Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Max and Lorelai Nostalgia Thread--Because, once upon a time, she missed him

Okay, so I realize everyone is on a pretty big JavaJunkie high right now. And I have no intention of spoiling that fun. I am with you with the Luke/Lorelai love.

It's just that I just now finished watching the first season for the first time, and, as cute as Luke and Lorelai were even in Season 1, I found myself being sucked into a really wonderful 'ship for Max and Lorelai in spite of myself.

I had seen snippets of the show prior to this point including half of season 4, and was certain that I was squarely in the Luke camp.
And then Max came along. With his kind and ebullient smile. I was hooked from the very first handshake. Lorelai's floaty smile as she asks "Hey, are you this nice to my kid?"

I think it was the unexpected quality of every turn in their relationship that got me.
Scenes like watching Lorelai's face when she hears Max tell her on the answering machine that "it was a pleasure encountering you. I hope it happens again". That lit up, surprised happy smile.
And how quickly this relationship that they weren't even sure was smart to get into progressed into an unstoppable force. For the Pacey/Joey fans out there, it reminded me kind of, of them. The magnetic attraction, the heartache when they couldn't be together.
I was again caught off guard when Rory comes home and looks in her mother's room to find the usually composed and wise cracking Lorelai curled up tightly on her bed, crying tears of genuine heartache.

But, see, that's were I just expected it to stop. They kind of put him back on the back burner and I thought that was it. The story had run it's course and now back to Luke/Lorelai love again.

And then they threw me another curve. I guess I am just stupid, but when, in "The Break-up Part II" Rory asks her how long it took to get over Max, it didn't dawn on me at first, that she was not over him. That she had a Max box in the closet that made her make that angsty and compelling heartache face.
And, in a spectacular hour of Duh! for me, I also missed what was going on when she went to borrow Sookie's car.
Which made it all the more wonderful when she shows up at his door and he does not, as I was certain he would, have someone else there. And he invites her in and the magnetic pull just keeps pulling.

Okay. I don't want to take away from other people's discussion, if anyone likes this thread but I will just say, to get things going...a thousand yellow daisies--Best. Proposal. Ever!

What were your favorite moments? Don't limit them to season 1. I haven't seen season 2 but it might be a while, so I'd love to hear thoughts on the developments with that.

Okay. Anyone up for it?
Old 05-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

A pictoral

"Are you this nice to my kid?"

"I think we should date." "Why?" "Because we both want to."

winter wonderland...

Last kiss

"I missed you"

A thousand yellow daisies

"I love you, Lorelai Gilmore. And I know this to be true."
Old 05-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well I would have to admit that Lorelia and Max were a cute item at a point of time. Way better than Jason. I liked that he was close with Rory and how he wanted to be with Lorelia so much. The pictures are really cute by the way
My LJ
Old 05-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Elite Fan

*hurries in*

Hey! I'm here. the caps.

I like L/L just as friends and despite the kiss, am still sceptical on a potential relationship. So I say yeah! - especially since Chris had Sherry and Jason was so ewww! IMHO, I learnt to appreciate L/M again.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-23-2004, 02:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

My fave Lorelai/Max Scene

Hey Guys,

I was a fan of Lorelai and Max, even though I'm a hard core JJ. This is one of my fave scenes, I love how easily they talk, even tho they barely know eachother. I love the looks they get when the guy hears them talking about keeping Rory in a box! hehe Kills me every time.

Quote:
MR. MEDINA: Look I know that you are concerned about the appearance of us dating.

LORELAI: Yes I am.

MR. MEDINA: Well I can tell you that I am the soul of discretion when it comes to delicate relationships.

LORELAI: Dated a lot of Chilton moms, huh?

MR. MEDINA: No, I meant any relationships -- work, family.

LORELAI: Oh so you have things to hide in all aspects of your life -- very interesting.

MR. MEDINA: (to waitress) Do you have any hemlock back there? Arsenic, something quick?

LORELAI: Do you like rap music?

MR. MEDINA: Yeah.

LORELAI: Me too. Italian food?

LORELAI: Me too. You just telling me what I want to hear?

LORELAI: I knew it!

MR. MEDINA: Doesn't mean it doesn't coincide with how I really feel.

LORELAI: Yeah but if you're telling me what you think I want to hear then I'm not really getting to know you.

MR. MEDINA: And if I know what you want to hear that shows a level of understanding on my part that far exceeds your understanding of me. (Lorelai doesn't say anything). Who's the one laggin?

LORELAI: Uh...

MR. MEDINA: Wow, round one and already tapped!

LORELAI: (seriously) Rory is my life. She's my pal, my everything. And I would never, ever do anything that would hurt her.

MR. MEDINA: I understand. (A man sits down on the stool between them.) But Rory is not a baby anymore.

LORELAI: Don't say that! She's eight! She's eight and her favorite hobby is making necklaces out of gum wrappers.

MR. MEDINA: You could try stunting her growth, keeping her in a box, blowing cigarette smoke on her.

(The man gives Mr. Medina a strange look.)

MR. MEDINA: You are so taking this out of context.
And for some visual inspiration.

-Ainslie
there was cheesecake and pork chops everywhere.”
Old 05-23-2004, 04:02 AM
Passionate Fan

OMG fellow L/M fans!!!! I love this couple they rock boats.

People need to make shipper videos of them!
Old 05-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Dedicated Fan

I DID!!!

I DID make 'shipper videos of them. Two, in fact. Over the span of 48 hours I got so excited about them I made two videos and a passable wallpaper. See below.
And just as soon as I figure out how to upload them to the internet, I will be happy to share them here.
I made a sexy/funny one to Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head" and an angsty/melancholy one to a song called "High Places" by this Irish-Canadian band called Leahy.

I'm so EXCITED that other people love them as much as I do. I think there was so much untapped potential to this couple. As I said, I haven't seen season 2 but I did see the "Keg! Max!" one from season 3 and found myself realizing two beats too late (again) that that little funny/sad exchange between them when they go their separate ways and then bump back into each other down the hall, was the last time we would ever see them together.

I think the cutest thing in the world is how the furniture thing became a theme for them. How he kept insisting that furniture must be kept between them at all times because he couldn't be responsible for what might happen.

Cute random quote:

"I swear to God, if you try to give me that book one more time..."
(Paris is Burning 1:11)
Old 05-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Passionate Fan

ah total cuteness!
that's awesome you made some teachers pet videos! can we see them?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
that's awesome you made some teachers pet videos! can we see them?
As soon as I figure out hot to get them online. I'm trying to figure out how to make a web page but if anyone knows an easier way to do it, I'm all ears.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh um how about creating a geocites page or something? Then you can upload the videos on to it
Old 05-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

You could upload them to server space somewhere, and then link to them from here. Geoctities doesn't allow direct linking so I'm not sure it would work, but you could try. Then if it doesn't, you could make a simple page there and just have those links on it.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:40 AM
Dedicated Fan

Okay. Here goes. I hope this works.
These are my two videos that I made. I hope you like them

Can't Get You Out of My Head

High Places

I was working on trying to get an actual website up for them. And just as soon as I work out all the kinks, these should be up there. Along with a few pictures and not much else. I'm no webmistress but I thought they deserved a shrine, at least.

Last edited by Ender's_Jane; 05-26-2004 at 06:44 AM
Old 05-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Passionate Fan

They don't work for me dude. Something about a codec and not being able to support the file I think
Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Loyal Fan

yes, nice, but *sorry for shouting* WHY DID YOU PUT IN THE SCARY NIPPLE PICTURE!!!! *runs to toilet gagging*

no..just kidding....though it does scare me

i do believe that max was, for lorelai, the next best thing....she didn't realise that luke ahs everythings he wants yet....so she went for a guy who si very much like luke:

-taking care of rory
-dry humour
-dark haired
-big...nose
-bantering

he's sort of the luke that did go out there and go for lorelai....
{Sophie }<3{Smitty #666 }<3{Java Junkie }<3{Cerulean #19}

{ILY #17}{LL #12}{Keeper of Lorelai's arms during the ESK}

addict
Old 05-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
yes, nice, but *sorry for shouting* WHY DID YOU PUT IN THE SCARY NIPPLE PICTURE!!!! *runs to toilet gagging*
I assume you mean the bedroom scene. I just like their faces in it. They look so cozy and peaceful. I hadn't noticed the rest of it.

And maybe you have a point about Max. But it's one of those short lived romances that burned brightly and then burned out I guess. I had trouble deciding, in the first season, who to root for. Luke, who obviously was smitten with her (and vice versa) and Max who was sweet and bantery and who actually went out and acted--because he thought there was something there worthwhile.
I mean, there, its probably the only love triangle on tv where I've liked both competators equally.

I guess I will just have to ride it out until my illusions are inevitably shattered when I finally see season 2.

Quote:
They don't work for me dude. Something about a codec and not being able to support the file I think
I'm sorry that I don't know what to do about that. Whenever I click on them they com up when I'm online. They are windows media player files. I'm working on getting a website up. Maybe they would work better for you there, if I ever get this thing figured out.