Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Elite Fan

JM joins cast of Smallville (Spoiler Zone) -He Even Makes Oozing Black Goo Look Sexy!

Beware....this is a thread for talking about JM joining the cast of Smallville. There may be spoilers in some of the articles posted here. If you want to be spoiler-free this is not the thread for you!
That being said.....remember that we do have a "Spoiler" area for plot lines and major spoilers etc.

This is for JM specific info and thoughts on his new role.
from the San Jose Mercury News
The new TV season:

Facing a move to a tough 8 p.m. Thursday time period, "Smallville'' is trying to add some kick this season starting with a guest spot by James Marsters (Spike on "Buffy'' and "Angel'') as Brainiac, one of Superman's long-time sparring partners.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Supreme Fan

I just read this at another forumboard. This is so amazing!

Your favorite screencaps site

My tumblr
Old 07-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Elite Fan

Been hoping and wishing to get JM back on our tv screens and now he will be...I'm good with it.

And the UKers should be happy...because they get this on E4 shortly after the US, and at some point turns up on C4, ages later - a bit like Buffy on Sky and the BBC.

Here's some further info from IFMagazine:

THE SKINNY: Some major announcements today from the WB regarding SMALLVILLE which is entering its fifth season this year. Former BUFFY/ANGEL star James Marsters (who played the vampire Spike on both series), joing the cast of SMALLVILLE for a multiple episode arc. He will portray Brainiac, the classic DC Comics villain and one of the Man-of-Steel's most formidable enemies. Additionally, one episode this season will reunite series star John Schneider with his former “Dukes of Hazzard” co-star, Tom Wopat.

Marsters plays college professor Milton Fine, alter ego of the uber-villain Brainiac. Possessed of a vast, superior knowledge limited only by his hubris and emotions, Brainiac comes to earth armed with a secret about Clark's biological family and the truth about Krypton's demise. Brainiac's presence in Smallville will have a devastating effect on Clark and Lex's already deteriorating friendship.

Marsters first appeared on The WB in the critically acclaimed hit series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” as Spike, the vampire who first tries to kill Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar), but ultimately falls in love with her. After five seasons on the show and Spike's untimely demise, Marsters' character was reborn as a ghost on the series spin-off “Angel,” starring David Boreanaz.

Marsters began his professional career in the theater, performing in stage productions including “The Tempest” and “Red Noses” at Chicago's renowned Goodman Theatre. In addition, Marsters revisited the stage in Los Angeles with a starring role in an original play produced by Noah Wyle, titled “The Why.” Additional television roles include a guest appearance on “Northern Exposure” and the series “Strange Frequency” for VH1, as well as on Gene Roddenberry's “Andromeda.”

Brainiac is the latest DC Comics character to appear in SMALLVILLE. The Flash, Mxyzptlk and Perry White have all made appearances during the series run. Last season, Lois Lane (Erica Durance) joined the cast.

Also this season on SMALLVILLE, veteran actor and Broadway star Tom Wopat will portray a state senator who was a boyhood friend of Jonathan Kent (Schneider). In addition to his role co-starring with Schneider on the hit television series “The Dukes of Hazzard,” Wopat starred in the popular sitcom “Cybill,” with Cybill Shepherd, and in the daytime drama “All My Children.” He was also nominated for Broadway's 1999 Tony Award as Best Actor (Musical) for his role opposite Bernadette Peters in the revival of “Annie Get Your Gun.”
Old 07-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Loyal Fan

sparring partner? Well, we all know James knows how to spar! LOL

Links to Melanie's world...
Spike: Soul Survivor My LJ
Old 07-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Elite Fan

Every day that I think about this,I get more excited. This role has a lot of potential for James. I can hardly wait!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wait a minute... I don't watch Smallville at all... Are we gonna get to see James in tights!?!?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Elite Fan

No,babe,you are going to see Professor Milton Fine...I am thinking "William" or "Indiana Jones" when he was teaching at that college. Wire-rimmed glasses ala "Cool Money"...(I hope). A nice cardigan sweater like he was wearing at the last Con.Hair a bit longer and maybe slightly rumpled. And then Brainiac will take over but Smallville does not do the tights and capes thing. I think it will just be something internal James does. I think we are going to love the screencaps we get from this.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Fan

Okay, I'll admit it, my first reaction when I read this was Nooooo. Not a bad no, just not a good one either. Why? Because I don't watch Smallville and what little I've watched, has annoyed me. I do like Lex though.

I know zero about the Superman verse, just what it's common knowledge, so I have no idea who Brainiac is, but if you guys say it's a good character with a lot of potential for James to show off his acting skills, then consider this fan a happy girl.

I'm beyond happy to have James back, I wish it was in a series of his own, but I'll take James anyway I can get him. Hopefully at some point, he will get his own show, his continued association with the WB makes me hopeful. They love him over there, can't seem to let him go

Oh man, this season is going to wreack havoc in my schedule. Most TV shows I watch are going against each other, and now I have to worry about adding Smallville to the list. Ack!

PR
icon-Becca (onelove.oneheart)
Old 07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Elite Fan

Here's a good article from Scifiwire and a bit more about the arc for James' character:
(WARNING contains SPOILERS)

Smallville Has Marsters And More

James Marsters, best known as the blond, British vampire Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, will be making a guest appearance in the upcoming season of Smallville, the WB network announced. At the Television Critics Press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif., Smallville star Tom Welling announced that Marsters would be playing a character from the original DC comic-book series. "Joining us this season will be another famous character from Superman lore, Milton Fine, also known as Brainiac," Welling told critics. "Brainiac, the ultimate villain, will be played by someone you are very familiar with, James Marsters of Angel, but this time without the British accent and the blond hair, which I'm kind of sad about, but we'll see."

In an interview with SCI FI Wire, executive producer Al Gough said that he and the other writers had been wanting to introduce the character for a while, and always had Marsters in mind for the role. "We always thought he was fantastic in Buffy and then in Angel, and he just felt like he'd be a good fit for this character," he said. "He was always sort of the first guy we wanted, and we met with him and told him the arc for what we wanted for Milton Fine as Brainiac."

Brainiac will be introduced as a college professor who tries to turn Clark against humanity, according to Gough. "He's a wonderful actor beyond being Spike, so I think he'll bring all of that to the role," he said. "We've talked about it, and what's nice is, he's going to be one of Clark's college professors. ... It's more of the grand seduction of Clark Kent rather than someone coming in and them throwing each other around. And I think James is really up for the challenge."
Old 07-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Just stopping by. Not sure if anyone here knows this site...but it's a great source for Smallville info and they get alot of spoilers put down ahead of time for episodes. I believe they ahve a mention of James in there already too.

Can't wait to see him on the show. Gonna be great.

Sorry,editted because FF doesn't allow links to other fan forum message boards (But if anyone desperately wants to know....there's always the PM system. ) And welcome to the board,Skydagger,hope to see you post again.

Victims, aren't we all? --

+Skydagger+
Old 07-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Elite Fan

Here's a little cloud brought to us by the Sun-Sentinel. Smallville will have very stiff competition in that timeslot:

Smallville is relocating this fall to what is becoming the most contentious hour of the week, 8 p.m. Thursday. In addition to incumbents Survivor, The O.C. and Joey/Will & Grace, ABC has shifted Alias into the time slot and UPN has scheduled the most promising newcomer of the season there, Everybody Hates Chris.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengaria
No,babe,you are going to see Professor Milton Fine...I am thinking "William" or "Indiana Jones" when he was teaching at that college. Wire-rimmed glasses ala "Cool Money"...(I hope). A nice cardigan sweater like he was wearing at the last Con.Hair a bit longer and maybe slightly rumpled. And then Brainiac will take over but Smallville does not do the tights and capes thing. I think it will just be something internal James does. I think we are going to love the screencaps we get from this.
Ooh! I love Indiana Jones he has the same last name as me

I watched the three movies the other week when I was really stressed out about my exams.

...I still want tights maybe I could make a manip...
Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

From spikeylover on my LJ:

Quote:
James Management makes an official announcement on his site.

http://www.jamesmarsters.com/home.html

Can I just say after all the bull**** I've read from his concerned fans who act like they are his mother.. BWA HA HA HA HA..

that is all..

NEWS FLASH 7/25/05
Sorry for the late announcement (was on vacation) - Yes, James is set to play the recurring role of “Agent Dox” on the hit WB series “Smallville”. He is very happy to be working with the talented creative writers, producers and actors on this show. Thank you to all of you who voiced your support and (quite frankly) screw the nay sayers who think they know better :-)
To any of you concerned that this will affect the Toronto or London dates, don’t worry, James is contractually cleared for these dates.
Steve Himber

So it's Vril Dox, huh? (I have no idea the spelling on that) That makes it even better and more interesting.
I wish that they would make up their minds!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Extreme Fan

If you want to find out more about the charecter go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainiac_(comics)

P.S Vril dox is braniac.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Ohhhhhh cool!