Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Elite Fan

The Bijal and Eli Thread: Bijal and Eli rock!

This is the funniest picture I've seen in a while. It won't show up with img tags, but I suggest y'all click it. It's priceless.

From previous thread:

Wow, I think that's the longest Pea post ever.

Quote:
Originally posted by yoshhh

From the articles that I've read, I always got the impression that Edie was a shoo-in this year and that Amber was the favorite. But that was just from the articles that I've read.
Clearly. Cause most of the articles I've read have put Jen Garner's performance in the definite "should". And I think there are very few who hasn't had Edie Falco in the "will". Of course, I've read quite a few that has had Amber in the "should" as well, but just as many (if not more) that has said JG. So those two have been pretty even. Their reasoning has for the most part been Edie always wins and she is good, Amber has had a very stable and good season in a new and good show, but dramatic performance wise, Jen's performance in "The Two" is hands down the strongest (it's in general a very dramatic episode for her, but the ending scene has gotten the most attention). No one has said Mariska or Allison stand a chance. Well, some has mentioned Allison in the way that she's a favorite, she is good, but she's a supporting actor. In the reasoning for why Edie will win and not Amber or Jen it has often been that there's a clear bias towards action stars and JoA is probably too God'ish and preachy for the Hollywood atheists.

Some people has suggested that Edie and Jen pushed each other out cause of split votes. I hope that's not the case, cause I hate it when things like that happens.

In more fashion related news.

Mariska's dress is Vera Wang. I like her simple, yet elegant style. I remember liking her dresses almost every time.

I think someone mentioned Jen might have been wearing Oscar de la Renta, but I'm not sure. It would make sense, though. OdlR has a tendency to go over the top. It can go both ways in the fabulous stuff, but to me, more often than not, it's too much. Too much everything.

Last edited by Eliii; 09-20-2004 at 09:51 PM
Old 09-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Elite Fan

I think Jennifer Aniston looked really pretty. She always does though. The dress really compliments her, and her side dish (Brad) is looking mighty hot as well.

Old 09-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Elite Fan

I liked that she wasn't in black or dark blue for once. It shocked me, but in a good way. She could've done something with her hair, though. She has gorgeous hair. Don't just let it hang down like that.

Her side dish looked utterly and sinfully delicious last night. I mean, he always looks hot, but that buzz cut, tux and pair of shades really has to do things to the entire female popluation of the world. He's so gorgeous.

Last edited by Eliii; 09-20-2004 at 06:34 PM
Old 09-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Elite Fan

Her hair looks nice, but I agree that if swept up or something, it would look even better.

And Brad, oh my beloved Brad, he definatly surpassed his hotness scale last night. It was the perfect look for him.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Master Fan

OMG at that picture. I feel bad for Ben. Seriously. The guy has had bad press for a very long time.

I felt bad for Allison when she won because she looked like she knew she shouldn't have won. That must be a very sucky feeling. I could tell that she thought Mariska should've won or maybe they are just friends.

JA's hair looks great in the second picture, but in the first one it makes her look like a hippie.

BTW, that wasn't my longest post. I think my longest post probably was DC related. Yeah, it's sad.

Edited to add: Yay! New thread! Do you hate coming up with new titles? It can't be easy.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Elite Fan

I loathe coming up with new titles. Speaking of that, Katie, you need to edit it. There's an 's' too many. It's supposed to be "rock" when we're more than one. I hate that I can't change the title myself. So you have to do it right away. Bijal will throw a fit if there's a wrong spelling in the title of all places. Actually, so will I.

In any event. The Ben thing. The funniest thing is that he got in the car and drove with the mag still hanging there.

I've heard that the whole dragging Mariska up on stage was so weird. Also, since she did it, she shouldn't just have put her in the corner or something. Apparently it looked like she put Mariska in an awkward position. So Allison is getting some pepper for her thanking speech behavior. I haven't seen myself, so I just go by what I've read.

Oh, and Meryl Streep is so cute. But clearly she was drunk, hee.

Jen's hair is okay. I expect more than okay, though.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Master Fan

Each time I see her hair I think of Darryl Hannah in Splash. Maybe when her hair is long enough, she can walk around with nothing on Ooh! And Brad too. Hee

Mariska did look awkward when she went up onstage. I think it didn't work because Allison said Edie's name a little later than Mariska's then Jen and Amber's. It totally didn't help that no one else went up Poor Allison. Oh and there was that bit when Allison finished her speech then went back to say sth, but the mic was off. Didn't sth like that happen to Nic at the Academy Awards? I hate it when stuff that like happens to people I like. It should happen to people like Mischa. Grr.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliii
Bijal will throw a fit if there's a wrong spelling in the title of all places. Actually, so will I.
I won't throw a fit, but I did notice right away and came in to announce that there was a grammatical error in the title. ;p

Allison definitely shouldn't have pulled Mariska up there. It was awkward and weird and wtf was poor Mariska supposed to do? It's not like she pulled a Ving Rhames and *gave* her Emmy to Mariska, so it was so just plain weird to have her stand there and for what? Mariska looked so uncomfortable and Allison just sounded flustered and stunned, so perhaps that's the only explanation for such odd behavior. It was amusing that she thanked Aaron Sorkin first and then had to cover and thank John Wells and Co. since Aaron had nothing to do with this season.

Meryl was drunk, yes. But amusing. I'd be drunk too if I had to sit through that.

Quote:
but dramatic performance wise, Jen's performance in "The Two" is hands down the strongest (it's in general a very dramatic episode for her, but the ending scene has gotten the most attention).
I agree in that, of the clips submitted, this was the best performance, but it's obvious that the Academy is not judging according to the best performance in the submitted clips. Oftentimes, it seems more like they're judging on the basis of the consistency of performance throughout the show. I understand that submission of clips is to familiarize voters with the performance and actors, as well as to play up the strengths of a specific performance, but maybe the voters are considering other factors. I don't know what can be considered, but it's evident they don't just decide based on the clips submitted. I'm not exactly sure if they even should decide based simply on a clip, especially given that the category is called "Lead Actress in a Drama Series." That, to me, connotes a strong, consistent performance throughout the entire season. The problem with that, though, is it may make it harder to choose when you're faced with actors who have all given that type of performance worthy of recognition. Plus, it's highly unlikely that each voter has seen entire seasons (or, at the very least, several continuous episodes or a plot arc) for each television show for each respective actress. We're better suited for that kind of judging, since oftentimes, the viewer is watching entire seasons of several shows. So the deciding factor is something unknown - perhaps that is where the clip comes in. But is that the deciding factor? I dunno. It's interesting to watch externally since there are no clearcut guidelines as to what a voter is considering in judging a category.

Allison is a consistent actress, but she was given crap this year to work with. Her submission was okay, but not great. Jen is a consistent actress, but again, given crap to work with. Her submission was the best, not only of the category, but of her performance this season. Amber's consistent and the writing was not crap. Mariska's consistent, but her show isn't necessarily continiuous, i.e. there are a lot of stand-alone episodes, so it may make it more difficult to judge her. Edie's consistent and the writing on The Sopranos this year was very good. So, where does that leave the voter? It's hit or miss because there's so much left for personal preferences and other factors that remain unknown. And perhaps, what it comes down to, is a matter of personal preference. All of us have different ideas as to who should have won, and neither of us are wrong. Neither of were "right", either, but that's neither here nor there. Our picks are influenced by so many things, not just our consideration of an actress's performance. We're highly invested in several of these shows and sometimes, actresses, so that has to play a part. Perhaps the same goes for the voters. And is that wrong? For us, it's very difficult to objectively judge these types of performances; none of us here are objective. Yet we expect the voters to be the same. How and why? Again, I don't know, but the question remains. In the end, it seems to be a subjective issue, irrespective of pundits' proclamations as to who "should win."

I think I lost my point along the way, but I leave my post as is in case one of you manages to find it.

Lastly, Jen's dress was Chanel.

Quote:
I am kinda glad that The Sopranos won Best Drama because they've been nominated so many times, but have never won it because of the The West Wing. That being said, I hope that next year the winners won't be The Sopranos or The West Wing.
I would like to see more competition next year. The ladies from TLW, the cast of Arrested Development, and maybe even Lauren. But they'd probably surprise us all by nominating Joey.
Pea, totally agree about The Sopranos ending TWW's reign of victory and that next year, it should be something different. Anything different. Am very glad that SJP got her Emmy only because this means that she won't be around for more anytime soon. Good riddance. Unfortunately, I don't think TLW or even Dead Like Me register on the radar since DLM runs from July-December and TLW runs from Jan-May. It's an odd schedule and by the time the noms come out people have forgotten about DLM and TLW is too "liberal" for stuffy Hollywood. Nominating a bunch of actresses who play lipstick lesbians in West Hollywood? Oh, no, that might be controversial. Plus, maybe it hits a little too close to home.

Also, your icon? Scarier than Scorpius.

Last edited by *bijal*; 09-20-2004 at 11:13 PM
Old 09-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Elite Fan

wow, there's a Bijal and Eli thread! btw, this is Jan...remember me from the KH Aussie/Invader days?
"Wow. Who would've thought na ang makakapagpabago ng name ni Jan, ay si Hua Ze Lei?" - Pao
Old 09-21-2004, 04:51 AM
Master Fan

Lmfao at that picture of Ben, bwah... I guess it is safe to assume that they are aware of these rumours now. Lmfao. I have to say that Ben is looking like 3million times better than he has in ages. Looks like Jen has had him at the gym.

I hate that Mischa was there at the Emmy's surrounded by people who can give half way decent performances. Ugh. I wish it had been Peter Gallagher instead of her though, she's a bloody joke. But I'm happy that Ben and Adam were there though. Didn't watch it, but still happy.

<--- likes Jen Anistons hair *ducks*

Ugh!

<-- has officially handed in her *fan* status. Hmph!
Michael: Guess what, I have flaws. What are they? Oh, I don't know. I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me. That is the opposite of the point that I'm trying to make.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hua Ze Lei
wow, there's a Bijal and Eli thread! btw, this is Jan...remember me from the KH Aussie/Invader days?
Helloo Jan I remember you,,, huh you have name Hua Ze Lei are you F4 fans

Wow the title ist rock
Old 09-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Elite Fan

Whee, new Gilmore Girls tonight! Dude, I'm so excited. Luke and Lorelai. :giggles furiously:

Quote:
Originally posted by *bijal*
I won't throw a fit, but I did notice right away and came in to announce that there was a grammatical error in the title. ;p
Then yay for me noticing it myself. Thanks for changing it, Katie.

Yes, let's all just agree that the pulling Mariska up there was not a good move. But she asked the others up as well, yes? Yeah, that would've been fun.

You have good points re: the submitting and voting process. Not that I know how it works, but obviously the voters' personal opinion will affect who they vote for. We can just hope that they don't watch a lot of TV.

About the episode submissions. They have to take into consideration that the voters don't watch the show. And no, one episode can't exactly show how good or not they are as lead drama actresses, but, if chosen correctly, the episode can illustrate how the whole season has been. More or less. What I'm trying to say is that it's smart to choose an episode that can best show how the season has been. But obviously, they will submit the one they have the strongest performance in.

But then again, it all does come down to the voters and I don't really they care who everyone else says did the best and bla bla. Just like everyone else, they vote who they like the best. They're people as well. Probably not quite as invested in some of these people as some others are, but nevertheless.

Basically, I agree with you.

Quote:
Lastly, Jen's dress was Chanel.
Ohh, thanks you. And while the dress was a little whatever, cool that she wore Chanel. I think that other person thought it could've been Oscar de la Renta was cause a very similar dress (actually it does look pretty much the same) is in his collection for spring 2005. Suddenly it was a little cooler. All catwalk fashion'ish. And surprisingly, not everyone has her on the least best dressed lists, heh. ETA. Eonline says it's Oscar de la Renta. ****, always saying different designers with her. It makes sense, since the dress seems to be in the OdlR collection for spring '05. So where did you find Chanel?

I will reply to email later when I get back from class.

Jan! Dude, of course I remember you. How are you? *hugs*

Last edited by Eliii; 09-21-2004 at 04:45 PM
Old 09-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

Indri, def. I'm an F4 fan

Eli! I'm good, how are you? It looks like everyone migrated on over to this thread
"Wow. Who would've thought na ang makakapagpabago ng name ni Jan, ay si Hua Ze Lei?" - Pao
Old 09-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Master Fan

OMG LUKE AND LORELAI SQUEEEEEEEE!

Still have half an episode left, but OMG YAY!

Also? Big OMG YAY for OTH. SO CAN'T WAIT. Though I have to d/l it and watch it later since The Amazing Race is 2 hours tonight.

SQUEEEEEE!

Hi Jan!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Master Fan

Posting after myself, but I've never cared before, so why should I start now?

Okay, so my OMG YAYs still stand, but I had NO idea it'd make me CRY! I know, right?! I cried! Not like sobbing and heaving, but there were tears. The happy kind and the sad kind and everything in between because I loved this episode. I want to hug it and watch it again.

Now, I have to restrain myself from OTH so I can watch The Amazing Race. Wish me luck.

And another OMG of the "I can't wait" variety for next week's previews. Just in case you didn't follow - OMG I CAN"T WAIT.

Yes, I am insane. Just go with it. It's fun.