Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:34 PM
MST Manager

Despised Players Or Teams- Do You Still Recognize Their Skills?

Sometimes, a player that you hate has an amazing game, or a team you despise has an incredible season, and even though you literally loathe any and everything about him, her, or the franchise, at certain times, you just might have to give them their props.

So, talk to us. Which team(s) or player(s) have you had to acknowledge their talent or abilities, no matter how much you didn’t want to?

As for me, it’s nothing I can admit online. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Elite Fan

Kobe Bryant -- I hate him with a fiery passion. BUT! Boy is all that and a bag of chips when it comes to the game.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Loyal Fan

diego forlan of manchester united..gosh i just cant stand everything about him, but he scores some great goals that i have to applaud [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

amelia~
Old 12-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Elite Fan

the only time that happens is when I get them on my fantasy league team. Ill try totrade them, but sometimes you just gotta root for them. My teams sometimes take a hit for it though, i'll avoid a good player if he's on a team I hate and i'd rarely go for a palyer i dislike. I will cut them down at anytime.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Passionate Fan

The only person that comes to mind is Michael Jordan. Yes I'm one of the few people that never got the appeal of Michael Jordan. I would say hate but saying I hate him would be extreme cuz hate can kill so I'll go with intensely dislike. Not to mention I hate how the sports reporters always seemed to fawn over him relentlessly knowing about how he's so not a role model. Yet denigrate others for being just as bad.

However, I can admit he's the greatest player to have ever played the game and I give him props for that.
Katiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:37 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Katiebear:
<STRONG>However, I can admit he's the greatest player to have ever played the game and I give him props for that.</STRONG>
You can now continue posting at this board. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NikNak:
<STRONG>

You can now continue posting at this board. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Thats right
Old 12-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>

You can now continue posting at this board. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Gosh I feel so honored for what its worth I never had a problem with Kobe Bryant.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2003, 11:41 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
<STRONG>

Gosh I feel so honored for what its worth I never had a problem with Kobe Bryant.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Good to know. To me, anyway. Hee.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>

Good to know. To me, anyway. Hee.</STRONG>
I meant to reply to the Kobe Haters that seem to be everywhere [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Even though I don't care for the Lakers, Kobe never really bothered me I mean I found other NBA players a lot more irritating. Plus he reminds me of my own brother so what can I say I've built a tolerance [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2003, 01:31 PM
T
Master Fan

So far I'd say there's two such players for me that I could name. Being a Real fan I of course detest Barcelona, but two of their players have wormed their way into my heart.

Luis Enrique is the bigger miracle becuase he actually was a Real player to start with and never seemed to do anyhting too great - not until he movied to Barca. That's not something easily swallowed, but the 2002 World Cup match where Spain faced Ireland changed that. Tough match, perhaps tougher than it looked on paper, but that's beside the point. The match went to overtime and one of Spain's players couldn't play because of an injury. Spain had made all three substitutions already, so it was 10 Spaniards vs 11 Irishmen who had nearly the whole stadium full of their fans, cheering them on. It was a sea of green. Then this fellow, Enrique, gets a cramp in his leg. Looks like a bad one too. But he just refuses to give in. Refuses to hobble over the line and leave his team playing with 9 men. Can't run properly, but still he tries.. Spain made it to penalties and won it eventually. After that match I've never been able to hate the guy like I did before.

The other player is Puyol who's just done so good for the national team that I can't quite mind him either.
"Still, the underlying point held; experience as well as common sense indicated that the most reliable method of avoiding self-extinction was to not equip oneself with the means to accomplish it in the first place."
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Addicted Fan

I try to be objective, but sometimes my hatred is *so* big I just can't [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] the team/player I despise.

G
Old 12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
MST Manager

Ok, I'll admit this gladly. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

One team I absolutely despise is the New York Knicks. I will not recognize ANYTHING good about that team. At all. Even if there was something. I will hate them and not give any of the players props for nothing, as long as I live.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Master Fan

Mike Comrie. The kid just pisses me off, but he's really good at hockey. I don't think I despise him because of his ability, he just seems like such a whiny brat.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
<STRONG> I can admit he's the greatest player to have ever played the game and I give him props for that.</STRONG>
Of his time, probably. Of all time? no way.