Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LaraCroft01:
<STRONG>What Moore did caued Nasland to not be able to play for three games. And the guy doesn't get puinshed? Tell me how that is fair. Moore started it off by being a jerk in the first place. Don't flame me for it cause it's my opinon. How is it "clean" when the guy gets a concussion?

I've heard that Moore was up and about the next day walking around the hospital. I could be biased but I am not seeing how he was deathly injured.

Headhunter True, had Moore not been hospitalized then Bertuzzi wouldn't be in so much trouble. I'm just wondering why Vancouver is being made a scape goat here when Moore gave someone a concussion and didn't get squat for it.

I think Raonaild is right: everyone who injurs someone else should be puinshed. This includes Moore who gave someone a concussion. I think being suspended and fine is a little harsh. I am also beginning to think that Vancouver is being made the scape goat for all injuries in the NHL- and that no one will learn anything from any of this.

Raonaild Thanks for the info. I am not hearing anything about it down here in the States (but then I'm not a news watcher). Vancouver's media tends to go a little over the top over some things, and I can picture how much of a fuss they have made over it. Do you think it's influenced the league? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]</STRONG>

It was a clean hit, no penalty was called and there was no suspension, how is that being a jerk for playing the game?

I live in Denver so I know just as you what's going on, he was not walking around, when the team went to visit him, he was wheeled out in a wheelchair and wearing a neck brace. You're a Canuck fan, i'm a Av's fan so we can go back and forth and we'll get nowhere. It's all opinions and this is my opinion.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Total Fan

Personally, Moore's hit on Naslund was questionable; I watched the replay numerous times, and it's not an obviously clean hit...

Moore should have been punished, in my opinion. The fact that he didn't, which gave the Canadian press an opening to berate and prod and provoke, largely led to this incident. Up here where hockey is king, Canadian teams are treated with reverence and the slightest provocation becomes a full-blown war.

Had Moore been suspended, even a game, this wouldn't have happened. If the Canadian press had shut up after the first rematch between Colorado/Vancouver had gone without incident, this wouldn't have happened. A lot of parties are to blame, to varying degrees...
Old 03-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Personally, Moore's hit on Naslund was questionable; I watched the replay numerous times, and it's not an obviously clean hit...

Moore should have been punished, in my opinion. The fact that he didn't, which gave the Canadian press an opening to berate and prod and provoke, largely led to this incident. Up here where hockey is king, Canadian teams are treated with reverence and the slightest provocation becomes a full-blown war.

Had Moore been suspended, even a game, this wouldn't have happened. If the Canadian press had shut up after the first rematch between Colorado/Vancouver had gone without incident, this wouldn't have happened. A lot of parties are to blame, to varying degrees...</STRONG>
I agree, the press made it huge after the Moore hit on Naslund. But if you watch the tape and I watched the game, Naslund had his head down when Moore hit him, that's why the hit was bad. Naslund even said I should've kept my head up. Moore was just playing the game.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Master Fan

So it's okay for Moore to give Naslund a concussion? It's Naslund's fault for not "keeping his head up"? I don't think so. Moore shouldn't have fallen like he did when Bertuzzi sucker punched him. It's his fault for not skating properly or whatever if he fell as hard as he did.

What Moore did is inexcusable. Why was he not made to apologize? Why were the Av's not chastized in the media? Why is it all the Canucks? It's our fault boo hoo. Whatever.

It's being a jerk because he did it in the first place. "Playing the game?" He gave the man a concussion! It's bizzare isn't it how the media is sooo quick to forget what Moore did?

Like you said you are an Av's fan and the Canucks are my number one team. We can go back and forth and are both biased. I think what Moore did should have been dealt with but he was able to get away with it for whatever reason. Now the Canucks fire back and suddendly we're the bad guys? Um okay, whatever. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And as for him walking around, I did hear that the next day he was up. This was in Vancouver. I have no idea what he looks like now, but who's the say they aren't making this worse then it is?

Raonaild Why on earth did Canada's media go against Bertuzzi like that? He's been flamed pretty hard. He apologizes and they say he should have shaved and worn a better suit! What more do they want?

Go Don Cherry! [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] He is soo right! I would love to have seen his little speal. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Why make an example of the Canucks? This is what I'm not getting. Why not make an example of the Av's after what they did?

I heard that Bertuzzi did break Moore's neck. THis isn't the case? I wonder just how truely injured Moore is.

Headhunter ITA with you. If Moore had been dealt with this wouldn't have happened. If the press didn't play it up this probably wouldn't have happened.

What do you mean here:

Quote:
f the Canadian press had shut up after the first rematch between Colorado/Vancouver had gone without incident, this wouldn't have happened.
You're talking about the game in which Moore hit Naslund? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Extreme Fan

This will be my final take on the situation. I have nothing against you Lara Croft or anything, I stated my opinions and you have stated yours. You have your take on Moore for being a jerk and I have my takes on Bertuzzi being a jerk. Like I said, it's alright to stick up for your teamates and everything but do it right, make it a fight not a sucker punch. Moore already had a fight in the game and everything should've been closed then. But don't blame everything on Moore, Moore is injured with a broken neck, i'm not in the hospital, you're not there so you can't say he's walking and everything is fine with him.

We're both goin to be bias on this. So again i'm not trying to fight with you or anything, we're just two people who are fans of the Av's and Canucks, it's a rivalry, even though I still consider the Red Wings more of a rivalry then the Canucks. lol But anyway, I have nothing more to say on this. The playoffs are near and the race for the Stanley Cup will start.

Just a good discussion! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-14-2004: Message edited Carmelo Anthony ]
Old 03-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

We have one thing in common: we consider the Detroit Red Wings a foe. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I have nothing against you either Carmelo Anthony we have different opinons on the matter. I don't know if his neck is really broken as I've heard it's not. I've heard he was walking in the hospital the next day. The status of his injuries is unknownst to me at this point, but hopefully it'll be cleared up in the future.

Moore is not innoncent in this situation as it seems.

This is a good discussion! It is interesting to hear a Av's fan take on the situation. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-14-2004: Message edited LaraCroft01 ]
Old 03-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Master Fan

Every Friday in my French class, we have debates and this was one of the topics. It was obviously a good choice of topic because the discussion was getting really heated. I wanted to jump in, but that's equivalent to getting eaten alive.

A lot of the kids said that "violence is part of the game" and I don't deny it. But I think that violence has become too big of a part. I mean, a lot of the people I know only like hockey for the violence. Most people are disappointed when they attend a game that was "fightless", but even that is rare. I know I can't go to one game without there being one or two major fights. There are NHL teams who recruit players who only serve one purpose - to fight. I'm not really sure if 50 years ago, hockey was as violent as it is now, but I assume it wasn't as bad.

Not being big fans of either the Canucks or the Avs, I didn't see any tv footage of the hit on Naslund or Moore (I've seen pics, but that was more than enough for me). I'm not saying that the hit on Naslund was a clean hit or anything, but there have been many incidents where players have received concusions due to being checked. But not all of them have gotten as much attention than this one (maybe it was news locally, but I doubt it was known nationally). Why is that? I think it's because the hit was on a top player in the NHL. And I don't think that Moore's bad for doing what he did. In almost every single game played in the NHL, the 'top players' are targetted.

Also, I don't really like how people are saying that Moore's a coward for not fighting with Bertuzzi. I'm sure a lot of people feel that Moore should have owned up to what he did to Naslund (I'm sure Moore should have known that Bertuzzi wanted payback), and maybe he should have. But the fact still stands that Bertuzzi hit Moore from behind and the whole thing was unfair and rather cheap. If Moore had been a participant in the whole thing, maybe his injuries wouldn't be as bad and Bertuzzi wouldn't be under all this scrutiny.

Although I think it's kind of weird that Bertuzzi said that he didn't mean what he did, I do believe that he didn't mean for it to go as far as it got. In the heat of the moment, a lot can happen. Frustration and anger can lead to a lot of things, but I'd really hate to think of what might happen if all mentality (sorry, I really can't think of the right word) was lost and something as severe as a death would result from it. Perhaps it will have to take a death before the violence in hockey tones down.

As for what the NHL should do about it, I think that maybe they should have made Bertuzzi's punishment a bit more severe. I know it really sounds like I don't like Bertuzzi, but I'm really sick of hearing about all this violence in the NHL. I want it to not exactly stop (I don't think it will ever stop), but to tone down a lot before something really serious happens. If other players see the consequences of what would happen, maybe they'd keep their head during the game and less of this would happen.

That's just my two cents. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Master Fan

The reason that Moore's hit on Naslund was talked about was because of the lack of respect on Moore's part. This relatively new guy, comes in and gives an unclean hit to the captain, and key player of another team, and knocks him out for 2-3 games.

That said, you can equally turn it around on Todd and yell lack of respect. And ofcourse, you should. Even more so. If you're mad at the guy..fight. Don't suckerpunch him. If this had been a "fight", and Moore got a concussion, Todd wouldn't be suspended, atleast not for the rest of the year, and perhaps longer. If this was a fight, 2-3 guys would not have fallen on top of the kid, adding to his injury.

All that said..I must admit, I found the McSorley incident more painful to watch. I'm not defending Todd, not in the least, and I'm not saying I didn't see anything wrong with what he did...but seeing the stick being aimed at someone's head, just unnerved me a little more.

And I'm not even going to comment on the state of the NHL.. yeesh..

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA
BrokenButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelo Anthony:
<STRONG>

I agree, the press made it huge after the Moore hit on Naslund. But if you watch the tape and I watched the game, Naslund had his head down when Moore hit him, that's why the hit was bad. Naslund even said I should've kept my head up. Moore was just playing the game.</STRONG>
Yep, I caught that. Though I agree that Naslund should have been more aware, Moore understood that smashing a player with his head down isn't looked upon kindly. He knew what he was doing...

Quote:
Originally posted by LaraCroft01:
<STRONG>

Headhunter ITA with you. If Moore had been dealt with this wouldn't have happened. If the press didn't play it up this probably wouldn't have happened.
</STRONG>
Canadian press is fanatical about hockey; I never understood it, myself. Investing so much of the country's interest into a singular event, a sport no less, seems rediculous...

Quote:
<STRONG>

You're talking about the game in which Moore hit Naslund? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I meant the first rematch between the Avalanche and the Canucks; the Canadian media had been building up interest in possible vengeance in the first game between the two since Naslund suffered a concussion. Once that rematch had come and gone without retribution, it should have been left alone.

Quote:
Originally posted by - nellie -:
<STRONG>

A lot of the kids said that "violence is part of the game" and I don't deny it. But I think that violence has become too big of a part. I mean, a lot of the people I know only like hockey for the violence. Most people are disappointed when they attend a game that was "fightless", but even that is rare. I know I can't go to one game without there being one or two major fights. There are NHL teams who recruit players who only serve one purpose - to fight. I'm not really sure if 50 years ago, hockey was as violent as it is now, but I assume it wasn't as bad.</STRONG>
50, or even 15 years ago, the game had a lot more skill to it. Physical and punishing players still had a modicum of skill to survive with an NHL team. Especially pre-expansion, the 6 teams only had a total of 126 spots; everyone had to contribute.

For me, NHL hockey has been absolutely destroyed in the last 10 years. Between the suffocating traps and puck dumping, the pointless aggression/rampant fighting and extreme talent dilution due to expansion, the game is unwatchable.

Quote:
<STRONG>But not all of them have gotten as much attention than this one (maybe it was news locally, but I doubt it was known nationally).</STRONG>
It's been a huge news story throughout Canada. I can't get away from it, and I don't even like hockey...

Quote:
<STRONG>Although I think it's kind of weird that Bertuzzi said that he didn't mean what he did, I do believe that he didn't mean for it to go as far as it got. In the heat of the moment, a lot can happen. Frustration and anger can lead to a lot of things, but I'd really hate to think of what might happen if all mentality (sorry, I really can't think of the right word) was lost and something as severe as a death would result from it. Perhaps it will have to take a death before the violence in hockey tones down.</STRONG>
Yeah, Bertuzzi seemed to have gotten carried away. That said, Moore should have been more aware; Bertuzzi has missed time before as a result of his...aggression. Somehow, I don't think an on-ice death would have more than a few years of effect on hockey...

Quote:
Originally posted by *Catherine*:
<STRONG>
That said, you can equally turn it around on Todd and yell lack of respect. And of course, you should. Even more so. If you're mad at the guy..fight. Don't suckerpunch him. If this had been a "fight", and Moore got a concussion, Todd wouldn't be suspended, atleast not for the rest of the year, and perhaps longer.</STRONG>
Agreed. Had Bertuzzi gone up to him and demanded a fight, I could live with it.

Quote:
<STRONG>If this was a fight, 2-3 guys would not have fallen on top of the kid, adding to his injury.</STRONG>
This part amazes me to no end; shouldn't Moore be upset that his careless teammates threw themselves recklessly towards his prone body, severely adding to his injury? While Bertuzzi is obviously the instigator and the primary cause of his injuries, I'd be pretty pissed if my teammates had stupidly hurtled themselves at my prone body...
Old 03-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Total Fan

Ken Dryden on violence throughout hockey, and Dave Hodge's take on the Bertuzzi incident.