Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2023, 10:52 AM
I am a basketball genius!

Hi all. The N.H.L. preseason begins on Friday, September 22nd at 9:05 P.M. Pacific Time with a game being played in Melbourne, Australia between the Kings & Coyotes. Currently on N.H.L. Network they are airing classic games of Brian Trottier. It is game 2 of Round 1 between the Islanders & Maple Leafs airing on there.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 05:11 PM

Babcock resigns as coach of Blue Jackets amid investigation

Mike Babcock's brief tenure with the Columbus Blue Jackets is over before he even coached a single game for the club.

The Blue Jackets announced Sunday that Babcock resigned and that associate coach Pascal Vincent will serve as head coach.

"Upon reflection, it has become clear that continuing as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets was going to be too much of a distraction," Babcock said in a statement released by the team. "While I'm disappointed to not have had the opportunity to continue the work we've begun, I know it's in the best interest of the organization for me to step away at this time. I wish everyone in the organization well in the upcoming season."

Babcock's resignation comes in the wake of allegations surfacing over the past week that he violated players' privacy when he asked to see photos on their cellphones. The assertions were first presented when former NHL player Paul Bissonnette said on Tuesday's edition of the "Spittin' Chiclets" podcast that Babcock had asked Blue Jackets captain Boone Jenner to show him his camera roll before displaying those photos via AirPlay on a wall in the coach's office.

"Enough with putting guys on the spot in the coaches' room asking them to link their phones up to AirPlay mode and grilling them," Bissonette said after the episode was released. "I've had tons of players confirm it."

Babcock and Jenner both released statements through the Blue Jackets on the same day of the podcast that denied the photo request was anything nefarious. Babcock said that while meeting with players and staff he asked them to share family photos from their phones as part of getting to know them better, and he asserted that what was portrayed on the podcast was "a gross misrepresentation of those meetings and extremely offensive."

Jenner said Babcock asked him about his family, where he was from, his upcoming wedding and hockey-related items. Jenner said the coach asked whether he had any photos of his family and that he was "happy to share some with him." Babcock also shared photos of his family with Jenner, the captain said.

"I thought it was a great first meeting and a good way for us to start to build a relationship," Jenner said in the statement. "To have this blown out of proportion is truly disappointing."

Blue Jackets All-Star forward Johnny Gaudreau confirmed to ESPN last week that he had shown Babcock photos on his phone per the coach's request. Gaudreau said he had "a great meeting" with Babcock.

"We got to share things together, pictures of our family," Gaudreau said. "I was a little upset to see the way it was handled and how it came out ... but nothing you can do about it. We got off to a great start, had a great meeting with him and looking forward to working together."

Former NHL defenseman Mike Commodore, who previously played for Babcock and has been critical of the coach, said he heard that similar behavior occurred when Babcock was the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Commodore said in a video posted to X, formerly Twitter, that he heard "it happened with a few other players in Columbus, too" and that "I don't want to use any names, but in particular [it involved] a young, very highly touted prospect."

Sources told ESPN that two NHLPA executives met with Blue Jackets players Thursday to investigate the claims that Babcock had violated their privacy. The Blue Jackets welcomed the NHLPA investigation to determine whether there was any wrongdoing by Babcock, a source also told ESPN.

"Our players deserve to be treated with respect in the workplace," NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh said. "Unfortunately, that was not the case in Columbus. The club's decision to move forward with a new head coach is the appropriate course of action."

Sportsnet had reported that the NHL and NHLPA planned to discuss the allegations and the next potential steps of the investigation at a meeting previously scheduled for Friday.

The NHLPA's investigation revealed that some players didn't feel totally comfortable with Babcock, sources told ESPN, and younger players in particular spoke out on negative experiences. There was at least one reported incident of Babcock looking at a personal device for what seemed like too long.

"Just awkward interactions," a source briefed on the findings told ESPN.

"[Babcock] may be trying to change, but you can't force it," a player's agent told ESPN. "His communication style wasn't going to work for the younger generation."

The move by Babcock comes less than three months after he was hired by the club in July. Babcock, who has also coached the team then known as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and the Detroit Red Wings, also saw his conduct with players come into question when he was in charge of the Leafs.

Babcock, who coached the Leafs from 2015 to 2019, requested a private meeting with Mitchell Marner in which he asked the forward to rank his teammates' work ethic and then revealed those rankings to the team. Another former player, Johan Franzen, accused Babcock of being verbally abusive when Franzen played with the Red Wings.

Babcock, who is 60 and had last coached in the NHL in 2019, was slated to be the head coach of the University of Saskatchewan men's program for two seasons starting in May 2021, only to step down months later.

His replacement in Columbus, Vincent, was a Winnipeg Jets assistant coach for five seasons before he became head coach of the Jets' AHL affiliate. Vincent coached the Manitoba Moose for five seasons before he was hired by the Blue Jackets prior to the start of the 2021-22 season to serve as associate coach.

"This was a difficult decision on everyone's part, but one we felt necessary to ensure our focus remains on the players and the team's upcoming season," Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement. "On behalf of the entire Blue Jackets organization, we want to thank Mike for his hard work and professionalism he has shown in working together on a plan to step down."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...s-blue-jackets
Old 09-24-2023, 09:50 PM

Hi all. My gosh. The Vancouver Canucks lost by 10 goals vs. Calgary in their first preseason game this year. Damn. I did watch that game, but that is inexplicable for any pro hockey team in my opinion to give up over 9 goals in a 60 minute game without scoring any themselves. I will watvh the Senators vs. Maple Leafs game scheduled for tomorrow/Monday. Enjoy your hockey everybody.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:17 PM

Frustrating loss by the Senators today vs. Carolina. They had the lead & Carolina still scored 5 goals & won. Edmonton will play Vancouver soon & they are doing pre game celebrations in Vancouver. Henrik Sedin & Trevor Linden, among other former captains of the Canucks are there. Enjoy watching hockey guys.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:39 PM

Hey guys. Here is some news:

Coyotes officially leaving Arizona for Salt Lake City following approval of sale to Utah Jazz owners

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — The Arizona Coyotes are officially headed to Salt Lake City.

The NHL Board of Governors voted unanimously Thursday to approve a $1.2 billion sale from Alex Meruelo to Utah Jazz owners Ryan and Ashley Smith, clearing the way for the franchise’s move to Utah next season.

The deal includes a provision for Arizona to get an expansion team if a new arena is built within the next five years. The deal will be facilitated through the NHL, with $200 million going to league owners as a relocation fee.

“We expressed our interest publicly with the NHL,” Ryan Smith told The Associated Press. “It’s probably been two years where we’ve said, ‘Hey, look, we really believe Utah can be an incredible hockey town.’ You look at all the demographics, we were just talking about the Olympics and you think about the Olympics coming back. It all kind of made sense.”

Smith will take over the franchise’s hockey operations and Meruelo will maintain his business operations in Arizona in an effort to secure and develop a tract of land for a new arena in north Phoenix.

Meruelo also retains ownership of the Tucson Roadrunners, the franchise’s AHL affiliate, and hopes to move them to Mullett Arena, the Coyotes’ temporary home shared with Arizona State University the past two seasons. He plans to pay back the $1 billion once an expansion team is approved.

“The NHL’s belief in Arizona has never wavered,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. “We thank Alex Meruelo for his commitment to the franchise and Arizona, and we fully support his ongoing efforts to secure a new home in the desert for the Coyotes. We also want to acknowledge the loyal hockey fans of Arizona, who have supported their team with dedication for nearly three decades while growing the game.”

Meruelo will retain the Coyotes’ name, logo and trademark, so Smith’s group will have to rename the team. The team will play at Delta Center, home of the Jazz, until a new arena can be built.

“We’ll start with Utah on the jersey and we’ll figure out the logo and everything else, and what it is that we are, but that’s a one-way door,” Smith said. “You’ve got to do it once. And with this timeline, I think both the league feels better and we feel better to just run the process and then we’ll drop it when we drop it.”

The sale ends the Coyotes’ long-running bid to find a permanent home.

The franchise shared an arena with the NBA’s Phoenix Suns after relocating from Winnipeg, moved to Glendale and ended up at Mullett Arena when the city of Glendale backed out of a lease agreement.

Meruelo had been adamant about not wanting to sell the team despite receiving numerous offers since buying the team in 2019. When an auction for the land in north Phoenix got pushed back to June, the Coyotes had no guarantee a deal for a new arena would go through.

With the NHL and players’ association hesitant for the Coyotes to play at 5,000-seat Mullett Arena for a third season, Meruelo opted to sell the team, his focus shifting to the new arena and expansion team.

“I agree with Commissioner Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League, that it is simply unfair to continue to have our players, coaches, hockey front office, and the NHL teams they compete against, spend several more years playing in an arena that is not suited for NHL hockey,” Meruelo said in a statement. “But this is not the end for NHL hockey in Arizona. I have negotiated the right to reactivate the team within the next five years, and have retained ownership of the beloved Coyotes name, brand and logo. I remain committed to this community and to building a first-class sports arena and entertainment district without seeking financial support from the public.”

The Coyotes played their final game in Arizona on Wednesday night, a 5-2 win over the playoff-bound Edmonton Oilers. The players celebrated on the ice with team personnel and a few handed their sticks over the glass to fans, who chanted “We love you Coy-otes!”

“It’s tough to take it all in,” Coyotes rookie forward Logan Cooley said. “A lot of noise, a lot of personal stuff and obviously the organization, you hear you’re going one spot then you’re going to the next spot. We’ve done a good job in this locker room focusing on keeping out the noise and getting better as a team, striving to be the team we want to be one day.”

Officials from Salt Lake City and the city’s 2034 Olympic bid supported Smith’s attempt to bring hockey to Utah, giving the state two major professional franchises.

“This announcement is about more than bringing an NHL team to Salt Lake City — it’s a defining moment in our trajectory, becoming a catalyst for a positive vision that integrates community, connection, and more possibilities for families, residents, and visitors to experience our capital city,” Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall said in a statement. “I’m thankful for the close partnership with Ryan & Ashley Smith, and the entire SEG team. This is the beginning of a new era that will generate exciting opportunities for our communities, amplify pride and unlock new potential in our downtown core.”

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-c...63128b01347857
Old 04-26-2024, 07:32 PM

The Canucks just defeated Nashville by a score of 2-1. Vancouver had 12 shots on goal in this game today. Well done Canucks. Also, Brendan Dillon of Winnipeg had his hand stepped on at the end of his game vs. Colorado. Wish him well.

Last edited by canflam; 04-26-2024 at 11:04 PM
Reply   Post New Thread