Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Extreme Fan

^^ Cool I was gonna ask you about that but now I don't have too.

I'm out of conversation again and you know what happens then. it's Decisions time my favorite episode.

Decisions

Quote:
Dawson: Joey! God! I've been looking all over for you. Look, there's nothing going on between Jen and me. What you saw today was completely innocent.

Joey: Look, you don't have to explain to me Dawson.

Dawson: Yes I do.

Joey: Why? Why do you feel the need to explain? We're just friends. That's all.

Dawson: Joey, c'mon you know that's not true.

Joey: So what are we Dawson? You know, I am so tired of the way we relate to one another. We spend all of our time analyzing our sad little adolescent lives.

Dawson: I know we know too many big words. But it's a good thing to analyze.

Joey: But it doesn't get us anywhere. It doesn't move us forward. We're in the same place we were 3 months ago. It's time to grow up Dawson.

Dawson: I know, Joey. We can. We are growing up.

Joey: No we're not. Everyday is the same. We watch a movie, preferably a Spielberg film, find the appropriate life correlation and then we pat ourselves on the back for being so clever. You know, as much as our perception is right on, our honesty is severely lacking Dawson.

Dawson: There is something lacking.

Joey: And the reason I came here tonight is because... we need to move on. Look, we're not kids anymore. And I'm not going to do this anymore and I thought you should know.

Dawson: So are you going to France?

Joey: Ah, the inevitable cliffhanger. Am I going to France?

Dawson: Are you?

Joey: Look, I am tired of all the drama in my life right now Dawson. And leaving town just makes the most sense to me so

Dawson: No, it doesn't.

Joey: Why should I stay? Is there some new release at the video store I don't know about? It's time to grow up Dawson.

Dawson: Well then we'll do it together. Joey, I could grow up give me a chance. Even Spielberg outgrew his Peter Pan syndrome.

Joey: I could have told you that months ago, Dawson.

Dawson: You did.

Joey: Yeah. Dawson, I'm so tired of dancing around these big words. I just want to be honest with you.

Dawson: Me too. Jo, more than anything, I just want to be honest.

Joey: Do you think we're ready for that honesty?

Dawson: Yeah I do.

Joey: Are you sure? Because honesty is a big word and it changes things and it complicates things. Are you sure you're ready for all the things that comes along with telling the truth?

*Dawson's smile fades.*

*Joey sees and is about to cry.*

Joey: I'll see ya Dawson.

Dawson: Joey! Joey!

*He kisses her. They pull away. Joey smiles and they kiss some more.*
I don't know about everyone else but I never get sick of this scene and just looking at it with the way they look It almost feels like a completely different show.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Master Fan

I never get sick of it either. Such an iconic moment in television history
Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

Luke, since you havent posted anything on here in a while, I guess it's my turn to finally post that scene that I wanted to post!

Quote:
Wilder: So, I take it you've been finding our little Rose Lazare project somewhat snooze-inducing.

Joey: Well, I wouldn't go that far.

Wilder: But you have implied that most of Rose's letters were uninteresting.

Joey: Well, it's just that, you know, up until this point they've all been so stiff and formal, as if she's writing to someone who's grading her or something.

Wilder: People can't be at ease with other people who are giving them grades?

Joey: No. Or at least they shouldn't be.

Wilder: Good point. So, you don't think she could have written them to a teacher, say, or a mentor. Keep in mind that she was quite young when she wrote these. Around 18 or 19, I think.

Joey: I don't know. I think they were written to a friend.

Wilder: Interesting. So you're not buying Cassandra's torrid lesbian love affair theory?

Joey: Oh, I don't know. It's just that if they were love letters, wouldn't she be...

Wilder: what, be more obvious about it? Not if she was writing to another woman back in the twenties.

Joey: No, that's not what I meant. I mean, if they were love letters, wouldn't she be less honest?

Wilder: There's a paradox in there somewhere.

Joey: I read all of them last night, and Rose totally pours her heart out into these letters. And who is that honest with someone they're sexually attracted to? People can be friends, right, best friends, but the second sexual attraction comes into it, it's like all bets are off as far as honesty is concerned.

Wilder: So, you don't think people can be both friends and lovers?

Joey: I do. I hope I do, but... not at 18.

Wilder: Well, then I think you better concentrate on this friend angle.
So this scene holds subtext related to Dawson and Joey. The second sexual attraction comes into all bets are off as far as honesty is concerned? Thats funny because D/J's first kiss was based off of being honest with each other. "Who's honest with someone they're attracted to?" ...Well, Jo I think that's the key to making the relationship work, so maybe you should try that. Not everyone in relationships aren't honest. And she "hopes" people can be both friends and lovers? With that line it's like the writers are trying to tell us that she's almost forcing herself to love Dawson because she thinks people should be friends and lovers. If she didn't believe that then her and Dawson woulnd't work. So what's up with that? Crappy writing or some sort of enlightening subtext?

This is my 9000th post!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 AM
Extreme Fan

Congratulations on 9000 post's Kimberly

I don't know what to think about that D/Jo subtext in that scene I remember season 5 had a few weird moments like that where it seem like Joey was Questioning her and Dawson.

I don't know I guess if I had to say I would take this line

Quote:
Wilder: So, you don't think people can be both friends and lovers?

Joey: I do. I hope I do, but... not at 18
as meaning that D/Jo need to grow-up first before they could finally be together because in my opinion that's what the whole show was always implying that they would grow-up and finally be ready for an adult relationship and would find their way back to each other in the end cuz they are romantic soul-mates.

That scene dose really show how much the writers changed Joey after Kevin left tho cuz like you said Kevin's Joey Potter in season one wanted to be honest with Dawson and remember Dawson told Joey's dad in jail that "you can always get the truth from Joey even if the truth hurts."
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Elite Fan

Congrats on 9k posts, Kimberly!

Hm, strangely, I do see Joey's point, exactly as Luke pointed out the "not at 18" bit. Most people are not mature enough at that age to be able to balance attraction and friendship, it's one or the other. Attraction is about impressing someone, trying to be what they want you to be.
At the same time, this also touches on my annoyance with Joey throughout the show: in S1 and partly 2, she was the most mature of the whole friend circle, but as the seasons progressed, it was like she regressed

I'd love to think that Joey eventually grew up and figured out the balancing act between love & friendship & found her way to Dawson, post-Finale.

ღLeosღJeahღSterekღHobosღNewYorkersღPandasღSoulmatesღEverlarkღKlaineღ
Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 AM
Loyal Fan

so she's saying she doesn't trust the person she's attracted to that he will not hurt her ?
(because she loves him and that means being honest)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_William
...D/Jo need to grow-up first before they could finally be together because in my opinion that's what the whole show was always implying that they would grow-up and finally be ready for an adult relationship and would find their way back to each other in the end cuz they are romantic soul-mates
^^ that is what the show was supposed to be about! I know at least one writer/producer said that. It was all about their journey and what they do when they've found their soulmate at 15. Makes the series finale even more disappointing.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Loyal Fan

" even more disappointing"
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Master Fan

The "but not at 18" part was telling us that they're still too young at that point. It should also imply that in the future it will work out.....its just the "i hope i do" that makes that seem not so definitive for this episode's version of Joey.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Extreme Fan

Must be Time for me to lighten the mood

Just pretend this is 5 years after the finale and that it's New York not Boston.

Then imagine Joey runs Jumps on Dawson they look at each other for a moment he then carries her up the stairs to her apartment door carries her through the doorway through the living-room and into the bedroom and ............ you know rest.

Cuz like Always they found their way back to each other.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Master Fan

I like your story Luke. It's like a mini fanfic

Thanks for lightening the mood!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Elite Fan

I like your story too and that's how it plays out in my head when I think of anything post-finale. Because we know they'd find each other again at the end

ღLeosღJeahღSterekღHobosღNewYorkersღPandasღSoulmatesღEverlarkღKlaineღ
Old 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Master Fan

absolutely
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

6 days without any posts on this thread Thats not like us at all! I should make some D/Jo manips/arts when I have time....I'm in the mood for new ones. I used to make them all the time I feel like!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

djers