Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by BB.:
<STRONG>Yeah, Tyler did great today [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It was so nice to see him win a stage. And he sure did it with style.

This guy deserves the yellow jersey [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The question is how many years he's got left as a professionel rider.
[ 07-23-2003: Message edited BB. ]</STRONG>
Good point. Does anyone know how old Hamilton is?

BB, did you watch the Tour De France the year that Bjarne Riis won it? That was such a surprising upset, and a great moment for Denmark. (Umm, he is Danish, right? Or did I just make a huge error?)
Rogue Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Way to go Tyler. [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] To say I'm really happy he won the stage is an huge understatement. What an inspiration.

Rogue Gal, part of the reason we got a DSS was to get OLN and some other channels not carried on local cable (well, they might be now, but they weren't five years ago when we moved here). Phil Liggit is my favorite sports announcer, so I think I'd go crazy not being able to hear his voice, except for when he does the Olympics.

I'm not sure how old Hamilton is. I've seen two different ages listed for him, but I tend to go with 30 because I've seen that mentioned more than 32.

BB., I've watched stages of the Tour live before. It's on at 8 or 9 AM depending on if it's a flat stage or a mountain stage. Now that I have a TiVo though, I just have that record it and watch it when I have the time. It really annoys me that the Sunday coverage isn't on live though. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Here in the US cycling has gained a lot of popularity due to Lance Armstrong, so OLN shows most of the Spring Classics and all of the Grand Tours. My SO and I used to be the only ones I knew who actually watched the races though, but this year his parents and my aunt and uncle are watching too. I used to live in a city that had a criterium race every summer and I got to say hi to a few pro cyclists, even though I had no idea who they were. I think that's what made me so interested in pro cycling though.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Master Fan

Woww never noticed that Lance Armstrong had a thread here [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Anyway I must say that I admire the man, how he has survived the cancer and then came back winning The Tour de France 4 times in a row [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm so curious about tomorrow. Ullrich is only at 1.07 but I'm sure Lance will do great.
Nele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Extreme Fan

did he win or not? the news is conflicting..
i want him to win!!! http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/index.html?cnn=yes
Old 07-26-2003, 07:35 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

The final stage of the Tour is kind of a formality and usually no one challenges the leader that day, so for all intents and purposes (which I just realized is a redundant statement) Armstrong has won, but it won't be official until the end of the stage tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:17 AM
Passionate Fan

Yahoo and other major news web sites are all reporting that he has won... and there is a picture of him drinking champagne while he is riding to paris, a commmon thing, at least that i have seen Lance do.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Total Fan

Lance has won. they are showing taped footage of today's race in the US right now, but he did win. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/party.gif[/img] Congrats to Lance! [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] #5!
Old 07-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Extreme Fan

Awesome [img]smilies/party.gif[/img] , especially for someone who has survived cancer
what sort of cancer did he have before anyway?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Total Fan

testicular cancer. and a very fast-moving strain of it.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:10 AM
BB.
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Gal:
<STRONG>Good point. Does anyone know how old Hamilton is?

BB, did you watch the Tour De France the year that Bjarne Riis won it? That was such a surprising upset, and a great moment for Denmark. (Umm, he is Danish, right? Or did I just make a huge error?)</STRONG>
Yeah, I did watch the Tour when Riis won. It was a great achievement. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And he is Danish allright [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think Tyler Hamilton is 32 (born Born in 01/03/1971). At least that's what I've read on several sports sites - incl. the official Tour de France page

Congrats to Armstrong. He certainly deserved his fifth Tour win a row. [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img]

BB
BB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Master Fan

Congrats to Lance for winning his fifth consecutive Tour De France! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That’s incredible. This victory was not an easy one, though. I think the age of time is slowly beginning to catch up with him. Had Ulrich not suffered a serious fall in the second to last stage, he would have seriously challenged for the throne. I’ll be interested to see these two duke it out next year. If Lance wins an unprecedented sixth in a row, I have a feeling that will probably be his last. We’ll see, though.

This has to be one of the most amazing stories to come along in the sports world in quite some time. To overcome all the adversity that Armstrong has, and still dominate his sport, speaks volumes about his talent and determination.

Way to go, Lance! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 12:43 PM
BB.
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chi159:
<STRONG>Congrats to Lance for winning his fifth consecutive Tour De France! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That’s incredible. This victory was not an easy one, though. I think the age of time is slowly beginning to catch up with him. Had Ulrich not suffered a serious fall in the second to last stage, he would have seriously challenged for the throne. I’ll be interested to see these two duke it out next year. If Lance wins an unprecedented sixth in a row, I have a feeling that will probably be his last. We’ll see, though.
</STRONG>
Yeah, and don't forget that another serious chanllenger, Joseba Beloki, crashed earlier during the Tour and had to leave it. And I still think Tyler Hamilton will have a lot to offer next year - without a fractured collarbone.

I'm looking forward to it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

BB
BB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread