Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2018, 07:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
You've got the crux of the problem with the finale there. It wasn't just Waige breaking up. Having the entire team splitting was adding insult to injury. Part of that, to me, is that the impetus behind BOTH of the break-ups seems implausible. They blew Paige's jealousy up ridiculously when Walter first told her of his Florence dream and they did it again with her reaction to Walter taking Florence to a lecture and Florence saying she had feelings for Walter. As much as I've tried to explain her reactions based on her history of abandonment, etc. it just feels so over the top. Similarly, while I get that the rest of the team gets tired of Walter's bossiness, I don't see where he did anything recently that was above the norm. Those complaints seemed to come out of the blue for me. It's as if instead of trying to round out the series in a good way, the writers were doing their best to destroy everything they've worked on for four years.
In their defense they didn't intend that to be a series finale, but like, they knew the ratings were low. They could have (and imo, should have) either done this split as the midseason finale and then had a chance to fix it, or not done this at all and given a finale that would have satisfied us as a last episode if we didn't get a renewal.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Somehow, the more time that goes by, the more I think they should have seen the writing on the wall.

~Heidi
Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

[QUOTE=WeBuiltThePyramids;96049940]In their defense they didn't intend that to be a series finale, but like, they knew the ratings were low. They could have (and imo, should have) either done this split as the midseason finale and then had a chance to fix it, or not done this at all and given a finale that would have satisfied us as a last episode if we didn't get a renewal.[/QUOTE

Scorpion is not the only show that has totally destroyed what they built over a number of seasons it seems to be a common theme among dramas like I have stated before I just wish I knew what the writers were trying to do. I also wonder if the very strong backlash from the finale from fans on social media played a part in CBS decision they figured the rating were all ready bad and the writers just angered all the Waige fans that ratings for a 5th season would be worse what do you guys think
Old 12-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Somehow, the more time that goes by, the more I think they should have seen the writing on the wall.
Heck, I saw Kat in Chicago in October of the previous year and she kept imploring everyone who didn't watch Scorpion to start because "we want season five and we need you guys to make that happen." Even after three episodes of season four aired, the ratings were on her radar. The writers had to have known, too. But they opted for a hook, a "bring us back and see what we'll do" instead of taking care of their show.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Heck, I saw Kat in Chicago in October of the previous year and she kept imploring everyone who didn't watch Scorpion to start because "we want season five and we need you guys to make that happen." Even after three episodes of season four aired, the ratings were on her radar. The writers had to have known, too. But they opted for a hook, a "bring us back and see what we'll do" instead of taking care of their show.
Which brings us to where we are now a show cancelled not airing in syndication unless you have CBS all access or bought all 4 seasons on DVD you can't watch it. Syndication helps bring in new viewers usually but Scorpion never got that chance sad
Old 12-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

They did try to syndicate it. No one wanted it. I guess it was kinda ahead of its time in a way, or the world just wasn't interested in something that wasn't a procedural crime drama.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Absolute Fan

Scorpion can't be classified into any existing category and TV networks always seem to have difficulty with such shows. They think everyone wants cops shows, or hospital shows, or sitcoms etc, but actually there's a big appetite for something different. They don't seem to understand that though and when they do commission a show that's different they don't know what to do with it. They don't know how to promote it, or schedule it properly (then they couldn't sell it into syndication for those reasons) and that's why so many cult shows (the kind of shows I love) over the years get cancelled. The Waige romance aspect of Scorpion was just one part of it, but viewers who wanted to watch the romance develop would have been put off by the trailers which seemed to focus on the action and/or comedy, particularly in season 4. Similarly, viewers who enjoyed the family dynamic would have been put off by the later timeslot. Fans should run TV companies!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, the executives who make these decisions are very out of touch with how to prolong the lives of their shows. And CBS in particular is fairly old fashioned with the types of hour long shows they heavily promote. Blue Bloods for example, that is classic CBS TV.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Yeah, the executives who make these decisions are very out of touch with how to prolong the lives of their shows. And CBS in particular is fairly old fashioned with the types of hour long shows they heavily promote. Blue Bloods for example, that is classic CBS TV.
Soon I don't think any TV network will exist as it does today the internet is starting to produce it's own shows and hopefully shows like Scorpion will find a home there
Old 12-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yet many of those shows that are so hard to classify they produce controversy in the awards, are exactly the ones that win awards. People don't want shows that are easily pigeon-holed as "drama" or "comedy" or "cops" or "doctors" anymore. They realize that life is both dramatic and funny, and it consists of people from all professions and fields - so shows that present a mix that is more like reality are what people want, but as you say - the networks don't know quite how to produce or market shows like that.

~Heidi
Old 12-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yet many of those shows that are so hard to classify they produce controversy in the awards, are exactly the ones that win awards. People don't want shows that are easily pigeon-holed as "drama" or "comedy" or "cops" or "doctors" anymore. They realize that life is both dramatic and funny, and it consists of people from all professions and fields - so shows that present a mix that is more like reality are what people want, but as you say - the networks don't know quite how to produce or market shows like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie (View Post)
Soon I don't think any TV network will exist as it does today the internet is starting to produce it's own shows and hopefully shows like Scorpion will find a home there
Well, Scorpion finding another home is pretty much out of the question now. Cast and crew have other projects. When shifts to new platforms happen it's almost always within a couple days.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

If Scorpion had gone on a bit longer or gotten more of a following, I could see it eventually getting a reboot. Although, IMO, most of the recent reboots have not been very satisfying.

I wouldn't mind a movie to wrap things up - IF it could be with the original cast and IF it would really address the things that were left dangling.

I know, I ask much.

~Heidi
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
If Scorpion had gone on a bit longer or gotten more of a following, I could see it eventually getting a reboot. Although, IMO, most of the recent reboots have not been very satisfying.

I wouldn't mind a movie to wrap things up - IF it could be with the original cast and IF it would really address the things that were left dangling.

I know, I ask much.
At this point that is all I would asked for I understand the cast at this point would not be unwilling to commit to another 22 episode season and to be honest I do not want to give the writers that much time to drag things out The question is can you fixed everything in a 2 hour movie
Old 12-30-2018, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A lot can be done in a two-hour movie. For one thing, they could start it off when the team and Waige are back together - maybe there are still one or two unresolved issues - and they work those out while also giving flashbacks or just discussing how the other issues were resolved. If they can drag drama out for weeks, they are also capable of summing it up in a short time.

~Heidi
Old 01-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Absolute Fan

I think every TV show that gets cancelled unexpectedly should be given the opportunity to wrap up their storylines in a tv-movie. It would show the networks have some respect for the fans and then I'm sure they would retain more viewers and keep people interested in their new shows if they did that. I've read so many comments from angry Scorpion fans who say they will never watch another TV show again because of what happened.

It would be much better, of course, if networks could organise themselves so that production companies were aware of impending cancellations early enough to enable them to tie up loose ends during their final season! At least that way no one else would be left with a terrible cliffhanger like we were.