Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I agree with not liking Paige bonding with Tim at the expense of her family, though. Sylvester dated, fell in love with, and married a normal without this schism between geniuses and normals being exacerbated, and while Paige and Tim are two normals, her characterization from the start has been someone who may be confused by them, but who wants to love and protect and teach them without being abrasive or condescending or dismissive, and since she's gotten with Tim, it feels different (Hard Knox is the biggest example but ever since that happened the littler things bother me too).
I agree with this 100%. It's not so much that I don't like Tim (although I don't), as much as that I don't like Paige any more and how she has changed since being with Tim. I haven't even watched all the episodes and stopped watching in the middle of some of the others.

There's no such thing as luck only good science and math.
ILoveScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
The 'baby' existed for exactly as long as the knowledge that Walter and Happy were married. We find out literally a minute ater Toby figures out it's Walter, and it ends moments after he gets his citizenship. Which means it served to completely erase any feelings or discussions that Quintis might have had in regards to this. Whie I've always been completely on Happy's side regarding this secret, it'd be unrealistic to believe they had no discussions about it but the writers completely are able to jump over any tension or conversations they might have had over it because it was distracted by the pregnancy, then as soon as the marriage is over, so is the pregnancy, so they don't have to commit the show to a baby, but they also got to avoid having Quintis deal with the marriage thing onscreen. So I feel like it was a lazy cop out.
I agree with this and yet I find that in this particular case I'm okay with it. In my opinion, the Walter/Happy marriage was such an awful storyline to begin with and made Walter and Happy look so foolish (I've already discussed some of this in the Happy thread) that anything that allows us to move on and forget that any of it ever happened is fine with me. While I would have preferred to see the pregnancy and Quintis baby, if the false positive/cadmium poisoning twist gets Happy and Toby back on track, I can live with it.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I agree the storyline was awful to begin with. Back when people were predicting Walter as the husband in May/June, I was like "oh god, that would be the least creative thing they could possibly do." I just don't like lazy plots/lazy plot devices, and since I'm already annoyed at the show doing a love triangle when there are SO MANY more creative ways to keep Waige apart, I think I'm just less tolerant of laziness in general on the show right now.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
See, I actually hate that the pregnancy was nothing more than a plot device. Someone discussed it well on Tumblr but I'll try to explain why here.

The 'baby' existed for exactly as long as the knowledge that Walter and Happy were married. We find out literally a minute ater Toby figures out it's Walter, and it ends moments after he gets his citizenship. Which means it served to completely erase any feelings or discussions that Quintis might have had in regards to this. Whie I've always been completely on Happy's side regarding this secret, it'd be unrealistic to believe they had no discussions about it but the writers completely are able to jump over any tension or conversations they might have had over it because it was distracted by the pregnancy, then as soon as the marriage is over, so is the pregnancy, so they don't have to commit the show to a baby, but they also got to avoid having Quintis deal with the marriage thing onscreen. So I feel like it was a lazy cop out.

I agree with not liking Paige bonding with Tim at the expense of her family, though. Sylvester dated, fell in love with, and married a normal without this schism between geniuses and normals being exacerbated, and while Paige and Tim are two normals, her characterization from the start has been someone who may be confused by them, but who wants to love and protect and teach them without being abrasive or condescending or dismissive, and since she's gotten with Tim, it feels different (Hard Knox is the biggest example but ever since that happened the littler things bother me too).
I didn't mean great as in it gave me a warm fuzzy. I meant as a tool. Maybe lazy, or maybe as a way to expedite things. There is a limited amount of time/real estate to get things done in a hour long tv drama. I feel there will be discussion between Happy and Toby about what they each felt about the baby. Those emotions will affect the characters, without having to deal with the physical presence of a child. It's hard enough to include Ralph. The lingering after affects could be as profound as Megan and Sly.
KatFan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really do hope there is some follow up to the pregnancy story, because if there isn't then it really is the height of lazy writing. I know there isn't a lot of time to deal with the personal / relationship issues since at the core, Scorpion really is supposed to be an action drama, but somewhere in the moments that they devote to this sort of thing I would like for there to be some more discussion between Happy and Toby about their feelings about starting a family. Not that I want them to start trying right away. Maybe something where Happy admits to Toby that she never thought much about having a kid - and if she did it was usually to totally dismiss the idea - but that when she thought she was pregnant, her feelings about it changed. Since she wasn't really pregnant, she can't blame those feelings on hormones. It could be a really interesting - and sweet - discussion.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I really do hope there is some follow up to the pregnancy story, because if there isn't then it really is the height of lazy writing. I know there isn't a lot of time to deal with the personal / relationship issues since at the core, Scorpion really is supposed to be an action drama, but somewhere in the moments that they devote to this sort of thing I would like for there to be some more discussion between Happy and Toby about their feelings about starting a family. Not that I want them to start trying right away. Maybe something where Happy admits to Toby that she never thought much about having a kid - and if she did it was usually to totally dismiss the idea - but that when she thought she was pregnant, her feelings about it changed. Since she wasn't really pregnant, she can't blame those feelings on hormones. It could be a really interesting - and sweet - discussion.
Oooh, yes, that'd be great.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

De-topping this, but feel free to continue the discussion.

~Heidi
Old 11-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I needed a break from the show.
Catching up now.
The end left me crying.
I so badly wanted a Quintis baby
While I thought the pregnancy was lazy writing to begin with, I'm even more disappointed by the laziness of her not being pregnant
Old 11-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, don't worry, you're not alone in that.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I really hope we eventually get some follow-up on that. Like maybe a Quintis discussion about trying again once they are married. Jadyn and Eddie both do such amazing jobs with those sorts of emotion-wrenching scenes - they always leave me wanting more. But sometimes it would be really nice for it to be happy emotions instead of heartbreaking or even bittersweet ones.

~Heidi
Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I really hope we eventually get some follow-up on that. Like maybe a Quintis discussion about trying again once they are married. Jadyn and Eddie both do such amazing jobs with those sorts of emotion-wrenching scenes - they always leave me wanting more. But sometimes it would be really nice for it to be happy emotions instead of heartbreaking or even bittersweet ones.
That'd certainly be nice. Though at this point I'm just grumpy about everything and I'm not hopeful.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I have high hopes for the holiday episode and the second half of the season. Of course, that can be a problem, as I may be highly disappointed.

~Heidi
Reply   Post New Thread