Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-15-2022, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Rant/Vent # 9: Now it's 2022 and it seems we never run out of things to rant about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
That Howell guy was in Kindred: The Embraced.

Do we need a title?

I remember that show. It aired in the early 90s on Fox, around the time The X-Files first came on. It was one of many failed shows that Fox Network tried to launch around that time that were supernatural/paranormal-themed shows that were trying to ride on the success of The X-Files: M.A.N.T.I.S., VR.5, Strange Luck, and my personal favorite, Space: Above and Beyond. Too bad it failed.

I got your title. Can you please close the old thread?

Previous Thread: Rant/Vent # 8: It's 2021 and there's still a lot to rant about.
Old 04-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Tyftnt
Old 04-16-2022, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Kindred didn't fail, it got cancelled because its star was killed in a motorcycle crash.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome, Rita.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that, sum1.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

He was a damn good actor too.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I only remember him from that show.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

At least you remember him.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

He made quite an impression.

I didn't like the wolf transformations, though. Made the vampires look too much like werewolves.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

He was brilliant. He was an English Jewish actor and he played the main role in a notable English Jewish film called Leon the Pig Farmer. Which showcased totally different acting from him.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I never heard of that film. But it was the 90s. I was paying more attention to The X-Files and Quentin Tarantino.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tarantino wasn't really great until this century -Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight (one of my favorite westerns ever and his best film), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. That stuff's way better than Pulp Fiction and the rather half-baked Reservoir Dogs.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, okay. I respectfully disagree there. I do love Tarantino's 21st century work, although I feel that Kill Bill and Death Proof are the weakest films of his 21st century work. Death Proof was boring, and should have been more of a combination of Duel and Mad Max if he wanted to get it right. Kill Bill was uneven and way too long. It was hit and miss for me. Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, and Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood were masterpieces, and The Hateful Eight was also pretty good as well. But those films are all very different from his early work. They all exist in an “alternate history" genre, so I can't really compare them to his work in the 1990s.

I still love what I call Tarantino's “L.A. Trilogy" from the 1990s: Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, and Pulp Fiction. Even though he didn't actually direct True Romance, I still think it's still one of his best scripts, and Tony Scott was very respectful to Tarantino's story. I think Scott's decision to not kill off Clarence at the end actually improved the movie.

In my opinion, Tarantino's only misstep in the 1990s was Jackie Brown, his only attempt to adapt someone else's material. I appreciate the homage to the blacksploitation movies of the 1970s and casting Pam Grier at a time when her career seemed to be over, but I've never been a fan of Elmore Leonard's work. I've seen other films based on his books, like Stick(Burt Reynolds), Get Shorty(John Travolta), and Out of Sight(George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez). It's mostly niche stuff. He lacks the broader appeal of a James Ellroy.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 04-21-2022 at 12:34 PM
Old 04-22-2022, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
They all exist in an “alternate history" genre, so I can't really compare them to his work in the 1990s.
That's a nonsensical statement. Of course you can compare them. You can compare The Fugitive and Spartacus (The Fugitive is a lot better). You can compare Star Wars and The Godfather (Star Wars was better).

True Romance was a pretty good film, but it doesn't get me enthusiastic like Tarantino's more recent films do. And like you said, Tarantino didn't direct it.

As for Death Proof and Kill Bill, I haven't seen those two. Death Proof put me off and Kill Bill revolves around Uma Thurman, who I intensely dislike.

Jackie Brown is probably Tarantino's best '90s film, with the most substance and the most relatable central character. Pulp Fiction is pretty good, but not up to the same standard, and Reservoir Dogs just doesn't live up to the hype.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
That's a nonsensical statement.

No, tell me how you really feel, sum1.

Tarantino didn't direct True Romance, but it's his story and Tony Scott pretty much did it beat for beat, he just made it in chronological order.

You should check out Death Proof and Kill Bill just to see for yourself.

Well, Jackie Brown was something of a letdown for me. The only performances I liked were Pam Grier and Robert Forrester, who got a much deserved Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

His name is Robert Forster, not Robert Forrester.

Sam Jackson was great in Jackie Brown too. And DeNiro was bearable. Which he often isn't.