Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Addicted Fan

Trash Talking

Here's an article I read on ESPN on the subject:

Shut 'em up with shut-down lines

What are your thoughts on trash talking? Do you have any favourite moments? Do you have any favourite lines you like using?

I don't play much, but I tend to talk trash to the TV while I watch a game. I usually yell stuff like:

-*****in' ref!!!
-Man, that's one ugly sonuvabitch! (Shaq, Pudge, Cassel, etc.)
-Riiiiiickey! Riiiiickey! Riiiiickey! (for Rickey Henderson) or you could just replace it with Daaaaaaarryl for Darryl Strawberry.
-Lakers/Yankees suck! (repeated over and over)

[ 02-06-2004: Message edited Shaolin ]
Old 02-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Elite Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Great articke, Shaolin!

I yell stuff at the tv from time to time. I remember Kobe elbowing Mike Bibby on the face and breaking his nose on the Playoffs like 2 years ago...

And the ref turned his face and didn't stop for a foul.. Let me just say, my whole house was full of people yelling stuff my virgin ears had never heard before [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As far as trash talking with other people.. I like to keep it down and AFTER my team wins I get in full mode [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Elite Fan

I remember Chris Rock using the "but can ya kick MY ass" line in a stand up act. Talkin about how when people he knew came back from college going to the ghetto talking up their degrees

"So what you got a mastahs degree, so what you my mastah now? I can count two, bitch, 1, 2 4, 8, they all there, but lemme ask ya this, can ya kick my ass?"

heh something like that.

I'm the biggest trash talker around, I swear. We win? Best believe you gonna here about it. For a long time. We lose? Don't get used to it, it was probably your win of the year. Matter of fact, beating my team is probably going to be the highlight of your career.

"i membah back in 2002, we won the national champion by beating Miami,... I had 4 tackles and i got to hold the sears trophy for 1 minute and 6 seconds, boy them was th,... oh sorry, sorry, did you want paper or plastic?"
Old 02-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Here's a little something from one of the greatest trash talkers of all time, Muhammad Ali:

Quote:
-I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own.

-I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.

-I am the greatest. Not only do I knock em out, I pick the round!

-If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.

-It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am.

-It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

-My toughest fight was with my first wife.

-Joe Frazier is so ugly, he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wildlife.

-I injured a stone, murdered a brick, I'm so mean I make medicine sick. (my favorite one)

-There are two things that are hard to hit and see, that's a spooky ghost and Muhammad Ali.

-Now let me tell you how great I am; I'm gonna float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. George(Foreman) can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. He thinks he will but i know he won't. I AM THE GREATEST!!

-I'm so fast that last night I turned the light switch off in my bedroom and I was in bed before the room was dark.

-I'm the king of the world, I am the greatest, I’m Muhammed Ali, I shook up the world, I am the greatest, I'm king of the world, I'm pretty, I'm pretty, I'm a baaaad man, you heard me I'm a baaad man, Archie Moore fell in four, Liston wanted me more, so since he's so great, I'm a make him fall in eight, I'm a baaad man, I'm king of the world!!!!! I'm 22 years old and ain’t gotta mark on my face, I'm pretty, I easily survived six rounds with that ugly bear, cuz i am the greatest!
Does anyone even come close?
Old 02-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Elite Fan

There is no one best. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Jordan sure had his share of trash talking but Ali is too much [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Oh and was it Pippen who told Malone that "mail doesn't deliver Sunday"
Old 02-07-2004, 11:20 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR:
<STRONG>Oh and was it Pippen who told Malone that "mail doesn't deliver Sunday"</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Yup, it was, and then Malone choked on those two foul shots. Bwah! Perfect.

Jordan was a great trash talker, he always wanted to get in your head. But, yeah, nobody compares to Ali. Thanks for posting that list, Shaolin.

I usually am cursing at the TV while watching games, and I like to trash talk, too. I'm not an expert, but I can hold my own.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Elite Fan

I remember sopme audio years back, Robert Pack was talkin to some guard, i forget who and he was like "you want bust my ass? Huh? Do ya? I dare you to go by me" and the other guy was like "all night and day my brotha" "go ahead, i'll pave the way" and the guy went by Pack and as soon as he past, Mutombo stepped in and he backed off and Pack was smiling and said somethign like "You can't shoot, and apparently you can't climb, you shoulda stayed in school" then the shot clock went off. I was like, damn. I heard some nice Payton vs Marbury when Stephon was with the Wolves.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Master Fan

Trash talking? Pffft! Why, I’d never endorse such an egotistical spectacle. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Nah! I’m ALL about taking the trash out. Just as long as you actually have something to talk about. If you or your team sucks, then you better keep that pie hole shut. There’s nothing worse than an amateur talking the talk but not being able to walk the walk. You have to win to be taken seriously when it comes to the art of trash talking. The cockniess necessary to be an expert at smack talk comes from success. That's why MJ and Ali were so good at it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaolin:
<STRONG>Here's a little something from one of the greatest trash talkers of all time, Muhammad Ali:

Does anyone even come close?</STRONG>
Nope. He was *the* best. Comical, entertaining, and witty. Best of all, he was a winner. No one has come close to matching his mastery of talking trash.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaolin:
<STRONG>
-Lakers/Yankees suck! (repeated over and over)

</STRONG>
Throw in the Cowboys, and I'm right there with ya.

--Mark Twain
Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

Trash talking is what makes sports so fun. Especially with basketball because you can get inside the player's heads. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Join the John Mayer campaign!
**SuperGirl** is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread