Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 09:38 PM
MST Manager

2003 In Review: The Year In Sports

A year ago, Jack McKeon was sitting on his farm in North Carolina, out of baseball and prospects. Carmelo Anthony was a freshman at Syracuse, known only to college hoops buffs. And Dontrelle Willis was a high-kicking southpaw for the Jupiter Hammerheads of the Class A Florida State League. Fast-forward 12 months. McKeon managed the Marlins to a world championship; Anthony led the Orangemen to the national title and is now a teenage millionaire on the revitalized Nuggets; and Willis went 14-6 while turning Floridians into Marlins fans. What a difference a year makes.

(Sports Illustrated 12/29/03-1/5/04)

So, in your opinion, for all sports in 2003, or let's say, for the sports you watch/follow, what were the highs? The lows? The disappointments? The achievements? The shockers? The surprises?

Let's discuss. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 02:52 AM
Elite Fan

LETS GO YANKEES! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Game 3, BoSox-Yanks... The Brawl, the rivalry, the hatred, the history. Yes, I'm drooling.

Really, that was the highlight of the year for me. Even though we lost the WS, just the tension of the Playoffs, the headaches, the heartbreaks and Aaron's HR, it was all too damn exciting.

Hm... Its 4:51am [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'll think of more and comeback!
Old 12-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Master Fan

Highs: The Cubs winning the NL Central and advancing to the playoffs, the Yankees being denied a WS title, Lance Armstrong winning a record fifth-straight Tour de France, the Lakers being denied a four-peat, LeBron James re-energizing the NBA, and Mark Prior.

Lows: Coaching scandals in college (Eustachy, Price, Neuhiesel, St. Bonaventure, Baylor), BALCO drug scandal, the death of Patrick Dennehy by college teammate Carlton Dotson, the Sammy Sosa corked bat incident, the WUSA folding, Jay Williams’s motorcycle accident, and the media publicizing Steve Bartman's name and place of work and residence.

Disappointments: The Cubs and Red Sox being five outs away from a WS match-up, Kobe Bryant, Team USA baseball failing to qualify for the 2004 Summer Games, Tiger Woods’s play, and the Washington Wizards ousting MJ from his management position.

Surprises: Florida Marlins, David Beckham playing for Real Madrid, Carmelo Anthony leading Syracuse to the NCAA championship, Cincinnati Bengals, the ending of the Fiesta Bowl, and the Dallas Cowboys.

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited Chi159 ]
Old 12-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Highs: Bill Parcells being hired as head coach of the Cowboys, Pete Sampras retiring after winning the US Open a year ago, Andy Roddick winning the US Open, and the Evil Empire losing in the World Series.

Lows: The college coaching scandals, the Baylor basketball tragedy, and the NBA Finals.

Disappoinments: The Braves losing in the NLDS to the Cubs [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img], Alabama`s terrible football season, Tiger`s lackluster year by his standards, Alabama`s basketball team slide toward the end of last season, and MJ being ousted by the Wizards. The Wizards are getting what they deserve with no one coming out to see their crappy ass team.

Surprises: The Cowboys returning to the playoffs [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img], the Cincinnati Bengals, and the Marlins winning the World Series.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

The low was Game 6 of the ALCS when our idiot manager Grady Little left Pedro in there to get shelled when we should've had an easy victory and a spot in the World Series.

The high was the Patriots going 14-2 and securing home field throughout the playoffs.

The stupid person of the year goes to Jason Williams of the Chicago Bulls for probably ruining a promising career by trying to be a badass on a motorcycle.

Funniest visuals of the year were the Pedro-Don Zimmer incident and the pictures of Iowa St. coach Larry Eustachy drinking and hanging out with college chicks.

Funniest interview of the year goes to Joe Namath and Suzy Kolber during the Patriots-Jets game where Namath kept asking Suzy to kiss him.

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited Milt Palacio ]
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Master Fan

I wanna kissssh youuu. Absolute hilarity.

Since I typically only focus on tennis and college football/basketball, my list will probably be brief.

Highlights:
Auburn defeating Tennessee (this is a personal thing for me, now a Tennessean); Pete Sampras retiring; hirings at MSU and UGA for the first African-American head coach/AD---long overdue, imo; Eli Manning NOT winning the Heisman; UNA making it to the NCAA Div II semis after a long absence; Patrick Rafter playing tennis again (ok, so he's not making an ATP comeback, but hey, my Aussie is getting back into the game...I'm thrilled.); the Cubs and Red Sox making it to the MLB playoffs

Disappointments:
Auburn's embarrassing lackluster performance on the football field; coaching scandals; the BS that is the BCS; death of Althea Gibson

Drunk Girl
47th & 9th
AuburnGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Elite Fan

Highlights: Crewe's promotion into D1 and subsequent good play, the Bengals' resurgence under Marv Lewis, Jon Kitna's steady play, the Sens winning the President Trophy.

Disappointments: The Bengals still not reaching the playoffs, the Sens losing to the Devils in the Eastern Conference finals.

Surprises: The Cowboys reaching the playoffs, the Florida Marlins winning the World Series, the play of the Minnesota Wild and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the Stanley Cup finals.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Total Fan

Highs: The Braves winning another division title, the Evil Empire losing the WS, the Titans finishing with a 12-4 record, TN beating Florida, Marcus Giles setting a record for most doubles in a single season hit by a Brave... ect.

Lows: Braves getting knocked out of the playoffs during game five of the NLDS. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Tennessee losing to GA and not getting first in the SEC.. ect.

Disappoinments: Pretty much same as the lows..

Surprises: Marlins winning the WS, Maddux having another 15 game winning season, there being 6 Braves with 20+ HRs.. ect.

[ 12-29-2003: Message edited i heart giles ]
i heart giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Elite Fan

Highs - BEating FSU, AGAIN. Another 4 Canes in the first round, Ed Reed going to the Probowl. DerMarr Johnson recovering from a near-fatale car accident to play ball again. KEllen Winslows Soldier Speech. Pedro throwing down some old man for the Yankmes

Lows - Jan 3rd, a couple bull**** calls and the taking out of Willis McGahee.

Disappointments - Boston losing in the playoffs. My hurricnaes this season.

Surprises - Taylor not winning the Thorpe.