Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Total Fan

Steroids in Sport: Usage, Testing and Ramifications

Steroids in sport, namely baseball, has been raging in the last few months as a hot topic of discussion. As usage becomes more rampant and blatant without adequate testing, all levels of sport and even the United States federal government and Olympic committee have voiced their collective opinions.

Should usage be permitted as a "medical advance", or prohibited as an unnatural and unfair advantage? Should testing be more stringent? Should steroids be declared as a greater health risk, on par with other drugs, than they currently are?

What do you think?

I'll start it off with an interesting ESPN article penned by an anonymous veteran MLB player who is sick and tired of steroids in baseball.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Master Fan

Great article! After reading it, I’m very curious as to its author. A lot of interesting details were dropped that could help pinpoint who it might be. I’m guessing maybe Frank Thomas.

In my opinion, steroids, and any precursor for that matter, should be prohibited from ALL sports. Usage provides an athlete with an unfair advantage over other players, not to mention it completely taints the sport. MLB needs to get with the times and stop giving baseball players every reason to take steroids (ridiculous testing policies, light penalties, mega-dollar contracts, and great exposure). Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening anytime soon. For all of Bud Selig’s bravado, I’m sure he would prefer to keep this issue under wraps since offensive production is a fan attraction, and he knows full well that much of the late-90’s homerun burst was a result of guys using the juice. The HR is what draws a lot of people into the game. That’s no secret. Therefore, it was no surprise when guys would show up to spring training the following year having added 30 lbs. of “muscle.” Yeah, right! I’m sure that was natural.

As for other sports, I apply the same line of thinking. The use of steroids creates an unfair competitive advantage and lack of a level playing field. It’s a form of cheating. Testing needs to become more stringent, with penalties being a lot more severe. IMO, an athlete found guilty of using steroids should be banned from their sport for a year. If they are a second-time offender, for life. Rules need to be established that will make players think twice, especially in regards to the serious health risks using steroids poses. I think that would send a serious message.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:24 AM
Total Fan

Too tired to give a proper reply right now, so I'll leave you with this to hold you over. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Commish to Invoke 'Best Interests' Clause

ESPN.com news services

Will commissioner Bud Selig stiff-arm baseball's collective bargaining agreement in order to implement a more aggressive testing plan for performance-enhancing drugs?

An industry source told the Houston Chronicle that Selig is contemplating such a move. Unless significant progress is made in negotiations between the owners and the MLB Players Association, Selig may act within the next 10 days, the source said

To do so, the paper reports, Selig would use his far-reaching "best interests of the game" clause in an attempt to bypass the collective bargaining process and establish a testing plan similar to the one used in the minor leagues. That plan, the paper notes, would include a zero-tolerance policy in which one positive test will result in an immediate suspension of approximately two weeks. Additional positive tests would result in longer suspensions.

Selig would not discuss the Chronicle's report, but a source told the newspaper that the commissioner is "adamant about doing something."

"It's a health issue," the source told the newspaper. "Our doctors have shown us that steroid use is linked to heart disease, sexual dysfunction and other problems. Players are going to start dying if we don't do something."

Several veteran players, including Braves reliever John Smoltz and Rangers starter Kenny Rogers, recently have criticized what is thought by drug experts to be a weak testing policy. Hall of Famer and Yankees senior advisor Reggie Jackson and former Mets manager Bobby Valentine also have been outspoken on the issue.

But a union source told the Chronicle that the players "want to give the current program time to work."

The union says they have advised players about the dangers of steroids but will not agree to more testing. They believe further testing would violate the privacy of players.

Asked about their view of the possibility of Selig instituting a tougher testing program, union officials declined comment to the Chronicle.

But one official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told the Chronicle that Selig could not change a policy that was agreed to in the collective bargaining agreement of 2002.

"We didn't have any testing before last season," the official said. "We agreed to a testing plan. We haven't even given it a chance to work."

But Selig has had a team of attorneys investigating his chance of beating the grievance union leaders likely would file to prevent implementation of a new program.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chi159:
<STRONG>
In my opinion, steroids, and any precursor for that matter, should be prohibited from ALL sports.</STRONG>
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Total Fan

My guess was going to be Curt Schilling, even before he decried baseball as being untrustworthy. Before anyone says I'm a bandwagon jumper, I point to Schilling's nature of being outspoken, most recently (before this) against the Questec system.

All steroids and precursors should indeed be banned from all levels of baseball. At this point, I'd argue that the taint of steroids is so prohibitive that the excitement of having more home runs has been overshadowed.

I would prefer a 3-strike system (yes, cue the laughter); 1st = 1 month suspension, 2nd = 1 year, 3rd = life, with chance for re-instatement after 5 years based on volunteer anti-drug awareness program participation.