Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 12:46 AM
MST Manager

NBA Regular Season Discussion Thread Part #3

Let's continue our discussion here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2003, 09:49 AM
Total Fan

Discussions are still "ongoing" regarding the potential Raptors/Bulls blockbuster. I'm hoping it happens; for the Raptors, they clear out a lot of unsightly contracts. While Rose and Eddie Robinson are also overpaid, Rose is a star and Robinson is at least healthy.

Carter, Rose, Bosh and Marshall are a solid place to start in the Eastern Conference.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Addicted Fan

The rumour mill is on overdrive up in Raptor land. I was watching the local postgame show after the Celtics-Sixers game last night and nearly ***** my pants when they mentioned "a trade." All I saw on the screen was:

To Chicago:
Alvin Williams
Jerome Williams
Morris Peterson
To Toronto:
Jalen Rose

To Dallas:
Antonio Davis
To Toronto:
Antawn Jamison
Tony Delk

Unfortunately, I didn't notice that they were just "proposed trades." It would have been nice seeing Vince reunited with fellow Tar Heel, Jamison. Hopefully the Raptors get something done. The recent report I read had the deal going down like this:

Quote:
The proposed trade would ship the increasingly disgruntled Davis to Chicago along with Jerome Williams, a fan favourite, and Morris Peterson, who has been on the block for weeks. In return, the Bulls would send forwards Donyell Marshall, Eddie Robinson and Marcus Fizer to Toronto, along with Rose.

Article here
Old 11-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Total Fan

As a Toronto resident, this new development of 2 separate deals is...wow. I'd love to see this go through; Carter, Jamison and Rose would be a really tough trifecta to beat in the Eastern Conference.

Delk would be a workable point, the burden of re-signing Peterson is lifted, and I think they save a little money (considering the pay raise Peterson was likely to get, were he to remain).
Old 11-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Addicted Fan

I don't think the Dallas deal is going down anymore. According to HoopsWorld.com, Cuban's reaction to the deal was:

Quote:
“HELL NO”: Reporters reached out to Mavericks owner Mark Cuban regarding reports that his club may get involved with Chicago and Toronto, by sending out Antawn Jamison and Tony Delk for Antonio Davis, in what Toronto papers report as a two minute response, the Cubanator responded “Hell No” when asked if there was any substance to the talks.
Too bad though. That would have been one helluva deal for the Raptors. Although, they would have lost alot of their rebounding and inside presence. But then again, AD hasn't done much this season. Bring on the trades, baby! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Total Fan

Thought it was too good to be true, but I hoped. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

I echo Cuban's sentiments as a Dallas fan. Not only "No," but "Hell NO!" Jaimeson is finally getting comfortable in the Dallas lineup, although not starting remains a problem. Dallas' rebounding is up this year as is their inside scoring. All that without a true center most nights. Delk is making contributions too (when healthy). I'd like to see Cuban and the Nelsons stick with this lineup for a while.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Total Fan

I believe Dallas would be better dealing Delk for a draft pick; his minutes can be easily distributed amongst Nash/Finley/Best to make everyone else happier, plus the salary they save can give them a run at the middle class free agents of 2004.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Shaolin...hey [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] nice to see ya around here again. [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Total Fan

Sad news in the world of basketball.

Quote:

Retirement necessary after three-year battle

Associated Press
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Alonzo Mourning's NBA career is over.

The seven-time All-Star center will soon need a kidney transplant and will no longer be able to play professional basketball, New Jersey Nets president and general manager Rod Thorn announced on Monday morning.

"It is with great sadness that I make this announcement," Thorn said. "Alonzo is a true champion and a very courageous athlete who attempted to defy the odds with his comeback to the NBA. Unfortunately, his medical condition will not allow him to continue his basketball career. Our thoughts and prayers are with him as he continues his fight against this disease."

The team said Mourning needs a transplant "in the near future" and that a nationwide search is under way for a prospective donor.

The 33-year-old Mourning left the Miami Heat and signed a four-year, $22 million contract with the Nets last July despite missing the entire 2002-03 season with a kidney disease.

In 2000, Mourning was diagnosed with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a disease that causes chronic kidney failure within a decade in more than half of the people diagnosed.

Dr. Gerald Appel of Columbia University Medical Center said Mourning's kidney function has deteriorated rapidly in recent weeks.

"It is no longer medically safe for him to play basketball," Appel said. "Although he still feels well, the chemical imbalances in his blood make it dangerous for him to play."

Mourning played in 12 games for the Nets this season, averaging a disappointing 8 points and 2.3 rebounds in 17.9 minutes. His career averages were 20.3 points and 9.8 rebounds per game coming into this season.

He was in his 12th season in the NBA, having previously played for the Charlotte Hornets and Miami Heat. He also was a member of the 2000 gold medal-winning Team USA Olympic squad.
Quote:
Thoughts on Alonzo

"I spoke with Alonzo last night regarding his situation. I feel for him and his family during what is a very difficult time for them. Alonzo has always been a strong person and I know he will find a way to overcome this setback. What is important now is that Alonzo focus his energies on getting healthy and living the rest of his life. Today's news was very disturbing to me. I wish him all the best. He is, and always will be, very special to me."
Patrick Ewing, fellow former Georgetown center.

"It's a sad day in anyone's life when they can no longer do what they love, especially when they have no control over their situation. Alonzo had been the cornerstone of the Heat organization for eight years and continues to be a role model in the Miami community. Our prayers and wishes go out to Alonzo and his family during this very difficult time. Like the warrior he is, he will fight this and prevail."
Pat Riley, Mourning's ex-Heat head coach.
Alonzo Mourning is a player I have always admired, and hopefully he will be able to conquer this latest setback.

Edited: It's worth noting that other players such as Sean Elliot have successfully returned after a kidney transplant.

[ 11-24-2003: Message edited Headhunter ]
Old 11-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Part-Time Fan

I am so, so glad Mourning did not come to Dallas.

I wish him well in the future.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Extreme Fan

Have the Nuggets stopped scoring on the Suns yet? lol My god a 30 point win last night for the Nugs. 110-80. 8-6 so far in the season [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Never been a fan of Zo' but sad to hear about him retiring...but he should consider his health first.

Sprewell To Show Knicks What They're Missing

Cuban & Mavs Working With 'P Diddy' On New Uniforms

Brown Expecting Tough Philly Crowd Tonight
Old 11-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Elite Fan

The NBA sucks this year.... I don't even know what's going on anymore and more importantly, I don't care!

I'm feel the exact same way after MJ retired in '98, now I feel it in 2003 [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It's just not the same without him, it's just not. I understand his body wasn't responding but I miss him all the same.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Total Fan

Mourning's contract wasn't insured as his kidney ailment was a pre-existing condition upon signing his contract. Not only that, but it won't come off the cap until at least July 2005, and his salary pushed the Nets over the luxury tax limit.

Combined with Mutombo and Rogers' brick contracts, the Nets have dug themselves a deep financial hole. With this deep debt, I can't see them retaining Kenyon Martin after this season. Jefferson's up in 2005 too...