Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Episode Discussion: Pilot (1x01)

I know this forum probably had episode discussions back in the days when Gilmore Girls was on the air, but why do they have to end? Why not revisit the series and talk about episodes as we did back then. And you know, maybe even get new theories going, new fanfics written...and just love the Gilmore Girls more than we already do...if that is possible

Synopsis:

After Rory is accepted to the prestigious Chilton Preparatory School, Lorelai is forced to go to her wealthy parents for financial assistance. Her parents happily loan their daughter the money in exchange for an end to the estrangement and a family dinner every Friday night. Unfortunately, things hit a snag when a cute new transfer student flirts with Rory, leading the younger Gilmore to wonder whether leaving Stars Hollow High is really what she wants.

So we start from the beginning with the pilot, talk about anything you want (regarding the episode that is)

--Patricia
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting this Patricia.

It has been so long since I have seen the pilot, but I liked Lorelai and Rory's fight when Lorelai found out Rory didn't want to go to Chilton after Lorelai had went to her parents to get money. That may sound weird, but it was a good scene. I liked how all the characters were introduced to us as well.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Thanks for starting, Patricia.

It's been awhile since I've seen the pilot as well. I like how all the characters were introduced as well. And with any TV show, it's funny to look back and see how the characters were in the pilot. Of course, the characters haven't developed yet, so they always seem a little different than they are the rest of the show.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Master Fan

Ohh this is a very nice idea! Thanks for the thread I'll watch the Pilot tonight and will post my thoughts tomorrow
Old 08-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplezbear (View Post)
Thanks for starting this Patricia.

It has been so long since I have seen the pilot, but I liked Lorelai and Rory's fight when Lorelai found out Rory didn't want to go to Chilton after Lorelai had went to her parents to get money. That may sound weird, but it was a good scene. I liked how all the characters were introduced to us as well.
it was great how they all knew each other and were this sense of family. They skipped over the scenes of seeing how hard it was for Lorelei to raise Rory at such a young age. However to find out about it later in the appropriate times was awesome too!

And Rory knew that they didn't have the money for Chilton and she never wanted Lorelei to bend over backwards for her, but it happened anyway. Rory deserved to go to Chilton. She was better than public school!
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Elite Fan

I love the family dynamics so much! It's incredible that even Sookie, Michel and Lorelai seemed like they had been working forever together. The chemistry between them was AMAZING. Not to mention the perfection of the Lorelai & Rory casting. I love how Rory and Dean met, and how they're positively babies in the Pilot.

The entire cast jumped right in with both feet and boy did they kill it. Lauren Graham was a powerhouse bring everyone all the threads together beautifully from day one! I mean, Lorelai begging Luke for coffee to start the series? It's almost too perfect. This is a pretty perfect Pilot. Every single thing worked.

A few caps.

I always forget the set for the house was different. Luke's was also a lot smaller.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for those caps! And thanks for starting this discussion!

I really love this episode. It captures everything I love about this show. It was funny, sweet, dramatic, romantic, and intelligent. The script was great and the actors really brought Stars Hollow to life.

My only complaint about the episode was that Sookie was a little too silly, but they changed that very quickly like they were reading my mind.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sookie always burning something, burning herself, that was needless. I mean she's supossed to be a top Chef at an inn...a hotel and she's burning the place down and acting like it's just another day on the job. I'm glad they changed her a little bit. I do love me some Sookie!
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissObsessive (View Post)
Thanks for those caps!

I really love this episode. It captures everything I love about this show. It was funny, sweet, dramatic, romantic, and intelligent. The script was great and the actors really brought Stars Hollow to life.

My only complaint about the episode was that Sookie was a little too silly, but they changed that very quickly like they were reading my mind.
My pleasure!

I agree. The Pilot is compressed GG, it's great how they were able to capture that essence so quickly!

Ahhhh, Sookie. I do think she was almost a cartoon with the burning and breaking and hurting herself. Melissa McCarthy was brilliant to be able to play her so well that she could still be funny and cute while constantly ruining the kitchen. Hee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_family (View Post)
Sookie always burning something, burning herself, that was needless. I mean she's supossed to be a top Chef at an inn...a hotel and she's burning the place down and acting like it's just another day on the job. I'm glad they changed her a little bit. I do love me some Sookie!
"I killed the Viking!" I can't imagine how she was in culinary school! Sookie is great, so bubbly and sweet.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't imagine how she made it through culinary school.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 08-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Thanks for the caps!

It is funny how the sets were different. A lot of times it's like that for pilots I believe. They don't know if the show is gonna be a success so they don't have permanent sets. If I remember correctly, I think parts of the pilot (or all of it) were filmed in Canda.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Extreme Fan

It's cute seeing all the characters/actors looking so young!

I really love the way you can see the whole Richard/Emily/Lorelai dynamic right from the start. I always love the intense family scenes.

Rory/Dean were freaking adorable. You can see a lot about her character in how she interacts with him -- being immediately impressed that he knew her reference, talking about reading, being so shy and barely getting a word out around him... Too cute. I loved shy, bookworm Rory a lot.

And of course I love Lorelai thinking Luke "looks nice" at the end. Hee.

I did notice that overall it had a slightly slower feel to it, though. I mean, there was still a lot of dialogue and everything, but to me the general pace was definitely slower than what was to come.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay (View Post)
Thanks for the caps!

It is funny how the sets were different. A lot of times it's like that for pilots I believe. They don't know if the show is gonna be a success so they don't have permanent sets. If I remember correctly, I think parts of the pilot (or all of it) were filmed in Canda.
yep, canada. main st. unionville was SH... and that street just happens to be 5 minutes from my house .

aw the early years of RD. Rory was really cute, getting all shy and nervous over Dean .

it was slower . the script was still awesome and witty but the pace was definitely not the same as some of the Lorelai rambles in later seasons. I was watching the pilot with a friend, and she said "OMG, I can actually understand what they're saying!"
Alice | previously AllieCat60
kingdom lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for posting those pictures.

I am also glad that they changed Sookie as well.

^^ that's cool where they shot the pilot is only a few minutes from where you live!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Elite Fan

Pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensinger (View Post)
It's cute seeing all the characters/actors looking so young!

I really love the way you can see the whole Richard/Emily/Lorelai dynamic right from the start. I always love the intense family scenes.

Rory/Dean were freaking adorable. You can see a lot about her character in how she interacts with him -- being immediately impressed that he knew her reference, talking about reading, being so shy and barely getting a word out around him... Too cute. I loved shy, bookworm Rory a lot.

And of course I love Lorelai thinking Luke "looks nice" at the end. Hee.

I did notice that overall it had a slightly slower feel to it, though. I mean, there was still a lot of dialogue and everything, but to me the general pace was definitely slower than what was to come.
Agreed! Haha, and Luke looking all bashful about being dressed up and looking 'nice' was great.

Bookworm, shy Rory is a treasure. I love how she was in "Gilmore speak" all the time, and how unsuspecting strangers had to sink or swim. Hee. Lorelai was also!

One of my favorite moments is when Lorelai makes the "bank job" comment to the Chilton official then has to explain what she meant. lol They talked to everyone like they had to KNOW what the heck they were talking about.

I'm always so impressed at how tight this Pilot was. The Richard/Emily/Lorelai dynamic Jen mentioned, and even Sookie and Lorelai talking about someday opening their own Inn.

It was so well constructed and beautifully made. You could see how passionate everyone was about the material.

Last edited by ROCKSTAR; 08-27-2009 at 04:56 PM
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread