Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 2x06 "Vergangenheit" Episode Discussion

Vergangenheit

A secret World War II document opens Elizabeth's eyes to grim realities about a family member. The Duke of Windsor campaigns to re-enter public life.

Last edited by JoJoF92; 12-28-2017 at 11:21 AM
Old 12-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

I had a lot of fun during Uncle David's scenes first, the birthday party for one of their dogs. what an eventful life then the costumes he had to try on those were fun. although his wife isn't so happy with him anymore

I really liked how interested Elizabeth was in religion still. she takes her job very seriously and it really is a mistake when someone is the monarch and the head of church but doesn't know what Christianity means very well, nor lives by those principles. she's very big on all these things, she wants to educate herself and become better to be able to serve her country best.

it was funny how the Queen Mother was against the preacher cause he seemed to passionate about what he was saying and he talked too loud I agree it can be an unsympathetic feature of some people of faith but when they're actually speaking the truth, it's not a bad thing.

it was a very interesting episode because forgiveness is a topic I think all of us have to struggle a lot. even so in religious communities. to forgive is to forget as well, and now that can be very difficult. but the Word says that it's what we have to do to be forgiven ourselves. still it's a hard thing to do in some cases, and we can't always make the right decision either.

David wasn't always honest with the Queen and he still despised the whole family, didn't respect Elizabeth, kept calling her "Shirley Temple", so he couldn't possibly think that she'd just look over everything like a fool. if he really haf changed his ways, he would've tried hard and actually start respecting her but that wasn't the case. who can say whether she was right not to forgive him, but she couldn't just turn a blind eye when they were clearly betrayed by him.
first, it really has to be David who must face what he'd done and change his ways, face the mistakes he'd made and then there can be talk about forgiveness.
sadly, it might spark even more spite in him rather than inspire to change

Old 12-10-2017, 12:59 AM
Moderator Manager

I thought this ep was okay. Not my favorite though.

OMG yes, I kind of love them for doing a birthday party for the dogs. But he did a HORRIBLE thing and I don't like him anymore. Actually, I don't particularly like the Duke of Windsor. I know he abdicated for love but it's his duty & birth right to be King but a part of me think he didn't want that huge responsibility fall on him. That's probably why their mother blamed him for the King's death.

Their religion is Christian right? I think in a way, Queen Elizabeth was also very interested in what that American evangelist had to stay. The Queen Mother was just being polite. Obviously, Philip didn't care.

It was great to see a cameo of Jared Harris & John Lithgow! But wow, the fact that they hid this document means that it is big and I was so surprised at what the Duke of Windsor did with the Nazis. At the end of the ep, they even showed us pictures of his trip to Germany and with Hitler. The fact that he made it look like it was an "official business trip" was really sneaky of him. Why would he do this to his own family, let alone the monarchy? Didn't he know that this is all going to bite him in the end?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

these political things are way too much above my knowledge and understanding I know it's easy for us to look back and see Hitler and the nazis for exactly what they were, but maybe at the very beginning they didn't look as violent David might've meant well at the start but it definitely turned out pretty soon that they were the epitome of evil and it was a horrible thing he'd made..

I never blamed him for turning down the throne for his love. it sounds like something I'd do I'd also make a terrible monarch so it was probably better for the country too, even if Albert wasn't cut out for the role either and wanted a normal life instead, his daughter has definitely been a wonderful sovereign. so in that way the country and the world can owe that to David.

those pictures in the end were really disturbing I don't know how people were able to live with the fact that they actually thought Hitler wasn't the worst thing the world has seen..

Old 12-11-2017, 01:29 AM
Moderator Manager

I'd probably accept it but I'd be a terrible ruler. And I can't fathom marrying into a royal family (at least not directly in line to the throne). I love my freedom too much.

That's true. If the Duke of Windsor didn't abdicate, Elizabeth wouldn't be queen. Which really turned out to be great.

After seeing this ep, I'm glad we didn't have to live through those horrible times when Hitler was still alive. We don't want WW III to happen anymore.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
After seeing this ep, I'm glad we didn't have to live through those horrible times when Hitler was still alive. We don't want WW III to happen anymore.
oh totally. although we have leaders who terrifyingly remind us of him today

Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

i actually loved this episode, I have a thing for WW2 things, they are truly interesting but I was shocked by the story behind her uncle and the nazi's
I had no clue they were that connected..

I must say Elizabeth handled it really well.. I love this line!

It was also interesting to know that David is not happy with his life, it gave him joy for some time but now it has become boring and he wants to do something for his country again and at the same time they find the documents again!

Quote:
first, the birthday party for one of their dogs. what an eventful life
haha too cute!

Quote:
it was a very interesting episode because forgiveness is a topic I think all of us have to struggle a lot. even so in religious communities. to forgive is to forget as well, and now that can be very difficult. but the Word says that it's what we have to do to be forgiven ourselves. still it's a hard thing to do in some cases, and we can't always make the right decision either.
It is difficult yes!

Quote:
Their religion is Christian right? I think in a way, Queen Elizabeth was also very interested in what that American evangelist had to stay. The Queen Mother was just being polite. Obviously, Philip didn't care.
he really didn't, he was bored!

Quote:
It was great to see a cameo of Jared Harris & John Lithgow!
it! I wanted more!

Quote:
I never blamed him for turning down the throne for his love. it sounds like something I'd do I'd also make a terrible monarch so it was probably better for the country too, even if Albert wasn't cut out for the role either and wanted a normal life instead, his daughter has definitely been a wonderful sovereign. so in that way the country and the world can owe that to David.
That's true but Albert and Elizabeth are just doing what they have to do. I think they blame David because he didn't own up to his duty

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 12-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartღaflutter (View Post)
i actually loved this episode, I have a thing for WW2 things, they are truly interesting but I was shocked by the story behind her uncle and the nazi's
I had no clue they were that connected..
that was really shocking these things always make me cringe..
Quote:
That's true but Albert and Elizabeth are just doing what they have to do. I think they blame David because he didn't own up to his duty
it's different from the nation's pov and theirs. I'm sure they'd wanted a peaceful life but knowing David, horrible things could've taken place during his reign

Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah they make me cringe too.. and it didn't make me like him better as a person and I can understand Elizabeth's speech so well.. That scene above is so powerful!

yeah I'm not sure if it would have been a fortunate reigning period for him.

x

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 12-19-2017 at 09:49 AM
Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I understand why he abdicated he was in love and I do enjoy the actors portrayal of him. His letters make me laugh even their mean, but I get why elizabeth couldn't forgive him and the Royal family

I think both Albert and elizabeth wanted a normal life. So I can understand why they are mad at him at least George. Elizabeth was more willing to give him chances until finding out about Nazis
Old 12-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

their feelings towards David are totally understandable

Old 12-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I also liked seeing Billy Graham I visited his liberary in Nc so I like seeing Lilibet charmed by him. I hope well see David again I do enjoy seeing and hearing his pov in spite of his terrible connections

Last edited by fox24; 12-20-2017 at 08:27 PM
Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

wow that's awesome you got to go there I just checked that he's close to a 100 now wow

I like David's character despite everything too. he can always bring something juicy to the show

Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

x

Old 12-26-2017, 04:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I understand why he abdicated he was in love and I do enjoy the actors portrayal of him. His letters make me laugh even their mean, but I get why elizabeth couldn't forgive him and the Royal family

I think both Albert and elizabeth wanted a normal life. So I can understand why they are mad at him at least George. Elizabeth was more willing to give him chances until finding out about Nazis
yeah the letters are a bit funny and the actor portraying him is wonderful!

Yeah Elizabeth seemed more forgiving (as well in S1) to give him a chance.. to advise her.

Loved that E/P scene! So adorable!