Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2021, 06:57 PM
Moderator Support Team

3x03 Episode Discussion: "The Testimony of the Executed Man" {10/22/21}

3x03 - "The Testimony of the Executed Man"
Episode Discussion

On the trail of the Frozen Hearts Killer, Nancy (Kennedy McMann) and her friends follow a surprising lead
from a podcaster at an annual convention for amateur sleuths –
where they also find themselves unraveling ghostly clues about a homicide from the 1950s.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:00 PM
Moderator Support Team

Hopefully, this episode is loads better than last week's and restores my faith in the show...or at least doesn't make me want to gag/miss large chunks of the episode and ruin the plot for me.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:10 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for setting this up!
gold-steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:18 PM
Moderator Support Team

I wanted to do it last night, but I got really tired and ran out of time.

Really need a great episode to scrub that last one from my mind.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:35 PM
Elite Fan

Old 10-20-2021, 07:59 PM
Moderator Support Team

Old 10-21-2021, 12:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

tftnt
Old 10-21-2021, 03:50 PM
Moderator Support Team

You're welcome!
Old 10-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

A wayyyyy better episode!

-So many great Ace and Nancy moments.
-I really liked the crime con and the story.
-Kind of surprised they caught the killer already but it looks like he's part of something bigger. So that'll be interesting to see.
-Bess's love interest has a name!
-Next episode looks like the dreamscape one? And also vaguely Nightmare on Elm Street inspired.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:12 PM
Moderator Support Team

A wayyyy better episode! I'm actually going to rewatch it soon.

- So many good Ace/Nancy moments. The lanyard scene?

- George's LOOK in the car! She knows something's going on??!?!

- Ace's insecurities about being left behind/forgotten leading him to taking the matches which leads to him solving a personal mystery at the end of the episode?

- Nancy/Ace being the final shot of the episode!

- Learning about Ace's grandparents!

- WINTER OF GEORGE!

- Bess/Addy! Baddy? Addess? They really went from zero to 60 very quickly though. I feel like they could have benefited from a few more episodes?

- Fan's fans?! Loving the meta!

-Also, Ace being possessed by "Joe"? COME ON NOW.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Ace being posessed by "Joe" lol now we know he is joe hardy. Whether he is Joe Hardy Sr or Jr remains to be seen. I'm still going with Joseph Francis Hardy.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:50 AM
Moderator Support Team

I feel like that was a direct hit by the writers. I mean Joseph is also a very biblical name too. It’s from the Old Testament. Plus, we know nothing about Thom’s family. Only Rebecca’s. It feels like a very obvious omission.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
I feel like that was a direct hit by the writers. I mean Joseph is also a very biblical name too. It’s from the Old Testament. Plus, we know nothing about Thom’s family. Only Rebecca’s. It feels like a very obvious omission.
Very obvious. But that whole episode left me verklempt. I mean the story of Joe and his lover. All the great NA stuff, George fan the hero and her plucky sidekick Nancy. Bess getting a legitimate love interest for now.

If this couple sticks that means the show is really winning on the diversity points.

NG=nonwhite interracial pairing
BA=Interracial Lesbian couple
NA=Inter-cultural couple
Old 10-23-2021, 05:58 PM
Moderator Support Team

I still have to finish my initial rewatch. I had started but then I got tired and had to go to bed. I'll probably just start over again.

I noticed that the writers were playing nice this episode, but I think Jesse Stern (who wrote the episode) is a big Nace fan anyway and he was probably the one running the twitter account last night. I don't follow them, but I happened to see it in passing.

Quote:
RE: Joe/The Grandma's story- I've seen people speculate that this whole storyline was foreshadowing for Nancy/Ace's storyline and that they think Ace might die sacrificing himself for Nancy? I guess they could "play" with death since it's a supernatural show, but that's not what I took away from it at all?! I thought it was more of a life lesson for Nancy/Ace...that THEY will eventually GET IT RIGHT and will learn how none of that other stuff matters as long as you have that person's love in your life. That nothing else matters but each other. They're WILLING to sacrifice themselves though...because LOVE IS SACRIFICE (but there are even multiple meanings of that word...not just forever death). Nancy did EXACTLY the same thing to protect Ace in 2x12 that Joe did to protect his love (especially in light of the social climate in 1950). And Ace is JUST starting to get a grasp on his feelings. He's definitely dealing with some angst. He's also been even quieter this season and way more reflective.

[Also, apparently the writers said that Grandma was originally supposed to be dead too...but they changed it...I'm assuming for more of an emotional impact. She was SO sweet! ]

Besides, since if anything happens between them at all this season...it won't be until the season finale IMHO because they have to deal with the Bobbsey stuff first, he has to actually voice and accept his feelings for Nancy and temporarily (hopefully!) lose her to Park ( ) before they can even be on the same page for anything ELSE to happen. And since there's only 10 episodes left...even THAT seems like ALOT to happen. Not to mention, we haven't even seen Ace figure out his calling yet. Also, he doesn't even officially have his name yet? I MEAN?? There's so much left to scratch the surface with Ace BEYOND the Nace ship.

If they were going to permanently kill him off...they would have had Ace/Amanda break up off-screen and put them together fairly quickly. What would be the point of doing that to the BIGGEST draw of the show? Practically EVERYONE is waiting for something to happen between them. Why would they want to knowingly sabotage the show like that when they MAYBE have 2 seasons left? It would FUNDAMENTALLY change the show DRAMATICALLY and all this build up would be for nothing?! Also, Nancy losing Ace would devastate her BEYOND belief. I just don't see it. They're moving way too slowly with them...and I never really took them for a tragic ship. I always took them as each other's endgame and forever partner.

If anyone is going to be presumed dead this season, it'll be Nancy IMHO. Not Ace. This would allow Ace to become a fully actualized Hardy Boy...so I could see something like that happening.

Also, Ace has almost died a few times already?! And you already have George on death's door? Maybe it's someone else's turn?

Plus, if for some strange reason AS wanted to leave the show...they could just have Ace go into Witness Protection with Grant? That way he could always come back?
Old 10-23-2021, 06:26 PM
Elite Fan

That's an interesting theory! But yeah I don't think they're going to kill Ace off. I don't think they'd kill any of the main cast off and I don't think it's a tragic ship. More of a "rocky road to get there but all totally worth it"

Quote:
I thought it was more of a life lesson for Nancy/Ace...that THEY will eventually GET IT RIGHT and will learn how none of that other stuff matters as long as you have that person's love in your life. That nothing else matters but each other. They're WILLING to sacrifice themselves though...because LOVE IS SACRIFICE (but there are even multiple meanings of that word...not just forever death).
This is kind of what I took from it too. They might have to make some other kind of sacrifice for each other (maybe like giving up some opportunity somewhere else to stay in Horseshoe Bay together)

There's tons of other ways they could write Ace out if they wanted to or if Alex wanted to leave.
Reply   Post New Thread