Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Elite Fan

Celebrations

What are your thoughts on celebrating in sports? Sure, you win the Super Bowl, pump it up. But, you score your second TD of the game, and you pull a Cellphone from under the goalpost(Joe Horn)?

I'm personally all for it. Barnone. To quote one of the biggest showboats around, Terrell Owens "if you don't like the way i celebrate, stop me from scoring" Sometimes It seems over down, but i see nothing wrong with a little Dirty Bird or Icky Shuffle. Let the **** do the Bob-n-weave. I love seeing the Sapp Gutflap dance. IT adds excitement to the game and it may provide incentive for the victims to play harder. Until then, all praise Neon Deion PrimeTime Sanders and his endzone dances.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Elite Fan

Could someone call Joe Horn up and let him know that he's on a 7-7 team, and therefore shouldn't blow his own horn (pun intended). I think Horn, TO and Chad Johnson are all good players - and therefore, they don't need to showboat. I think Rudi Johnson's TD-reaction, flipping the ball to the umpire, is much more classy than Chad Johnson's.

Granted, there's a difference between celebrating and showboating. But Horn definately crossed it, and therefore, the 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was correct. I'd like to see him suspended as well, as a fine doesn't even make a dent in his wallet, and he's expecting a fine as well. (So does Steve Wilstein of the AP, link here.)
Old 12-16-2003, 07:10 PM
New Fan

I think Joe Horn should win an Espy award for the best original celebration of the year, if not for the century.

I'm all for all out celebration on the field. As long as you don't hurt anyone physically, I'm fine with it. As far as emotionally hurt...bohooo...If you can't take it, perhaps you don't belong with the big boys. There's always kiddie league with all the family atmosphere for you to join in.
kid73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hmmm ... tough one. I understand the calling on why they refs stopped *excessive celebration* because it was considered a delay of game at home, yadda yadda yadda.

But then again, as long as it is done in good taste, there's no harm. As long as the celebrations aren't making fun of someone else, let the games roll.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

I like it, especially in football. Makes the game more fun. The end zone dances are the best.

You want professional athletes to show their personality once in a while and be creative. It's good for the game!
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 PM
MST Manager

I don't mind it, as long as it is done in good taste and professionally, as mentioned. Actually, I laugh at it, mostly.

I would reconsider it, however, if I was a player celebrating a touchdown and your team is 30+ points behind.

Heh.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Master Fan

I like celebrations after an amazing play. I hate to be repetitive, but I can live with them as long as they are tasteful. Showboating, I hate.

Drunk Girl
47th & 9th
AuburnGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Master Fan

Like others have said, it’s showboating that I have a problem with. There’s no place for that crap in sports. It’s one thing to celebrate after catching a TD pass, but it’s another to rub it in the other team’s face when the game is out of hand. Joe Horn’s cell phone stunt was total bush league. Has the quality of play in the NFL dropped off so much that players have to resort to using props to create excitement? Uh, no. The game sells itself. It doesn’t need further charades to add to the circus-like atmosphere. Apparently, I’m in the minority on this issue but I don’t see any reason for this type of “celebrating.” If you want that type of entertainment value, go watch a soap opera. My perspective on this issue is the very reason why I was never a fan of Deion Sanders. He was a total hot dog. I’d much rather watch the Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, and Barry Sanders types-- exciting HOF players who simply flipped the ball to the referee after scoring a touchdown.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NikNak:
<STRONG>I don't mind it, as long as it is done in good taste and professionally, as mentioned. Actually, I laugh at it, mostly.

I would reconsider it, however, if I was a player celebrating a touchdown and your team is 30+ points behind.

Heh.</STRONG>
I was watching that game me being a Colts fan and I was laughing at him myself. But seeing as how JH was celebrating for the touchdown in that game I don't care. Sure it was tacky but you know what in order to get the endorsements etc you have to put yourself out there.

I personally found it to be the most entertaining and memorable moment in Week 15 nothing else comes close IMO it goes to show how boring the NFL has become when this is the highlight.
Katiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm all for celebrations, but personally I thought that Joe Horn was trying too hard with his celebration.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Loyal Fan

im not really in favour of celebrations..i find them unnecessary..the game should be entertainment itself, and not resort to players going insane.

amelia~
Old 12-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don`t mind celebrations as long as they don`t show up/disrespect the opponents, isn`t cheesy, and happens when their team is actually leading.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Loyal Fan

What's the famous quote..."Act like you've been there before."
Old 12-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Elite Fan

I like TO's better [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~ Chickie ~:
<STRONG>What's the famous quote..."Act like you've been there before."</STRONG>
Yep. That's what it's ALL about!

There's no need to go overboard and be a complete/borderline tool.