Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-04-2015, 05:57 PM
New Fan

Time From End of Filming to Broadcast?

Hello D's- Anyone have any idea how long it takes from the time an episode has been filmed, edited, mixed, overdubbed, etc... to when it is broadcast? Patrick Stewart said something to the effect that his "Blunt Talk" series on SHO was "the craziest 7 weeks of my life". I'm just curious-- is the whole season "in the can" by the time we see the first one? It would be interesting to know how long our favorite characters are actually in front of the cameras. The P.D. Demimonde have spies everywhere, and I'm sure we all thirst for knowledge about all aspects of the show, as I do.

PS The BBC/SKY kicks ass, I just watched the first episode of "Ripper Street" on DVD. You very rarely, if ever, get adult oriented entertainment such as that sourced from the US broadcast network studio system. RJM
Old 10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

Depending on the start time for shooting and how many episodes there are, determines whether or not filming et al is done before the season premiere. First season was all edited and ready before it aired the first episode in 2014. Not so Season 2. Principal photography there wrapped on March 17, 2015, so there were still a lot of editing, etc. going on when the first episode aired in May. Each episode takes about three weeks to complete. Currently they are shooting the first three episodes simultaneously to accommodate the schedules of the actors and availability of locations. Filming for those will continue into the new year, about a third of the nine episode season.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:37 PM
New Fan

So, Basically 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlocked (View Post)
Depending on the start time for shooting and how many episodes there are, determines whether or not filming et al is done before the season premiere. First season was all edited and ready before it aired the first episode in 2014. Not so Season 2. Principal photography there wrapped on March 17, 2015, so there were still a lot of editing, etc. going on when the first episode aired in May. Each episode takes about three weeks to complete. Currently they are shooting the first three episodes simultaneously to accommodate the schedules of the actors and availability of locations. Filming for those will continue into the new year, about a third of the nine episode season.
Dreadlocked, Thanks. So, filming could be ongoing as late as March of 2016. I find bits of info such as that intriguing, I can tell you being a fan of Strike Back, the leaked set photo dates show that the final season's prinicipal photgraphy was done WELL before the season began. Roughly 3 weeks to complete a P.D. episode, if that means ready to braodcast, that is amazing--I'm guessing the 3 weeks is only to finsih photography and any needed vocal overdubs. I wondered if they would run into problems with the popularity of a lot of the cast, as much as they may like it, I'm guessing they make more $$ on other projects. Hopefully, Eva, Josh et al love making it as much as we love watching it. Thanks for the inside info. RJM