Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Awww that pic
Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Master Fan

I know!

The tournament directer for Roger's Cup just confirmed that Roger will indeed be playing in the event.

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA

Last edited by BrokenButterfly; 08-07-2009 at 05:45 AM
Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
MST Manager

Aww, twin girls! That was definitely a well-kept secret! How precious! Congrats to him and Mirka.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:28 AM
Master Fan

He's definitely in Montreal now

And the draw

And happy birthday to Roger as well!

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Great pics
Old 08-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

LOVE those pics. Its awesome we'll see him in action soon.

Seeing Roger with his babies just melts my heart. Mirka looks great too.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
No baby blues as sport becomes family affair for Federer

MONTREAL (AFP) - Roger Federer's flawless tennis will be a family affair from Monday's start of the ATP Montreal Masters straight through to the US Open and beyond, the new father of twins said Sunday.

"It has been great so far," Federer said as he prepares for his second-round start after a bye at the first major tuneup for the US Open, which starts August 31.

"We are very happy and proud being parents of two such beautiful little girls right now," Federer said, speaking for wife Mirka and his two twins - Charlene Riva and Myla Rose - born July 23 in Zurich.

"They're so sweet and cute right now, I'm enjoying every moment."

Federer and family flew privately across the Atlantic on Friday, with the world number one squeezing in an evening training session that drew applause from spectators waiting around the grounds to get a look at their idol.

"Mirka is a great great mom and I'm happy they could join us on this trip," said Federer.

"We'll be five weeks in North America and I'm sure we will have a good time."

The Swiss superstar said the five weeks he took off after winning a sixth Wimbledon title, waiting for the birth and then resuming his "normal" life were well worth it.

But he admitted he now needs the thrill of competition.

"I'm happy to be back on Tour and I'm happy Mirka was willing to join the long trip," Federer said.

"Mirka was completely cool about coming over here. We did checks to make sure that the babies were going to be fine with the trip and so was Mirka.

"I don't need nine or 10 hours of sleep per night like I used to earlier in my career," said the Swiss, who turned 28 on Saturday. "I can take six or seven hours and you can nap also.

"I feel ready to go, fresh and in the mood to travel again. That's an important part. I don't mind the travelling. If you dislike that part it all becomes so much harder.

"I don't have the problem and I love the game as much as anyone out there."

The 15-time Grand Slam champion is eager to see how it all pans out.

"I'm excited to see how I'm going to handle the new family situation," he said. "Going forward to the Open will be an exciting stretch for us."
And a video interview here..
TennisTV.com | TOURNAMENTS | Tournament Listings | MONTREAL | Montreal Interviews | Federer's Summer of Success

And for Djoke / Federer fans..

I f'love the teal/white/black jacket of Roger. I know I say everytime I love his jacket..but teal is one of my favourite colors. I want that jacket now

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Happy Belated to him
Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Master Fan

Roger won yesterday!

It was a tight match. It was nice at the end..Roger truly is a great guy He congratulated Fred at the net and went quietly over to his chair.. no excessive celebrations, no going back on the court..... he let Niemeyer have his moment with his home crowd in what is probably his last Rogers Masters.

Quote:
August 11, 2009

Roger Federer

MONTREAL, QUEBEC

R. FEDERER/F. Niemeyer
7-6, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How did you feel out there, first match back since Wimbledon?
ROGER FEDERER: I felt good, you know. It's always nice to be back on the match courts, you know, after spending so much time on the practice courts.
I was happy with my performance today. It was a tough match, because Fred was serving really well and made it hard to get any kind of rhythm because I was serving well myself.
It was a good first match, and I'm pleased I'm through.

Q. Can you take us through the process of deciding to play here rather than waiting for an extra week to come back?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, it was -- it all depended on Mirka, if she wanted to make the trip or not, and obviously if the babies were going to be ready to do it or not. It really all depended on that.
That's why I kind of mentioned it to her like one week before the event starts here, and I went from day to day, and at the end we said, all right, I think everything looks all right. And like this, we going to be anyway then together for a long time in North America. That's what she wanted. That's what I wanted. That's why we decided to do it that way.

Q. This was probably the last match for Frederic in Montreal. Tell us about your relationship, what you think about him as a player and a person?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, we know each other since I guess 11 years, because we played each other in, I think it was in '97 or '98 in the Swiss Satellite in front of -- you know, like I said on court like in front of two people, and other guys were playing next to us. The atmosphere was rather cold because it was a Winter Satellite in Switzerland and there was a ton of snow outside.
Next thing you know, 11 years later we're playing in front of a packed house here in Montreal. It's a long time coming for both of us. A lot has happened since, but we kind of always, when we saw each other on tour, we always tried to maybe hit together or at least have a chat together.
I always had a lot of news also from the Swiss players of how he was doing, and he's a very nice man. Of course, it's always sad when you leave the game, but he seems at peace with himself by doing this big step. I can only wish him the best.

Q. Obviously after a few weeks off there is some rust you have to shake off. How much of what you did out there tonight was rust and how much of it, if any, was adjusting to your new routine, your new lifestyle? Was there any part of that into it? Did you have to make some adjustments, some changes?ROGER FEDERER: Well, in the beginning after, let's say, five, six weeks of not having played a match, because you play practice matches but that's not the same, you're just a little bit slow sometimes, your reaction on the return.
Maybe your shoulder is a little bit slower as well, you know, after having only played practice matches.
But, you know, today all in all, I thought it was okay. I wish I could have gotten more balls back on the return, but then that is again due to him serving well and mixing it up well.
But, you know, once there is not much rhythm from the baseline, it's always kind of difficult, and then it comes down to a couple of points here and there and that's how this match was being played, as well, today.

Q. Off the court there was no change to your routine or anything? Life goes on as normal?
ROGER FEDERER: No, because, I mean, I got to be a little bit active to stay in shape and to be ready for the matches. Otherwise I'd rather stay home and do one week, you know, much less and spend time with the family.
But once I commit to playing a tournament, I have to do a few certain things to be in decent shape for a tournament. Mirka is great, you know. She handles it well. I think myself, too; quite laid back, you know, hands on. It seems it's working so far.

Q. You're not the only person who -- Rafa is also back on tour now after a few weeks off for very different reasons. His knee is of concern for everyone. Everyone is watching to see how he does. Gaël Monfils came in and his knee was iced. David Nalbandian is out with hip surgery. James Blake has a foot injury. How do you manage to stay so injury-free? Is there any special precaution that you take? You seem particularly good remaining injury-free.
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, you'll always find injured players, you know. You can talk about the same thing in six months' time. You'll always find an injured player. Maybe I'm one of them; I hope not. I try to make sure I am not, you know.
I mean, I try to have as good a schedule as possible, you know. I mean, you have to play some certain tournaments which you're, in a way, obliged to play, but at the same time having vacation, having enough practice and doing the right things, you know, I think is key to a player's career.
I guess you need a little bit of luck, as well. If you're injured a lot when you're younger and you play on them instead of maybe taking that break because you have bad advice maybe early on, you know, you carry it through your entire career sometimes, and that then can be a hard thing.
I think Rafa has done actually pretty well considering how hard his game is and how many matches he's played for so many years. He hasn't gotten injured that many times. That's why I'm happy to see him back on tour.
He was only away from the game a little bit, but in tennis terms it's so much because our season never ends. It's from January to November. If you miss two months, it just seems like it's a lot, but it's actually not that much, and I hope now he can stay on tour and not get injured again.

Q. A year ago this time you had an uncommonly early exit from the tournament when it was in Toronto, and obviously what a difference a year makes. You have two Grand Slams under you're belt since then. A lot has changed, but what you sort of taught so many people way beyond the bounds of tennis is about persevering in the way of criticism, doubt, difficulties. And I'm just wondering if you can comment a bit on how you might do that, what you hold on to? Because that is a real lesson for everyone in and out of the sport.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I definitely had to weather the storm, you know, to some degree. We're not talking about me dropping outside of the top 100 or anything. It was like going from 1 to 2 and that seemed like a disaster for some. (laughter.)
For me, that was still okay, because I was still -- you try to hang on to a few things. My thing was trying to hang on to the results in the Grand Slams, and there I reached always semifinals or better. That's why, for me, there was no real need to panic. I was achieving still, you know, regular semis and finals of other events so it wasn't all that bad.
But considering what my, you know, what my goals are and where the media and fans see me, it was tough times, you know, because not only was I maybe not winning the tournaments again I used to, but I was losing to some of those close. Sometimes, like in Paris last year, you know, Rafa crushed me there. It's hard to bounce back from some of those losses.
I'm a strong believer, you know, in that things turn around if you do the right things, and I'm happy -- you know, I got back in shape, you know, after the back problem, after the mono and everything. It was a tough one-and-a-half years, but, you know, I hung in there, and as it shows, it pays off.
It's been an amazing summer because I've had like a full career in like three months. It's been quite something.

Q. How much do you look forward to a tournament like this right now at this stage of the career you're in? How hard is it to get motivated to come out here to Montreal, for instance? Although it is a Masters event, is it still hard to get motivated with everything you've achieved?ROGER FEDERER: Not really. For me, I don't want to say this is like a small tournament, but I got so much pressure everywhere I go that sometimes it's just nicer to play those one-week events, not just the Grand Slams, because those -- Paris and Wimbledon back to back, if you reach finals in both, you know, it swallows six to eight weeks, because you prepare for Paris. Then you prepare for Wimbledon, and then Wimbledon is over and you have the after-effects and you go through three months where you're only playing Grand Slam tennis and it takes a lot out of you.
That's why it's important to take a break. But then when I've had enough of a break and I've practiced a lot, then I'm happy again to go back on tour. It doesn't matter what tournament it is, because I always find something I like about the tournament, and the stadium here for instance is great. People are very friendly and very welcoming. That definitely helps for me choosing, for instance, to come to this event.

Up next is his good buddy Stan Wawrinka. That should be a good match!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

can't wait for the US open...6 in a row
Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Master Fan

OMG..that would be sweeeeeet

In Cincy, He played Ferrer yesterday and won Up next is Hewitt

Quote:
August 20, 2009

Roger Federer

CINCINNATI, OHIO

R. FEDERER/D. Ferrer
3-6, 6-3, 6-4

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please. ?

Q. How do you keep your mental edge and composure in tight matches? You were broken to go down 3-1 in the final set, but you came right back and broke him again. You didn't get flustered.
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, it's something you kind of develop, I guess, over the years, you know. You have a certain attitude out there and certain approach. Mine you know many years ago was that I tried to stay calm and not give too much away to my opponent and try to hang in there. And even when it's tough sometimes, accept it and try to turn it around. There's never a guarantee, obviously.
Today I didn't think I was going to because I thought David was playing a great match. That's why the satisfaction is maybe greater now.

Q. How difficult was it to make shots in the wind?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, look, I like playing in the wind. I used to not like it at all when I was coming up and about because I had a small racquet head size. I used to shank many balls and my footwork wasn't perfect yet. So there's always -- those little adjustment steps you need to take in the wind are crucial, otherwise you'll always shank them.
I think at the beginning maybe my footwork was just a touch off. After that I think got it together, you know, and started to play better and better. In the end when it goes your way, all of a sudden you can actually use the wind to your advantage in a big way. That's what I actually hoped to do the whole match today, but it's not so easy sometimes.

Q. How did you use the wind to your advantage?
ROGER FEDERER: Just playing smart, you know. Because if you play dumb in the wind, that can really -- that can backfire bigtime.

Q. Rafa said that you're an obvious favorite for the US Open. Do you agree with that?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it seems like he's never the favorite, so I guess I -- you know, I'll definitely have a shot, you know, after winning five times, but so has he. He's only lost a handful of matches this year.
Many other guys like Murray and Djokovic have been up there in the past in the finals. Then the other guys right behind them, Del Potro and stuff, they also have changes.
But, yeah, I think definitely the top few guys have the best chance.

Q. Were you disappointed with your first serve? First serve percent was 62%. I've seen you serve better.
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I'd sign that for the entire year, you know. I don't know for whom a good percentage is 50 or 60 or 70 or 80. As long as you don't fall below 50 I think it's always good. Sometimes it's better to have a low first serve percentage, but you're coming up with good serves at 30-All, 30-40, 40-30 points, you know. So you gotta look at the big picture. That's why statistics, for us, are not always that crucial.

Q. You talked yesterday about the up-and-down performances here in the past. With that in mind, how frustrating would it have been if you hadn't got past him today.
ROGER FEDERER: Look, it's stuff you have to accept. I thought he played a good match. I think the frustrating part about this tournament for some of players who lose, like me last year against Karlovic, you don't really get a chance to get become into a match. The conditions are quick. You lose a first set and get a bit unlucky in the second or it goes into a breaker and you're out.
That's how tennis used to be played a lot of the times 10 or 20 years areas when Pete and those guys were around, and Ivanisevic. Came down to a few points even on the hardcourts. That's change for us now because, you know, we return maybe better and the conditions have slowed down dramatically. That then gives us maybe a bit more control in the match.
Here it's not the case. That's why you can crash out without actually playing a bad match. You know, that's then stuff you just have to accept and move on. You can't be too disappointed about it.

Q. What do you want to improve on for your next match here?
ROGER FEDERER: For me it's just really getting match play. I still think sometimes I'm playing wrong decisions out court, you know. I'd like to play sometimes a bit more aggressive or a bit more with spin. I tend to do the opposite. It's just like those little ideas you have sometimes that need to come at the right time.
For that, you need matches. That's why this win today was perfect. Gives me another opportunity to play another match. I'm further into the tournament, which then normally makes me play better. So now I'm excited about the tomorrow.

Q. After the highs of French Open and the record, did you go through any sort of emotional letdown at all?
ROGER FEDERER: Not really. Look, it's not the first time I've done well. I've been in those situations so many times that I'm more -- I only take positive out of it, you know, because you never know when it's your last tournament to win.
Even though I have 60 you still feel -- you never know if it's your last. You have to be happy when it's going well and not think about, oh, my God, I've just won Wimbledon. What a disaster. That's not how I go through life anyway.

Q. What's a better matchup for you, Hewitt or Querrey?
ROGER FEDERER: Tough call. I mean, it seems like Querrey is playing well. He's had a wonderful summer so far, but, I mean, he's played a lot of tennis. I think he's got to definitely battle through Hewitt. That will take something out of him if he comes through. I think on the American hardcourts he's definitely a tough player. That doesn't mean I like to play him.
If I could choose, I would rather play Lleyton just because of our history, our rivalry. I played him for the first time when I was 15 years old. Yeah, we've had some wonderful battles in the biggest arenas around the world. That's why I'd like to always play Lleyton.
It's gonna be a close match, I'm sure.

Q. When all the power came into the men's game with the racquets, it seemed like a lot of the art was taken out of the game.
ROGER FEDERER: I disagree.

Q. Well, now I think it's coming back and we see a lot of different styles. You don't think it went out of the game?
ROGER FEDERER: I just think it's become so much more athletic, you know. Before it was more guiding the ball around, because with the wooden racquets you couldn't really generate a lot of pace. So like even an overhead wouldn't mean it was the end of the point.
Today if a guy gets an overhead you know it's gone, you know. I think today we're seeing incredible plays. No, I think the game has evolved actually quite nicely, you know. You'll always go through patches where you have big servers or then you have baseliners.
But I think throughout the tennis history we'll always see a good mixture, you know.

Last edited by BrokenButterfly; 08-21-2009 at 05:59 AM
Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Master Fan

Well Roger just won his SF match against Andy Murray 6-2, 7-6.

Great match by Roger. And one of the better matches Ive seen him play at Cincy. Hey, who knows..Maybe this will shut up the "Roger can't beat Andy" crap we hear over and over again...for awhile anyways

In any event..he's getting good prep for the USOpen

Cute little interview after where Roger was asked if he's changed the babies diapers.. Ofcourse the answer is yes..Good for him

Old 08-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

Roger won the Cincy final against Novak today! He played a good match, to win his 16th Masters Shield , and his 61st title! Definitely looking good going into the US Open

Quote:

Q. With the debate of the greatest of all?time, obviously with you winning the 15th slam and all that, Laver said you can’t compare eras. If you had to answer the question in terms of criteria to determine who the greatest of all?time would be, how would you go about answering that? Not adjust a player, but what to you constitutes the greatest of all?time in the sport of tennis?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I guess you gotta to be winning many titles and being at the top for very long. You know, dominating I think is also part of it. Yeah, I mean, I think that’s about what it is, you know. Having streaks, you know, no matter how they are, you know. If you’ve been able to create stuff that maybe hasn’t been done before.

Then again, Laver is not on the wrong side. It’s hard to compare eras, and that’s why we don’t know who it is.

Q. It would be natural to lose focus a little bit after a milestone win at Wimbledon, after becoming a father for the first time. You clearly haven’t if this week was an indication. How do you think you’ve been able to manage that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I think I had sort of a good mindset and I had a good nine months to get ready for it, which helped. You know, Mirka was great burg the pregnancy, so I kind of knew that when the babies arrived that she’ll be relax and she’ll be, you know, great support and she won’t mind the traveling if it’s necessary.

All os that I think contributes to me to be free in my mind and being able to do, you know, what I do best. You know, the hard work I put in again in between Wimbledon and Montreal, you know, people don’t know about, but things went great. You know, I was three weeks at the hospital, but I also went for practice, you know, almost every day except obviously during the time of the birth and right after.

But that was all great, you know. My condition trainer was really happy with the work I put in, and with Severin we were really precise on what we wanted to work on. We had Stefan Koubek come over from Austria and had a great practice week.

All of that I felt like ?? actually I’m playing very well at the movement. Of course I was always going to be confident after winning, you know, those big titles in a row. I felt like my game was already pretty well in practice already, so I knew when I was coming over here it was just not just to show up, but to really do something. I mean, that it already paid off so quickly I’m a little bit surprised, you know.

But it’s been great, and now I look forward to New York.

Q. You mentioned in the awards ceremony with Mary Joe how happy you are in your personal life. You said it’s perfect. Is there a direct correlation between that and how well you play?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure, I mean, it helps if you’re happy in your personal life. Then again, when I walk on the court it’s all tennis. I have to sort of be able to block things out that happened off the court.

I want to have fun out there. I love playing in front of sell?out crowds. If you don’t get a high from then something’s wrong with you and you better retire. I don’t ever have that feeling, and I’m sure I will never get that feeling. Walking out on center court is a great feeling.

So then in away connected, but not really. Then when the match is over, then you do your personal life and you see how you try to juggle both things best. It’s not always easy, but by now I have some experience so it’s not a problem.

Q. How special is this title for you? It’s your 61st of your career and your first as a new dad.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I think that’s the special part, especially winning for the first time as a dad. It’s a great thing. Gets me going emotionally a little bit, because I know it’s been a wonderful summer. And going through all of what I’ve been through and then now right away having success again, it’s a great moment in my career again.

You know, Mirka couldn’t unfortunately be in the stadium today, but I know she was watching and happy for me. You know, it’s good to have a week with her to really hang out in New York before playing some more matches.

Q. Is this title any different than the previous ones since you became a father?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I think I played very well, you know, throughout the tournament. But I think it was quite similar to a few years ago when I think I also won here against I think Blake one year in the final and Roddick in the final.

In all the years I’ve come here I’ve always sort of struggled early on but then got on a roll, and it was the same again this year. I mean, like I said, this is a special year for me to win the first title as a dad. But it’s also my first Masters Series win again on hardcourts since a long time.

I’m happy I was able to win here in Cincinnati, my first Masters 1000 on hardcourt again.

Q. Do you ever let your opponents relax?

ROGER FEDERER: What do you mean? They are relaxed.

Q. Is there a point in the match where a point is not as difficult for them as it is at any other time? Do you always stay after it every point?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think that’s what you gotta do to stay at the top, because it’s windy at the top. You know, you’re a little bit off your mark and off your game. You know, you won’t win those matches. It looks convincing 6?1, 7?5, but if a few points go here or there or your focus is not right on breakpoint, then you’ll be broken.

Actually maybe you are the better man, but you end up losing because you’ve lost focus on the biggest points. That’s why you always got to push yourself on each and every point. My game allows me to mix it up and make it hard for the opponent, that he doesn’t know what’s coming. That’s what I’ve done best for so many years now.

Q. One of the other things you said on court was that you are quite lucky to be here because the girls came earlier than expected. When were they supposed to come?

ROGER FEDERER: Beginning of August.

Q. Could have been difficult.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I guess I would have come here, but then without the girls and without Mirka. You know, so that’s the way it went.

Q. Going into next week’s US Open, how would you assess your current confidence level as opposed to going into the US Open this time last year?

ROGER FEDERER: Just a little bit different just because last year we didn’t have the break we usually have in between Wimbledon and Canada. Instead of having, you know, let’s say two weeks off, two weeks practice, I ran from like, you know, one week off, five days practice, and off we go to Canada. Cincinnati I’m trying to hang onto my No. 1 ranking. And then we run to China and some to the US Open, and here we are, you know.

I was lucky enough that when I got to the New York that the fans were I think really there trying to push me back to No. 1 right away. They were great, you know. Like all the cab drivers and everybody was stopping to wish me luck. It was something that I’ve never really experienced before in New York.

I think that really helped turn it around for me. Because after having the disappointment at Wimbledon, even though I played great ?? and also in Beijing where I actually played all right, but also didn’t win that. I was sort of disappointed coming into the US Open, even though I won Olympic gold in the doubles. For the singles that maybe didn’t really help that much.

The fans for me really turned it around, and that’s why this year I’m so excited going back there. I’ve had even better results, so I hope I can again show them what I can do on a tennis court.

Q. How would you compare this tournament to the other stops on the tour? What do you appreciate about Cincinnati the most?

ROGER FEDERER: I think it’s sort of a quiet tournament in between the big majors we have or the big cities we sometimes have. It’s nice to have it a bit more calm at times. I like that change. You know, the players like coming here. They really try hard to put on a good event.

I think the stadium is fantastic to play in. It’s always a good atmosphere. It seems like people really come here for ?? maybe it’s a weekend, maybe it’s an entire day, but then they stay all day at the grounds. Wherever you go practice or walk out, they’re waiting for you.

That’s not always something that happens, because in the big cities they come watch the match and they leave. They go for dinner or go somewhere else. Here, they always stay at the courts, which is quite different.

I think that’s why they’re very tennis fanatical here. For the players, it’s awesome.

Q. Tiger will be in the New York area next week for a tournament. Have you texted or talked about getting together at some point?

ROGER FEDERER: I didn’t know, so thank you for the hint. I’ll contact him and see what he’s up to.

Q. Do you have a friendly rivalry with him just in terms of like you’re one major ahead of him now. Do you guys give each other grief?

ROGER FEDERER: It was more like when we met for the first time. The first few years were very like, all right, I’m up on you. And I was like trying to catch up, but I knew I was never going to because I thought he was gonna to always stay ahead.

Of all of a sudden he had his long injury, and that allowed me to catch up and even pass him. Ever since it’s sort of calmed down. But of course I support him as much as I can, and him the same thing.

So we’re always happy when we win titles, especially majors. I think it’s gotten to a really fun rivalry

Q. Seems like your serve is back to its very best. Is that something you’re most happy with?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, it’s just good to know that when I need a good serve I can hit it, you know, whereas maybe last week I still had some muscle pain just from coming back on tour. Pounding the big serves your arm gets heavy and stuff.

That’s stuff you just have to go through. That’s why I’m happy I was able actually to also come to Montreal and one of the reasons I was able to win here. I got the muscle pain out and got used to hitting big serves again.

I have no back problem and pain, so that allows me again to play freely and focus on the way I want to play and not the way I have to hit the shot. That’s a big difference today than a few months ago.

Q. 3?3 in the second set, you had a fantastic dropshot that kind of got the crowd going. Was that a big momentum changer? The first set you kind of had a relatively easier time compared to the second set. Talk about your performance in the second set. And also, did you feel that Djokovic maybe increased his level in the second set to make it tighter?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, yeah, I mean, my focus is on my own game. I mean, Novak plays good or bad, for me, I try to weather the storm if he plays better. But I was happy the way I came out of the blocks again. I played aggressive. It was quite similar to the Murray match. I didn’t maybe give him that many chances.

Even though I didn’t have a first serve percentage that was very high, I think I served very smart and good on the second serve to always keep him guessing and not knowing what’s gonna come.

I wasn’t missing much. When I wanted to play aggressive, that worked too. Unfortunately I got broken early on in the second, which I could have avoided. But he hung tough, and in the end played some good points to get the break.

I knew that though, because I was in so many service games with him in the first set that if I keep at it I’ll get a chance to break back and then maybe momentum swings again.

That’s kind of what happened. I really had the feeling today I could mix it up the way I wanted to. That then gives me a lot of confidence. You know, I was playing great from the beginning to the end.

Q. Can you speak to the importance of winning that second game of the first set today?
ROGER FEDERER: The second ?? well, I mean, it’s important, but I don’t think it’s crucial. I mean, sure, the beginning is important, but I feel like such an early stage of the match, that’s not the deciding factor yet. I broke him plenty of times today, and he also broke me once. I don’t think the second game was all that key after all.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Thanks for the interview and well done Roger
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

thanks for that
Closed Thread   Post New Thread