Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting those links. Even this crazy fan learned a few things.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

You're adorkable!! - Hell on Heels
Old 11-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Absolute Fan

It's so cool that she's having so many interviews
Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Master Fan

411mania.com: Movies - 411mania Interviews: Shiri Appleby

Just so you know, I wouldn't give it up, no.
Jason Morgan & Sam Mccall
Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for the link!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for all the links, guys!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting that link. That was a great interview.

One thing that jumped out at me was the following question. This is not the 1st time Shiri mentioned Masters of Sex.

Al Norton: If you could control the casting universe and get yourself a guest spot on any show on TV, which would you choose?

Shiri Appleby: That's such a good question. You know what show I really want to do next? Masters of Sex. Such a good show. See if you can call someone and get me a job (laughing).

The following info below was posted on a blog I read in regards to the question above. They posted the 411mania interview and commented on it. I just want to see Shiri on a successful show. I miss her on TV.

* I missed that : ) That's the second time she mentioned MoS. Shiri is itching to do a period piece and at same time establish her new found credentials as an actor fearless to take on serious and potentially edgy roles. I'm confident, Eric we will see her in S2. Pretty sure the producers and Michelle Ashford would be delighted to have a top notch actress like Shiri offering herself to work on the show. They faced some hard time casting name actors in risque roles for debut season but with the critical and demo success, we can expect some well-known actors auditioning for recurring roles in far more elaborate S2. We have to wait and see what's Lifetime policy on allowing their actors appearing nude on another show at the same time. If UNREAL goes to series, Shiri could be contractual obligated to keep her clothes on though Lifetime are embracing mature, current approach to their shows and UNREAL is said to be similar to Witches of East End in tone. We previously talked about it but it's clear now, Shiri really detest doing auditions. I feel for her. It's hard at her age and with baby in tow. In fact, any actresses over the age of 30 pretty much go through the same frustration and insecurity in the waiting room surrounded by youngsters.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

Wow, there are many interviews that I have to catch up.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 AM
New Fan

Has anybody else seen this yet?
- Yahoo Screen
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHazeL (View Post)
- Yahoo Screen
Welcome to the boards.

That was already posted but thanks anyway. I saw it and it was great.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHazeL (View Post)
- Yahoo Screen
Yep, we had it floating around here a while back. It was a good watch. Funny And welcome to the boards!
| Icon by MyLastDayWithoutYou |
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

I just found the following info and figured I would share it. Like ways it was a good read. I hope it was not posted if it was I apologize.

Actresses Perspectives on the Development of an LGBTQ Character

A character's sexual development has become more and more complicated over the years. Back in the day it was easy to define a character's sexuality as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered or straight. In today's world, there are multiple levels of the spectrum.

We talked to five actresses who have same-sex scenes – whether emotional and/or physical – to see how they understood and developed their characters.

Charlotte Sullivan of ABC's “Rookie Blue”, Jes Macallan of ABC's “Mistresses”, Ali Liebert of Showcase's and SyFy's “Lost Girl”, Lauren Collins of Nick's “Degrassi”, Shiri Appleby of NBC's “Chicago Fire” and Elizabeth McLaughlin of ABC's “Betrayal” give us their perspectives on the development of their LGBTQ characters.

Shiri Appleby has a special gift when it comes to playing roles. She's able to tap into human conditions which makes her characters multi-dimensional on all levels. Shiri played Clarice on NBC's “Chicago Fire” in which she was in love with female EMT Leslie Shay but married to a man. Twitter: @ShiriAppleby

You began your acting career at the age of four. What were the circumstances that you started at this age? What is your earliest childhood memory of doing a job?

My parents started me in the business as a tool to pull me out of my shell. I was a quiet kid and they felt like acting would be a great exercise to help me learn how to express myself and they were right.
My first memory of being on set was sitting at the head of a big table while shooting a commercial. I remember feeling like I was surrounded by magic when I looked up and saw two huge lights blaring down on me. I have been fascinated ever since.

What's the difference between being a guest star, such as on "SVU" and "Chicago Fire", vs. being a series regular such as your breakout role on "Roswell?"

The difference between guesting on a show and being a regular member of an ensemble cast is the same difference as running a sprint and pacing a marathon. There is pressure attached to both experiences. When you are coming on to guest all eyes are on you to match the level of performance already established. When you're carrying a show, not only are you focused with acting but with publicity, politics and pacing yourself for a five-nine month run. It's a very demanding job for many intimate months, which is why the reward is so great.

In "Chicago Fire" you play Clarice, the on-again / off-again girlfriend of female firefighter Leslie Shay. What happened at your audition? (Who contacted you about the role -- your agent? What exactly were you told prior to your audition? Wait -- DID you audition or was the role just given to you? When did you find out that Clarice was going to be romantically involved with a woman?)

I am good friends with Derek Haas [writer/producer] and he emailed me about the role which he described as Lauren German's ex-girlfriend who is now pregnant with her husband's baby. I was shooting “Girls” at the time so I put myself on tape with their casting director in LA and was lucky enough to get cast.

What were your immediate thoughts the very first time you had a scene with actress Lauren German who plays Shay?

Lauren and I were in the same sorority in college and have been friends for years. I never did a table read since I live in LA and they shoot in Chicago.

How have you seen yourself grow as an actor since age four to now in your 30's? Have you changed your acting methods? Do you get into character like an hour before filming or you just walk right on set and bam, you're in character?

One of the things I like best about being an actor is that the job and my technique are constantly changing. The more I get to know myself, the more I can understand the human condition and that can all translate into the job. How I prepare or do the work on set depends on the job and the scene. For very emotional scenes I tend not to hold onto the emotion as I have easy access to it and don't want to burn it out. I always take into consideration how the other actor I'm working with works best and give them the respect and space for their process since we are in it together.

Why do you think you end up with really emotional roles?

I think you end up with the roles that are meant for you. I have a strong ability to access emotions and it doesn't come from a personal place that I'm abusing so I actually enjoy the roles even though they can be draining.

What's your perception of your “Chicago Fire” character's sexuality? She truly seemed to be in love with Shay, yet she married a man.

My perception of Clarice is that she loves people regardless of their gender. I agree that she genuinely was in love with Shay, possibly even more than her husband.

What type of discussions did you have with the production team about your character?

There really wasn't much discussion about sexuality. We did discuss Clarice and Shay's backstory and how they were together for three years and were planning on starting a family together and then Clarice backed out at the last minute. Why Clarice left was never set in stone as it may have been for plenty of reasons – fear of not being able to have a child possibly as one of them.

Congratulations on your baby girl, Natalie, who was born March 23, 2013. You recently went back to work with a job on "Law and Order SVU" – what's the difference with work now that you have a child?

The greatest thing about working now that I have a family of my own is that work truly is work. I'm not looking for my job to fulfill any part of me other than being able to perform and contribute to my family. My goal is to do the best job I possibly can in the quickest way possible.

Anything else you'd like to say?

I think that doing any kind of love scene regardless of who you're playing it with can be very revealing so you want to make sure you are 100% comfortable. If you're not, you and the work will suffer.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Sorry about that. My Internet was acting up and I made a double post.

Last edited by EARLBNY; 12-02-2013 at 08:53 PM
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Shiri Appleby

I had not read that before, great read, by the way. Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Master Fan

Anytime. It was new to me as well.

OMG Shiri just won an award for her role on Girls. Unfortunately it's not an Oscar or an Emmy. It's not even a prestigious award or one she would want to brag about. None the less its still an award. So without future ado drum roll please Shiri Appleby was on Mr. Skins best of list of the top nude scenes of the year. She came in at #10. I know it does not mean much but at least someone other then us is talking notice even if its only about her racy sex scene.

Last edited by EARLBNY; 12-03-2013 at 08:10 PM
Old 12-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Master Fan

Nice read! Thanks for the info.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread