Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Total Fan

Religion and Sport: Opinions/Commentary

It's a touchy subject, so I'll let some conversation flow before putting out my strong opinion on it.

For now, I leave you with an article on the devoutly religious Dwight Howard, likely preps-to-pro basketball phenom.

Discuss away!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:58 PM
T
Master Fan

I'm sorta in between about it.. For example the Brazilian national team praying in a circle after winning the 2002 World Cup did get a fair few eyerolls from me because I'm just not used to seeing that (most Finns - like over 80% - belong to the Evangelical Church, but the big, big majority of those don't practise it, so no wonder), but it's their win, their beliefs, so let them go for it.

So that or a player pointing to the sky after a goal to thank god doesn't really bother me (though sometimes that's to remember a friend &/ colleague who's passed away, I know).

What I do mind is stuff like what happened in the 2002 Champions League final and not just because it was Real Madrid's opponent who did it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Basically Lucio scored and and during his celebration he lifted up his jearsey to show a t-shirt that had "God loves you" on it. That "you" is what I have a problem with. I don't need or want anyone telling me that. I may or may not believe that god/s or whatever beings love me, but I certainly don't need footballers or anyone else telling me that. It's probably a small thing to most people, just a one small t-shirt and all that, but I've always been pretty much of the opinion that if I do believe in God (which is still a bit iffy I might add), I'll have no use for priests or churches. To me that kind of stuff are between me and god. That doesn't mean I despise churches or anything like that, it's just that I don't feel any kind of need for them. So the point is that if I don't need priests or such telling me stuff like this, I sure as hell don't need footballers telling it to me either.

What a me-me-me post [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Anyway, after all that rambling, a bit more concisely: I think it's hardly necessary, but if it's such a big part of the players' or athletes' lives, then they shouldn't have to hide it. But that they should also remember that people don't like this stuff - or anything actually - stuffed down their throats. So some courtesy from both sides and I'll be happy at least.

typos..

[ 03-29-2004: Message edited T ]
"Still, the underlying point held; experience as well as common sense indicated that the most reliable method of avoiding self-extinction was to not equip oneself with the means to accomplish it in the first place."
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Elite Fan

Other article in this arc:

Kitna will be missed, to a point:

Quote:
What I won't miss about Kitna is the Christianity he wears on his sleeve and his ball cap. Religion should be a deeply private matter, yet he continues to force it down our throats in public settings.

Each week, the writer who asks the question that launches Kitna into one of his religious filibuster tangents gets awarded the mythical "Traveling Jesus Trophy." It's time to retire that prize.
Hey, as long as Kitna keeps throwing TD passes, I don't really care if he points to the cross on his arm afterwards or goes into a religious diatribe at the post-game press conference, and I'd much rather have a class act like Kitna than a me-me-me kind of player like TO.

As long as they can bring it on the field, then I don't care if they think they got their gifts from God and wears a cap with a cross on it (as Kitna did, and got fined by the NFL because of) - it's their personal life, and they should be allowed to live it at they see fit - if they are comfortable bringing it front-and-center, and take the critisism that entails, then I have no problem with it. That's not to say I won't roll my eyes, but like T said, if it's such a big part of their lives, then they shouldn't have to hide it just because the spectators may not like it.

Wow, what a jumbled post that was. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 03-29-2004: Message edited Avatar ]
Old 03-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Elite Fan

I always reflect back on my dad, George Carlin, when he discussed religion and sports, abouthow an athlete will praise god up and down when he/they win, but nver mention his name when they lose, and how you never hear "i'd like to thank jesus for making me drop the ball" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I think that way to. I'd love to be a professional athlete and be like "well, god liked the University of Illinois and Deron Williams a whole lot more than he liked me and my team. I won't worship him for about a week or so, as i'm upset that he smite my people thusly. But, i guess it's ok, because one week later, god decided that he didn't like the University of Illinois too much anymore, and decided to Smite them too, in favor of the University of Basketball. god just loves them, but not when they turn pro, in which case, he really hates them. I wonder why. "
Old 03-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Master Fan

I read that article last week. It was pretty interesting.

Personally, I don’t have a major problem if an athlete associates sports with religion. I’ll find it a bit over-the-top and unnecessary at times, but don’t consider it a big deal. What I *do* have a problem with is when athletes try to push their religion onto you. It’s one thing to be very religious, but it’s another to constantly put in other people’s faces. I hate to say it, but that’s exactly what it sounds like Dwight Howard plans to do. He will undoubtedly be met with resistance and criticism if he follows this path in the NBA. There are plenty of people who don’t follow the tenets of Christianity, and they don’t want some HS kid trying to show them the “light.” Like the article stated, this mission will probably affect Howard’s earning potential as well.

I have to laugh at Chris’ post because it’s SO true. It’s funny how certain athletes will praise God in interviews when they do well or win the big game, but make no mention of him/her when the results are not what they had expected. If you are going to associate religion with successes, it should also be done in times of failure, IMO. It works both ways.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chi159:
<STRONG> If you are going to associate religion with successes, it should also be done in times of failure, IMO. It works both ways.</STRONG>
And it's not hard to do. All you have to say is simply "This is one of gods lessons, we each need to work harder and become more of a team in order to win, god taught us that today" I'm buddhist, highly anti-religious for the most part, but it's fairly easy to learn from failure and if your religious, put a spin on it so it's not overly horrible to lose.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Total Fan

Religion is a part of many people's lives, and that's fine. I don't want to see it, just as I'm disinterested in a player's marriage, opinion on world politics, or pretty much anything about his or her personal life.

"I'd like to thank God, my teammates, etc" is fine; mentioning their faith in passing doesn't bother me. It's when an athlete (or actor, singer, etc) makes a full stop and makes elaborate, grand-standing statements to praise their faith and proclaim a new era that bothers me to no end.

Odd as it seems, with regards to attire, a cross chain doesn't bother me nearly as much as a cap, shirt, or other outerwear. The cross, at least, is relatively subtle.

Quote:
Originally posted by General Jiang Wei:
<STRONG>I always reflect back on my dad, George Carlin, when he discussed religion and sports, abouthow an athlete will praise god up and down when he/they win, but nver mention his name when they lose, and how you never hear "i'd like to thank jesus for making me drop the ball" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Always found that funny too; is God saying that he rejects half his followers in every game? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And no, I'm not religious; I simply treat God as a general, overall entity for discussion purposes (and am a stickler for punctuation, hence the capitalization).
Old 03-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>(and am a stickler for punctuation, hence the capitalization).</STRONG>
i mock, hence not [img]smilies/evil_laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 01:54 PM
MST Manager

Well, personally, it doesn't really matter to me if an athlete/player associates sports with religion, as long as it isn't overkill, from both sides, which can get rather irritating. What I mean by that is, without going into a lengthy (and unnecessarily wordy) post, it is the person's personal life and decision regarding his spirituality, and I think that should be respected and not criticized if they want to acknowledge their faith in their lives. On the other hand, that same player/athlete should realize that not everyone has the same faith, if any at all, and that should be respected as well.

To each his own, really.