Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Fan

Things get INSANELY CRAZY I love the use of the word bonkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kategrinstead (View Post)
This was the book that sealed my distaste for Frank. I really like that the show is trying to flesh him out more as a character, but the fact he was planning to finally leave Claire and take Brianna with him was just the final straw for me -- even with his death right after that. It just makes my blood boil. Like, seriously?! You're going to take your wife's daughter as your own and take her away from her mother?
I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my last post! The fury I felt after reading this was unbelievable! I was seeing red. How dare Frank think he could leave Claire for one of his mistresses and take Brianna!!! Who the hell does he think he is?!?! The nerve of him to tell Claire that she isn't a suitable mother to her because she isn't home enough. I was mostly indifferent about Frank before this book. but after reading this, just NO.

Quote:
If they do get a third season, I thoroughly expect Sam and Cait to slay it, as you've mentioned. One of those epic moments where time will seem to cease ...
While the book version didn't move me to tears, I have a feeling that if the show makes it to its 3rd season I will be bawling at this scene. I really hope that we get to see RDM's interpretation of this moment. And of course, Sam & Cait's stellar performance.

Quote:
That's why I keep reading, I think. Even though I don't always care for Gabaldon's writing style, she navigates complicated plot structure across books that both manages to surprise me like very little else I've read AND doesn't seem as incredibly far-fetched to which a series about time-traveling through stone circles should lend itself.
I agree. Gabaldon continues to surprise me with every book. I start thinking of what I think might happen next and BOOM! A twist I could not have seen coming!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Addicted Fan

BONKERS!

Anyway ...
Old 12-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather8615 (View Post)
I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my last post! The fury I felt after reading this was unbelievable! I was seeing red. How dare Frank think he could leave Claire for one of his mistresses and take Brianna!!! Who the hell does he think he is?!?! The nerve of him to tell Claire that she isn't a suitable mother to her because she isn't home enough. I was mostly indifferent about Frank before this book. but after reading this, just NO.
So glad you mentioned this! I couldn't believe it and didn't see it coming!!! I never made the connection with Book #1 that he might have been concealing an affair. yes, I was naive when I read it. :sheesh:

Since they have shown Frank in a far more positive light on the show, I have no idea if they are going to maintain this storyline. Viewers are gonna see red.

Quote:
While the book version didn't move me to tears, I have a feeling that if the show makes it to its 3rd season I will be bawling at this scene. I really hope that we get to see RDM's interpretation of this moment. And of course, Sam & Cait's stellar performance.
I may not have been crying, but I really liked this book and oh, my word, Sam and Cait will have us weeping during their reunion and convo while looking at photos of Brianna. Some of my favorite book quotes are from this book...gosh, I can't wait.

Quote:
Gabaldon continues to surprise me with every book. I start thinking of what I think might happen next and BOOM! A twist I could not have seen coming!
EXACTLY!! From the introduction of new characters to an old friend returning, it still manage to keep me on my toes. Plus Jamie and Claire's relationship progresses in such a real way that it's never boring and maintains a fresh feel to them.

How long do we have to wait to view this book on STARZ? 3 more years.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

good tv makes me happy — Required reading. Entertainment Weekly archive.

Last edited by CityGal; 12-19-2014 at 08:44 PM
Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think Frank always gets the short end of the stick here (the situation , not this board) . First his wife goes missing and I'm sure the police breathed down his neck for a while , he tries to move on only to have her come back after 3 years , pregnant by somebody else, somebody Claire claims to have loved and married . For whatever reason both, Claire and Frank, decide to stay married but at that point Claire had emotionally checked out of that marriage , they're physically together but emotionally Claire has divorced him . To be blunt , Frank tries to be married to someone who's emotionally cheating on him 24/7, so he's looking for that emotional component somewhere else and maybe subconsciously trying to hurt her in return . It's a toxic situation and they should have filed for divorce years ago .
Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Regardless of how Frank is treated I actually love his character, that's why I agree with what your saying. He does get the short end of the stick and its a shame. Frank was first after all.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Master Fan

I finished Voyager last night!
Crazy! Insane! Bonkers! These are all accurate descriptors of the book!

While Claire/Jamie & co were literally getting beaten over the head with one disaster or crazy happening - it made me feel as if I was! Goodness all the crazy!

Claire killed Geillis! With an ax?! Jamie was shot in the head! But they got Ian!!! Then they were rescued by the band of smugglers but the Porpoise (Man of War ship) was after them...but not before they blew up some escaped slaves! Then the hurricane!! The porpoise sinking! but somehow their little ship made it...how they survived for days ?!? and then Land HO! but wait - one more wallop of disaster! Claire almost drowning, or bleeding to death (as she pictured) but alas it was just the ships mast that broke (?) and took her overboard with. She has a broken tibia but she's alive...miraculously! Jamie by her side...and where are they!? In Georgia!? The New World! America!

I had a feeling they were going to end up in America from a previous discussion they had in the book. But I had no idea it would come about they way it did. Goodness Diana Gabaldon didn't really give her characters much of a break toward the end did she?!

I have no idea what Drums of Autumn is about - I haven't even read the summary or anything. That goes for all of the rest of the books too. I do kind of feel like I could use a break from this crazy world of Outlander (and I had already taken a break before I started Voyager!) Why are these books so flipping long!?

It will be a long time before we see any of the crazy events of the end of Voyager on screen. But there is going to be a lot of special effects they'll have to have I imagine, especially with the hurricane.

I find that it was interesting that this book started out with Jamie thinking he was dead, and ended with Claire thinking she was dead.

In regards to Frank:
I was also kind of indifferent to Frank, like Heather. Book!Frank was kind of boring in my opinion. Show!Frank is more likale that is sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky7.7 (View Post)
I think Frank always gets the short end of the stick here (the situation , not this board) . First his wife goes missing and I'm sure the police breathed down his neck for a while , he tries to move on only to have her come back after 3 years , pregnant by somebody else, somebody Claire claims to have loved and married . For whatever reason both, Claire and Frank, decide to stay married but at that point Claire had emotionally checked out of that marriage , they're physically together but emotionally Claire has divorced him . To be blunt , Frank tries to be married to someone who's emotionally cheating on him 24/7, so he's looking for that emotional component somewhere else and maybe subconsciously trying to hurt her in return . It's a toxic situation and they should have filed for divorce years ago .
This is true! It was a bad situation, to put it mildly. When she returned, they did not love each other. They should have gotten divorced.

I'm positive I have more thoughts on this book. I'm sure this was a bit ramble-ish and perhaps heavy on rambles about the end of the book. Perhaps I will have time to post more later.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Fan

15646876 years later I'm responding to the posts here.... Sorry!!!

CityGal, I agree with you, Show!Frank is much more likable than book Frank. I really felt for his character during episode 8. Which is something that didn't happen when I read the book. I also wonder what the writers will do with the circumstances surrounding his death.

I don't exactly blame Frank for having multiple affairs after Claire returned through the stones. Frank did the honorable thing and stayed with Claire when she returned knowing everything that he knew. Claire couldn't love him the way that she did before Jamie happened and Frank sought comfort elsewhere. I don't condone cheating, but I understood his reasonings, as did Claire. I honestly didn't even care that Frank wanted to run off with one of his mistresses, what made me absolutely furious was the fact that he thought he could take Bree with him. He may be the only father Bree ever knew but Claire is her MOTHER. How dare you try to take away her daughter to live with you and your mistress!!!! In another freaking country?!?! NO WAY, not in a million years. It just makes me so mad!!

Anyway... 3 years is such a long time to wait!!!! (Gosh these last few months waiting for the second half of season 1 have been torturous enough!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_shiningstar (View Post)
While Claire/Jamie & co were literally getting beaten over the head with one disaster or crazy happening - it made me feel as if I was! Goodness all the crazy!

Claire killed Geillis! With an ax?! Jamie was shot in the head! But they got Ian!!! Then they were rescued by the band of smugglers but the Porpoise (Man of War ship) was after them...but not before they blew up some escaped slaves! Then the hurricane!! The porpoise sinking! but somehow their little ship made it...how they survived for days ?!? and then Land HO! but wait - one more wallop of disaster! Claire almost drowning, or bleeding to death (as she pictured) but alas it was just the ships mast that broke (?) and took her overboard with. She has a broken tibia but she's alive...miraculously! Jamie by her side...and where are they!? In Georgia!? The New World! America!
The whole Geillis SL at the end was utter craziness!!! I reread the ending of the book so many times and I still don't think I fully understand what happened! (This is a common occurrence with me So much happens in these books, my brain just can't wrap itself around it all!)

Quote:
Why are these books so flipping long!?
Seriously!! And they just keep getting longer!!! I'm reading The Fiery Cross right now and it's nearly 1,000 pages!!!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Master Fan

How do you read the books in the amount of time you have from the library Heather? You are reading library books correct?

I am not sure what I am going to do since my copy of Drums in Autumn is due tomorrow!?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Fan

Yes I'm reading books I checked out from the library. If I don't finish by the due date, I usually just renew the hold. Many of the later books in the series have hardly any hold on them at my library. I also might keep the book a little past the due date if I'm close to finishing. I'm such a rebel.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_shiningstar (View Post)
How do you read the books in the amount of time you have from the library Heather? You are reading library books correct?

I am not sure what I am going to do since my copy of Drums in Autumn is due tomorrow!?
Did you renew?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Master Fan

No. I couldn't b/c someone is on the waiting list. I'm currently holding the book hostage... The overdue fine is 10 cents a day...so far its probably up to a $1.00 or so...I do have an audio version I'm also listening to on loan from neighboring county library. The download if it will expire in like 5 days. I'm much farther into the book, but still have more to go...I think I'm like 580 pages in...but my copy is 880 pages!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^"holding it hostage" I like the way you phrased that.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

How long did it take yawl to read this one?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Master Fan

Please can I be add

-Lisa-