Old 02-02-2019, 01:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Roswell: New Mexico 1x01 "Pilot" Episode Discussion

1.01 Pilot

Directed: Julie Plec
Written by: Carina Adly Mackenzie
Original Air Date: January 15, 2019

Quote:
After losing her research grant, biomedical scientist Liz Ortecho returns to her hometown of Roswell to work in her family's diner. There, she reconnects with her high school crush, deputy sheriff Max Evans, her old friend Maria DeLuca, and her former boyfriend Kyle Valenti. When a gunman shoots and fatally wounds Liz, Max is forced to use his healing abilities to save her, leaving him weakened until his sister, Isobel, nurses him back to health. She and Max's younger brother, Michael, confront Max over the wisdom of using his abilities to save Liz's life. Max becomes overburdened by guilt and decides to tell Liz who he truly is, unaware that Liz has secretly taken a DNA sample from him and analyzed it. He takes her to the site of the "birth" of him and his siblings, and reveals that his powers also create a temporary psychic link between him and Liz, allowing her to view his memories. Kyle, having uncovered Liz's analysis, is taken to "Project Shepherd", a government initiative to track extraterrestrials. At their high school reunion, Isobel warns Max to break things off with Liz before she learns the truth behind her sister Rosa's death.

Me and my wild boy
-----and all of this wild joy
→ Jessica | creative dream

Last edited by meraki; 04-29-2019 at 09:12 AM
Old 02-02-2019, 01:34 AM
Master Fan

I have to say this pilot was a really solid one. When I first heard that Roswell was getting rebooted, I was like oh hell no. I wanted to hate it so much because why were they messing with Roswell you know?

But hella I fell for it so fast.

This is one of the best pilots ive seen in quite a long time. Possibly since the OG Roswell. Of course they had to play certain story beats like Liz getting shot and Max healing her. But it fastly becomes its own show.

Jeainne and Nathan bring their own special to Max and Liz, They play a more adult version who had to deal with the world around them that became so jaded and basically worn. They spent over a decade apart so to see two characters that I once known such a long time ago come together and at first it was surprise but then it came into that magical place that no matter which age they are, Its simply Max and Liz. Liz Ortecho is a lot more jade and hurt by her circumstances the Liz Parker. But she has that same essence. It was great to see her come home and Arturo as her dad? I already love that dynamic.

Nathan plays Max as we always known Max to be. That of one that wants to help people. But like Liz he is a lot more I wouldn't say jaded in his case, just a little more grey. But he does a fantastic job in exploring and showing his feelings for lIz. He is torn about what he wants and his duty to Isobel and Michael.

Lily is amazing as Isobel. The perfect Ice Queen who grew up to be even more cold then before. She loves her family with everything in her, which makes her fear even more real, so of course she would be super pissed about Max exposing them to Liz. It is so easy to just label her a bitch but she is so much more then that. And I am excited to see where she takes her.

Michael Trevino is a awesome Kyle. He is more grounded in who he is , and I think having Kyle as a doctor will be helpful once the truth gets exposed among the gang.

Heather Hemmens as Maria Deluca is a perfect fit. Her Maria grew up without having Liz her best friend for tens years, unlike Majandra's Maria where she and Shiri's Liz they were close and there was no awkwardness. Maria still has Liz's back even after making a crack to Liz that she should visit the other bar in town for visitors. No matter what happened, Maria will always have Liz's back.

Tyler Blackburn as Alex Manes. Like Jeaine, his character goes back to his Original Name from the book. As Alex Whitman was adorable and carefree, Tyler's Alex Manes is a harder shell. He went to war so that of course is to be expected, he's closed and almost cold.But when he connects with Michael Vlamis's Michael. Pure magic.

Michael Vlamis has done such a phenomenal job as Michael. His Michael course as the same aspects of Brendan's Michael. Just had another 10 years of heartbreak and not feeling like he belonged anywhere, and you get an even closed off Michael Guerin. Well at first at least. But when Michael and Alex talk at the reunion. it was like a firework going off. It was beautiful to watch and I cant wait for more.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

^Yes to all of this. I wasn't planning to watch it at first, but then I saw a gifset of Michael/Alex (trying to hold my hand private?) and I even got HBO Nordic where it is for me and watch the episode right away. And I was sold. There was few things that I wasn't sure of, like the hiding place of their birthplace. But other than that it was really good for a reboot and a Pilot episode.

Me and my wild boy

Last edited by meraki; 02-02-2019 at 01:55 AM
Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 AM
Master Fan

Exactly i do love that yes they played with the same beat of Liz getting shot, but they quickly made the show be its own. And in the end that will make the show last longer
Old 02-02-2019, 01:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

I really hope so. I need more seasons of this show already.

Me and my wild boy
Old 02-02-2019, 02:04 AM
Master Fan

Same here 3 episodes and i already want it around 10 years or longer lol
Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

This was a great pilot! I wasn't sure I was going to like the reboot but the pilot was amazing and I instantly fell in love
Old 02-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Master Fan

The pilot was amazing, a few weeks later and I still cant get over how damn good that pilot was.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

I thinking about watching this episode again tomorrow.

Me and my wild boy
Old 02-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Master Fan

Same 🤓
Old 02-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

The pliot was decent.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:31 AM
Master Fan

I am rewatching it now lol
Old 02-03-2019, 03:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

Going to rewatch it today!

Me and my wild boy
Old 02-03-2019, 03:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

it had been 2 days since i watched it so i watched it again when i got home from work haha
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Master Fan

lol