Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

She was one of the strongest characters and got treated so badly!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It was b.s. I always say if Roswell started out being from her POV then everyone would've loved her.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Yeah, I was she was introduced at the start or very early on in the season...so that people could see the real character of Tess

Quote:
Originally Posted by together for life (View Post)
She was one of the strongest characters and got treated so badly!
She did...
Old 01-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

People let romantic shipping turn them into unreasonable people.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

OMG, I love Tess so much! Read through this whole thread in one go, and it was such a joy, I love seeing Tess love!!

The brilliant thing about Tess that if we look at things, she kind of is a villain from the POV of the humans on the show... but she is also the hero from the POV of the Antarian people (and if we look at that way things, then Max and the rest of the gang are the villains) - I love it, because it was such a complex situation.

Also, I totally agree with those who said they wanted more of Tess x Liz, I loved their scenes so much. I hope Emilie and Shiri get to work together again someday.

And I adored all the Valenti Family scenes with Tess so much!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

welcome Diva Duckling to the thread and board

and yes with your post, lovely Valenti Family scenes with Tess
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Diva Duckling

Quote:
she kind of is a villain from the POV of the humans on the show... but she is also the hero from the POV of the Antarian people
And the thing is, not counting the whole killing Alex thing cause that was a pulled out of a hat kinda story, her behavior with the humans wasn't evil. The humans hating her cause she expected her family to be welcoming is a terrible reason.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

You just think 'hang on a minute'..
Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hi guys!

The thing with the whole Tess Killed Alex storyline is that I think it could have been good. I'm not opposed to the idea of Tess doing something like that - because to her, her Antarian heritage was what was most importnat, and I would have done many, many things to be able to go home, though killing Alex was an accident (and that was a tragedy in itself - tragedy number 1) - but using him for months wasn't. And I don't think that using Alex like that was something that Tess wouldn't do. Because all Tess wanted to do her whole life was to go home and reclaim her throne and save her people.

But then, after Nasedo died, she found family, a real family with the Valentis. She thought her whole destiny tied her to the other 3 hybrids, but they never cared about her. Tragedy number 2.
She dreamed about finding them, finding true family with them, but that was never in the cards. However she found a very real, loving, supportive family with the Valentis, and I belive after that Christmas episode she started to consider Roswell as her true home. At the same time, she already was using Alex and she knew if the humans find it out she would lose everything. It's like by the time she realized what she truly wanted was a family with Kyle and Jim, she succesfully maneuvered herself into a corner with the Alex situation. Tragedy number 3. And it's not like she (who had the most memories about their homeworld, who grew up being aware of their destiny her whole life) could just so easily forget about the millions on Antar who were waiting for their return. And I think that inner conflict in her maker her a very interesting character, and it would have made a truly awsome storyline if they botehred to explore it more.

And then she -the girl who was horrified by the very idea of Nasedo killing people- accidentally killed Alex and felt she had to hide the truth, and that happened in those months when for the first time ever in her life she was allowed to be simply just a teenager and was loved for simply being Tess. (By the Valentis, I mean. As you guys said, the others didn't give a damn about her.)

I think all in all this could have been a very tragic, but amazing character arc. With her ultimate failure and everything.

At least this is my take on Tess.

My beef with this whole thing is that they didn't build it up. They clearly just pulled out the whole "Tess is beinhd the things and she killed Alex" thing out of their asses in the last minute, so I'm not impressed. And yeah, they know Tess was a hated character and used this to get rid of her which is not cool. Also, they screwed over poor Emilie in the process.

By the way, have you seen this?

Treasure box (One of the writers of Roswell talking about Tess...)

I love what the writers say in that video about Tess.

Last edited by crazy_diamond; 01-06-2018 at 05:03 AM
Old 01-06-2018, 05:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

and I haven't seen the video for that, glad that one of the writers said that about Tess
Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I would've been more accepting of the Tess killed Alex storyline if the writers hadn't used it as a way to get rid of Tess in s3. They gave her one measly episode in s3 where she was treated like garbage instead of taking it as an opportunity to show her on Antar throughout the season, again not being treated right. They never let her get her POV across.

I remember seeing that interview years and years ago, back on the WB website. That's Ron Moore, who came on as a writer in s2. He was one of the better writers, and wrote the great MT episode Max in the City. Thanks for posting again.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

It was just weird all over
Old 01-07-2018, 02:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
I would've been more accepting of the Tess killed Alex storyline if the writers hadn't used it as a way to get rid of Tess in s3.
Yeah, that's why I didn't like that subplot either. And yes, I agree they could have given us an episode to show us her POV too, though I admit I liked 3x17. It was a very sad episode, but I loved Tess in it, she had some really awsome scene and she was a very active character until the very end.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Pick a personality for free
When you feel like nobody, body
source
Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome Diva Duckling

It is so lovely to see all this Tess discussion

If Roswell was told from Tess' POV it would have been a whole different story, and Tess would be seen as a hero not the villain they later portrayed her to be.

From the start all Tess wanted was to belong in a family and to return to her home planet. When she found the other hybrids she thought she had found home. But they didn't accept her like they should have as they grew up with human families and had no idea of the Antarian heritage like Tess did.

I loved the Arc with Max and Tess especially as she was vulnerable and herself with those scenes with Max He fell for her with no trickery just from getting to know her. Max in The City is one of my fave episodes.

Tess killing Alex was never intentional and she wanted him to help her get home. Alex' death was a tragic accident. I don't like that they used the storyline to basically get rid of Tess either!

Thank you for that gorgeous gif set