Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Total Fan

The Simpsons Episodes That Make You Cry

I've been meaning to ask this for years but I'm so lazy I keep forgetting.

Are there any Simpsons episodes or moments that have made you cry? There's 3 for me:

- Lisa's Substitute. Lisa gets a substitute teacher who's actually smart and engaging and really cares about the children and Lisa is crazy about him. But in the end, he's merely a substitute teacher and has to move on. Lisa tearfully understands. He tells her, "Whenever you feel that you're alone and there's nobody you can rely on, this is all you need to know," and hands her a note. Lisa chases the train as it pulls away, then looks at the note. The note reads, "You are Lisa Simpson." I've watched that episode a billion times and I cry every. single. time. In fact, just reading about it makes me tearful.

- The episode where Homer's mother comes back the first time. Homer's mom is a fugitive and in the end he has to help her escape, this of course means he might never see her again. During the credits we see him sitting on the hood of his car, alone, watching the stars. Man! That gets me all the time, too. And then there's this sad music playing in the background. Gosh, it's heartbreaking.

- And Maggie Makes Three. They're looking at a photo album and the kids wonder why there aren't any pictures of Maggie in it. Homer tells them, "Oh, there are pictures. I keep them where I need the most cheering up." Cut to his office at the nuclear plant: its walls are filled with pictures of Maggie and there's a message saying, "Do it for her." AW!

Okay, I'll stop before I start crying. Does anyone wanna add more?

Somewhere over the rainbow... there's another rainbow.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Elite Fan

Those are some good ones you mentioned.

I always cry in that episode where Marge is thinking about heading to Jacques apartment and deciding whether to go there or to Homer's job but in the end she goes with Homer and it's just so awesome because I remember Homer is looking so sad but when he sees her he gets all happy. I always cry.

Also gotta mention the episode where it's Lisa's Birthday and Bart with the help of the MJ patient sings a song for her. Love eps with Bart and Lisa.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Passionate Fan

The one where Homer thought he was going to die and during his last night, while everyone is asleep he goes and says goodbye to the kids,

"Goodbye, Maggie. Stay as sweet as you are.
Goodbye, Lisa. I know you'll make me proud.
Goodbye, Bart. ... I like your sheets."

then goes downstairs and is sitting in the chair listening to the cassette tape all alone. That was really sad.

Avy: pessimistreader
Old 05-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah that's a sad scene where he says goodbye to the kids
Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Elite Fan

I thought there was another sad moment in the same episode. Homer made a list of things he needed to do before he died. When he got to spending time with Grampa, Homer couldn't get away from him. Then Homer had to cross off things on his list because he didn't have enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -= Lazy Days =-
Cut to his office at the nuclear plant: its walls are filled with pictures of Maggie and there's a message saying, "Do it for her." AW!
I remember that - it was hiding some sign saying "Don't forget, you're here forever" That last scene was definitely an awwww moment.

BTW, welcome back Caro!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
- Lisa's Substitute. Lisa gets a substitute teacher who's actually smart and engaging and really cares about the children and Lisa is crazy about him. But in the end, he's merely a substitute teacher and has to move on. Lisa tearfully understands. He tells her, "Whenever you feel that you're alone and there's nobody you can rely on, this is all you need to know," and hands her a note. Lisa chases the train as it pulls away, then looks at the note. The note reads, "You are Lisa Simpson." I've watched that episode a billion times and I cry every. single. time. In fact, just reading about it makes me tearful.
I love when Homer is trying to comfort Lisa and says that's she's much smarter than him and that "there's probably some place where you all get together and the food is real good and guys like me are serving drinks."

I think some of the most touching moments in this episode, and in the entire series even, come between Lisa and Homer. I think there's another episode I find extremely emotional, one I was even ashamed to admit to for many years, but at the moment it slips my mind (yes, I know, how convenient)

While more of and "aw" moment than a "sniff" moment, I also love when Homer says "if I could gouge out somebody else's eyes and shove them into my sockets I would, but to me she's beautiful."

Yea... Lisa and Homer... they just do it for me, I guess.

You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Elite Fan

How about the episode where Homer has the crayon removed from his brain?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Elite Fan

Claire- I have to agree with Homer and Lisa scenes. I have loved the emotional scenes that they've had over the years.

Cyn- yeah when Lisa reads the letter Homer wrote before he put the crayon back again.

One scene that I like that gets me everytime is the one where Homer and Lisa are in some water tanks and then we see that Homer and Lisa are at some place and Lisa is in Homer's body and realizes that Homer takes Lisa to these places to make her happy even though he might not like it.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:49 AM
New Fan

How about when Maggie says her first word: "Daddy" after Homer tucked her

^ Greatest fanart thread

Simpsons quote of the week:

Bart: So, I figured I could be like your.. co-president!
Lisa: Co-president? Are you crazy?
Bart: Mom! Lisa won't share!
Marge: Be nice to your brother Lisa!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Elite Fan

Kyle- I love that scene where Maggie says "Daddy"
Old 06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

When I saw this thread title, "And Maggie makes three" was the first thing I thought of. Homer's station with all those pictures of Maggie...

I know this is silly, but it was sad when Milhouse and Samantha Stanky were separated, and she ended up at that Catholic school.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Elite Fan

Pia- that was kinda sad. They liked each other and had to be separated.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 PM
New Fan

I never had any girlfriends in my life so I don't know how it feels to break up...

^ Greatest fanart thread

Simpsons quote of the week:

Bart: So, I figured I could be like your.. co-president!
Lisa: Co-president? Are you crazy?
Bart: Mom! Lisa won't share!
Marge: Be nice to your brother Lisa!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Elite Fan

Well the episode didn't really make me cry but it was that one scene. It was when Maggie had to leave the grizzly bears she was staying with. And one of the bears that had the pacifier looked like he was going to cry.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:48 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I've been meaning to ask this for years but I'm so lazy I keep forgetting.

Are there any Simpsons episodes or moments that have made you cry? There's 3 for me:
The Olympics episode where homer buys all the springs, and gives a few a way at the bar and Lenny and Carl get their eyelids hook together by one. I just cringe every time I see it. Same witht he episode where homer and marge go to get life insurance and homer gets his hand stuck in the paper shredder.