Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2021, 03:59 PM
Master Fan

I also think part of her wanted it to be a final, nail on the coffin break from Luke, so her going to Chris and sleeping with him, would do that. She knew Chris wouldn't say no to her and it would be the one thing that would hurt Luke the most.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:45 PM
Moderator Support Team

I think she even says that doesn't she? "I wanted it to be over, I needed it to be over." after she tells Sookie about Luke coming over and all that..

she didn't give him back the ring so of course he wouldn't think it was over for good, I think. though I don't even remember if she was wearing it at that time..

the season 6 break up makes my heart hurt so much. and Luke's speech in S7.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:52 AM
Master Fan

Exactly yes, she does say that.

I wonder what she did do with the ring. Did she store it away? Or did it go along with all the Luke stuff she boxed up? I mean, if it did, she obviously gets it back since Luke gives it to her in AYITL. I do wonder what she did with all that stuff. I mean, there was a looooot of it lol. Or maybe she gives it to him (not her personally, but through someone) along with any stuff of his she gave back to him eventually? All things we have to speculate.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:00 AM
Part-Time Fan

I've been bingeing season 7 and skipping over a lot of scenes (sorry, Lorelai and Chris made me cringe and I don't have any interest in Rory/Logan), and I'm near the end, and Luke and Lorelai just apologized to each other for what happened. It was good to hear her apologizing for going to Christopher that night, and it was good to hear him owning up to and apologizing for what he did to their relationship with the whole April thing.
Does anyone else think Luke seemed OOC for season 7, at least the scenes I watched- I watched a lot of Luke and April scenes, and diner scenes when Lane and/or Zack were in them, but he just seems so different and idk if it's because I skipped too many scenes or if the writers didn't know how to write him, or if the more interesting and dynamic side of his personality was only brought out by Lorelai.
I wish they could have skipped the Lorelai/Chris storyline altogether. They could have used the way season 6 ended maybe for a few episodes at the beginning of he season somehow (so they wouldn't just drop it because that would feel a bit weird), but I think them being in a relationship and then eloping, and then trying to hold that relationship together through Chris's insane jealousy over anything involving Luke was just really contrived. And something about their relationship made my skin crawl lmao.
Making Lorelai break up with him rather than the other way around honestly makes her look bad and kind of flakey (this is probably magnified by my binge-watching, though. it might not have been as bad in real time). They could have used Christopher's disappearing act after he found her character reference for Luke as a way for him to leave her (and it would be more consistent to who he has been established as a character), so it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Chris came back but Lorelai was the one to break up with him.
Anyway, I deffo bailed on season 7 when it was on TV after the first 2 episodes, it seems. I have no recollection of any of this.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:25 AM
Master Fan

I'm currently on s7 on my recent rewatch and I have done the same. I skipped almost all Lorelai/Chris scenes because for me, they're just awkward to watch. Imo Lorelai was OOC or not herself when she was with him. She was putting on this front to seem happy, but because it's all fake happiness, She doesn't seem like Lorelai. She starts to become herself again once she realises her and Chris' relationship was a huge mistake.

I never found Luke to be OOC. I think what is was, was that he changed a little. The effect of the break up with Lorelai and becoming a dad, having to fight for April made him a little different, but in a good way. Like when he just buys the boat. As Lorelai said to him, it used to take him a week to pick socks. And then he tells her "things change."

The whole Chris/Lorelai relationship imo was unnecessary at that point. I wish they had just left it as a one night stand, that Lorelai regretted, and then they spent time on bringing Luke and Lorelai back together sooner, rather than just right at the end of the season. I didn't need to witness that relationship play out to know that they were never going to work out or meant to be. I knew that already.

I think I prefer that Lorelai was the one to break up with Chris because then it was her decision and that made it final. It wouldn't have sat as well with me if it was Chris just doing his disapering act and not coming back because then you might be left wondering.... would Lorelai still have tried to make it work, if he hadn't left? Her telling him that even if there was no Luke, she still couldn't be with him, gives a finality to it that was needed after that disastrous relationship.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebreath (View Post)
I'm currently on s7 on my recent rewatch and I have done the same. I skipped almost all Lorelai/Chris scenes because for me, they're just awkward to watch. Imo Lorelai was OOC or not herself when she was with him. She was putting on this front to seem happy, but because it's all fake happiness, She doesn't seem like Lorelai. She starts to become herself again once she realises her and Chris' relationship was a huge mistake.

I never found Luke to be OOC. I think what is was, was that he changed a little. The effect of the break up with Lorelai and becoming a dad, having to fight for April made him a little different, but in a good way. Like when he just buys the boat. As Lorelai said to him, it used to take him a week to pick socks. And then he tells her "things change."

The whole Chris/Lorelai relationship imo was unnecessary at that point. I wish they had just left it as a one night stand, that Lorelai regretted, and then they spent time on bringing Luke and Lorelai back together sooner, rather than just right at the end of the season. I didn't need to witness that relationship play out to know that they were never going to work out or meant to be. I knew that already.

I think I prefer that Lorelai was the one to break up with Chris because then it was her decision and that made it final. It wouldn't have sat as well with me if it was Chris just doing his disapering act and not coming back because then you might be left wondering.... would Lorelai still have tried to make it work, if he hadn't left? Her telling him that even if there was no Luke, she still couldn't be with him, gives a finality to it that was needed after that disastrous relationship.
Ooh, yeah, you make a lot of good points!
I think your observation was right about Lorelai being OOC while she was with Chris. Maybe that was one reason why that relationship seemed so cringey to me. They also didn't have much chemistry as a couple.I had always enjoyed their banter as friends at different times throughout the series, especially if it was something related to Emily and Richard. But that chemistry wasn't there when they were in an actual relationship.
And yeah, you're right- Lorelai being the one to break up with Chris gave it a definite ending. I hadn't thought of that before. Otherwise it would have been lingering in our (and her) minds about what happens if he comes back.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

The Lorelai and Chris chemistry always feels sibling like to me, so that adds to why I find them awkward together, when in a relationship. I just do not see anything romantic or sexual about their chemistry. Everything between them is superficial and surface level, it's not deep or meaningful, like that between Luke/Lorelai.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

I finished season 7. the last 5 episodes or so were actually really good. I'm glad Luke and Lorelai made their way back to each other.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:36 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, the last 5 eps I really enjoy. That's when things are back to feeling normal again. I love the episode where Lorelai and Luke go car shopping. I just wish they hadn't wasted 10 episodes on Lorelai/Chris and had worked on reuniting Lorelai/Luke earlier. I hate they only reunited at the very end of the last episode. Even though I love their reunion. I wanted more lol.

Last edited by onebreath; 04-08-2021 at 08:16 AM
Old 04-08-2021, 05:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

lol yeah, when they go car shopping I love that because things were so awkward between them, but then he finally got annoyed and went on a rant and they had their back and forth again, and I love it when Lorelai starts smiling as he’s ranting because she realizes they’re back in their groove again.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust (View Post)
lol yeah, when they go car shopping I love that because things were so awkward between them, but then he finally got annoyed and went on a rant and they had their back and forth again, and I love it when Lorelai starts smiling as he’s ranting because she realizes they’re back in their groove again.
I had the same expression as Lorelai watching their banter return! I loved that last half of the season watching Luke and Lorelai find their way back to each other.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:17 AM
Master Fan

Her smiling when he starts to rant is so damn adorable. As we know, she loves ranting Luke.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:51 PM
Moderator Support Team

I loved that too, so cute.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:45 PM
Master Fan

Everything was just right with the world again when she stepped back into that diner. Lorelai not being in Luke's diner until episode 19 of the season was wrong on so many levels. Like, the show isn't the show without Lorelai being at Luke's.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

It definitely feels so off not seeing Lorelai make her daily trips to Luke's.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread