Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Elite Fan

Merry Fisticuffs - Discussion

Luke and Lorelai share a sweet moment; Christopher worries that Lorelai is not fully committed to their marriage; Luke and Christopher have an ugly confrontation.
RoxyBlueGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the thread, Roxy!

LL in the same scene...? *slaps self across face* Am I dreaming?
Lolabelle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Absolute Fan

ok, so overall the episode was pretty good, not as great as last week, but still then most of the other episodes this season.

Good:

- Luke watching Doula and a Luke/Liz scene with no TJ, fantastic
- Logan/Rory using family passes, funny stuff
- an L/L scene including a baby?
- Love that Luke is suing for custody, even though it probably won't turn out so great
- love that this is finally the beginning of the end of C/L; she doesn't want to move, and he doesn't fit in the hollow, he wants a baby, she doesn't, etc. the marriage is falling apart
- glad Logan finally told Lucy the truth, but i still don't understand the point of the Marty storyline
- loved Kirk again this week
- looks like the end of Rory's friendship with Lucy and Olivia, thank God!
- loved Emily's speech, so an anvil

Bad:

- no Paris (the person) or Lane or Michel or Sookie
- the "fight" between Chris and Luke, it was funny, but stupid and there really was no point
- Christopher was just a jerk this entire episode, glad there are only 3 epidoes left in DS's contract
- Logan and Rory seem to be hitting another rough patch over something stupid, fantastic
- Aerie Girls being stupid
- almost another month and a half before we get a new episode

i liked the episode, but it was kinda blah. the last scene definitly left you with something to think about over the break, though. over all, i'd say a 6/10, wasn't great, but wasn't bad either.
Reshop Heda - Icon
cloudmymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

love the LL scene!!!!!!! the best part was when luke punched chris!!!! i love seeing marty in the show again!
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
ocfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

So yeah not a bad eppie. The fight was funny but at the same time real ridiculous. It was weird too without any kinda music playing or something. IDK. Neway Iam glad as well the CL story is coming to an end. I hope things pick up again soon.

Wilhelmina: You're not here to stitch, you're here to snitch!
Marc: She needs information, bitch!
Lorelai & Luke - Daniel & Betty - Ross & Rachel
Shrty1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Supreme Fan

WOOHOO

I the fight

it wasnt about lorelai. it was just because they were pissed but not about each other just to get the madness out of the system

GREAT loved it

____

LL scene was cute
Old 12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Extreme Fan

I agree with Zut. Good, but not amazing or terrible. I mean, don't get me wrong, I had to do a double take when I saw LL in the same scene/with Doula and then squee like alot of other LL fans, but I felt like there was alot of stuff missing. Mostly townie stuff I'd bet, but since we got so much of them last week they wouldn't give them to us this week.

I really enjoyed that it's the begining of the end of LC. And Emily's speech about it. It was great. One of those times where you just want to hug her and pump your fist in the air yelling "YES! YES! LISTEN TO HER, LORELAI!" Anvil, anyone?

The Luke/Chris fight was... weird. I was laughing through the whole thing. Personally, I htink that if you're going to do something big like that, it shouldn't last 30 seconds and have most of it being them staring intently at each other and removing various clothing items.

And, I actually sided with Logan! I thought that Rory should have told Lucy sooner. And I'm glad that he said something now rather than later. And in a way, I can't help but cheer that her annoying friends might disappear, but it's also sad because those are Rory's only real friends at Yale besides Paris. (Who is MIA).
Lolabelle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

This episode was a little slow for me. It wasn't horrible, but it was a little below average. I think I just wanted a little bit more Rory. I felt like we barely saw her in this episode. I'm sure it was more balanced than I think though.

I'm glad Luke is now seeking legal help. His requests are reasonable, and it's too bad that because Anna kept April away from him and he now has a slim chance of winning.

I hate how things ended for Rory and Logan. And I'm really sad that Rory's losing two friends she made on her own. I liked Lucy and Olivia.

Chris is right about Lorelai always getting what she wants. She needs to compromise some, and I'm glad Emily told her that. Their marriage isn't going to succeed otherwise.

The Chris/Luke fight was weird and pointless.
RoxyBlueGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyBlueGirl7 (View Post)
The Chris/Luke fight was weird and pointless.

And I always wanted some action...but weird and pointless....so weird
Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Absolute Fan

Okay...Um...

My immediate reaction from this episode: I was extremely underwhelmed.

As opposed to Heroes or Scrubs, I realize I am just watching this show out of feeling obligated to as a 'GG Fan', not because I really look forward to it. They keep shoving us crapola.

I'm not sure how I liked how they handled a few things this episode. Number one, of course, being the fight.

ETA: Also, it seems like the only purpose of the fight was to podify Luke so he has less chances of winning partial custody...just because it makes better drama.. Way to go writers. It was so out of the blue, that fight, it was awful storytelling...just...awful. And all it's meant to do is to suggest that Luke's aggressive?
Stupid stupid stupid.

Last edited by MickeyJr3000; 12-05-2006 at 09:21 PM
MickeyJr3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherjunkie (View Post)

And I always wanted some action...but weird and pointless....so weird
yeh! I was really excited for hte fight thinking they would exchange some words - you know verbally but all they did was act and fight rweird and it was jusst random. Like they didnt even start talking to each other badly or wtrvr to cause the fight it was just like a 30 sec thing that did nothing.... i mean we know that Luke hates Chris and vic versa. He punched him already in 7.02. Today i was hoping for nore of a fight between words/over Lorelai then them jsut beating one another up.

Idk just my opinion

But LL with the baby was just
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

MickeyJr3000, you said it perfectly: Underwhelmed! That's how I feel about this entire season. I've waited until now to pass judgement, but I'm dying here! Is it just me or is LG practlically phoning in her perfomances. She acts as if she would rather not even be there. The writing has been awful as well, so maybe she's just working with what she's got. I don't know, it's just that in the past, everything seemed to mesh together in a perfect way... I'm talking Main plots, sub plots, and all the awesome cameo's by all the crazy townspeople. It's all so scattered this season. Sorry about my rant, I just had to get it out.

Oh, and to give my two cents about this episode, "boring!"
TheTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Passionate Fan

I agree the fight between Luke and Christopher was dumb. As for what Logan did, yes Rory should have told her sooner but like you guys, I miss Paris and am glad that those two are gone. At first, I was not sure what Logan's motivaton was. I thought maybe he did not Rory to be with anyone but him but he has no problem with Lane or Paris.

Loved Emily's advice to Loralie.
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyBlueGirl7 (View Post)
This episode was a little slow for me. It wasn't horrible, but it was a little below average.
It felt more than a little slow to me.

And that "sweet LL moment"? More like a few seconds.

About RL - I thought Logan was the only adult in the restaurant scene. That might have been intentional, but Rory had already told Logan that the whole Marty situation felt like being back in junior high (perhaps that was an anvil about her parents? snark)

RL's argument didn't show develop any meaningful insights about Rory, and this storyline strikes me as a waste of Marty's character - in short, there must be a better way to explore the difficulties of maintaining a college relationship when one person moves on into the 'real' world.

The CLL triangle gets weirder and stupider every week. It's totally destroying Lorelai's character. I practically don't care who she 'chooses' any more, and what's this about 'choice', anyway. She told us who she loves in 701, he told her he was 'over it' in 702 - and yes, she's said way too many ILYs to Christopher, but she's not even convincing herself, let alone the audience. If the show had to explore CL, couldn't they at least have done something more interesting than dragging out 13 episodes to prove she doesn't really love him? Which is obviously why she's not "compromising". Difficult to compromise about fundamental choices like children and vows when you don't actually love your husband. She can hardly say that to Emily of course - but yawn, don't the rest of us already know it?

Emily was excellent as ever, but Lorelai has become such a childish cylon that I don't even really care about their core relationship any more. At least their scenes together still sparkle. They're the only scenes that do.

I found the wrestling match pathetic.

And one year after the rift ended, all we get of Lorelai and Rory is two phonecalls?

The only storyline that interests me now is Luke's access to April. And much as that moves me - on a show called Gilmore Girls? In what may very well be its last year? I love Luke too, but this just isn't right.

I eat all my words where I ever hoped for another Christmas in Stars Hollow. If any one else saw Studio 60 last night - it was amazing and awesome and leaves our show in the dust. That is how to write a Christmas episode.

This should have been so much more.

Lorelai, about her dog: He's totally fine having his personal freedoms slowly stripped away,
as long as he's completely unaware that it's happening - just like a true American.
caf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Passionate Fan

1) House hunting scene was kinda cute but the dialogue seemed for lack of a better word dumb. And I think I've finally put a finger on why. With ASP so much dialogue was crammed and the references so random that I basically just discounted what she was saying as actually coming from Lorelai. It became a Charlie Brown-esque "Blah Blah Blah." Now that she is saying stupid things in a slower and more deliberate fashion (rather than in a more rapid disjounted fashion) she seemed like she really does mean what she is saying and really IS a space cadet.

2) For once Liz's scenes didn't bug me. She was human and genuine rather than just out there. Of course pawning the kid off to Luke was a little underhanded. But I guess she really needed a break.

Also agree with her kid naming philosophy. You should give kids a unique name. Nothing that'll get them teased or beat up. But it's boring to give out a generic name.

3) Lorelai - Christopher dynamic was Christopher making a suggestion and then giving in without question until he finally blew. Makes me wonder if he Chris did something similar with Sherry where she basically gave him a makeover and made him do things on her terms.

Lack of communication killed Luke-Lorelai and will kill Chris-Lorelai if they don't watch it. The particulars of the issues weren't really an issue except perhaps for the wedding vow thing. After Lorelai acted embarassed to acknowledge they were married to the town... that must've REALLY hurt him that she was so adamantly against it.

I wonder if she likes the idea of being married more than actually being married? And Chris needs to express his feelings rather than letting them build until he blows.

4) Wow Krysten looked a lot paler than Alexis. Course Krysten was wearing a LOT less makeup than Alexis also seemed a bit raccoon eyed.

5) Again with Marty. Understood why he avoided Rory. Why he just tried to pretend when first confronted that he barely knew her. Why he held out THIS long just perplexes me. Particularly when confronted with a person like Logan who has showed nothing but disdain, antagonism, and joy at making him suffer. In fact Logan gave him the perfect excuses to come free. Not the crush thing which really was too awkward to explain but an explanation with a degree of "truthiness."

He hung out with Rory freshmen year but was really hurt when she went out with someone who went out of their way to be obnoxious towards him. That's why he avoided her and why he acted as if he didn't know her. But that was a long time ago and he realizes he needs to move beyond that and it was mistake not acknowledging what had transpired but it was something that he felt wounded by.

Waiting until that dinner was a big mistake since he had to know Logan well enough that he'd go out of his way to make him look bad in front of his current girlfriend (as well as Rory) and would jump on ANYTHING he thought smelled funny.

6) Rory probably shouldn't have told Logan about Marty saying she looked pretty. It was a tad inappropriate but people tend to say things a but inappropriate when they had too much to drink. It wasn't necessarily anything all that meaningful. Not like he tried to grope her or something. And it was the type of thing that a boyfriend could easily misconstrue. Sometimes things are best left unsaid.

But I won't criticize Rory for being a little bit too truthful since the opposite might've been worse (as we see with Marty and Lucy).

7) Logan was just being an obnoxious jerk. I think he was partially motivated by a tinge of jealousy. But given how he treated Marty in the past I think he would've done the same thing regardless. Not because he cared about Lucy but just because Marty was a shmoe he just takes joy picking on.

8) I liked the Luke - April storyline as usual. The attorney was straight forward and honest with Luke as he should be. But he didn't seem quite like someone who was going to go all out for Luke even if expressing a willingness to get into the dirt for him.

Anna is certainly boxing him in.

And I might add this is why I wouldn't mind a Luke-April spinoff. I find this story much more interesting than the others. I'd be perfectly fine with both Rory AND Lorelai being written out of the story. At least the Luke-April part isn't stale and at least it involves something besides romantic "intrigue."

9) Though Lorelai didnt want to hear it Emily offered her great advice. Hope she listens because the last thing I really want is the love triangle to go full force so soon.

10) Spoke too soon. That fight was pointless and just irritating. As I said before if THIS is what the show is going to give us I hope neither of them get Lorelai (bring back Digger!). And what the hell is Luke doing after he was all but explicitly warned by his lawyer to not get himself into any trouble because it might imperil his custody battle for April. And Chris. Luke is bigger than you. What that means is in a fair fight.. you lose. So take a note from Luke and sucker punch him when he doesn't expect it or something underhanded like that. If you can't win fair, don't fight fair.

11) Airie girls actually served a purpose. Their "interest" in the love triangles only underscored how annoying those triangles are.

Want to spot a show on fumes that is running out of ideas? Look for the ones that are totally lost beyond having all their characters break up and get back together again. I really hope Alexis and Lauren move on and don't take whatever money is being offered to them for an 8th season.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread