Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Added
Old 06-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Orange Is the New Black's Yael Stone on Binge-Watching, Podcasts and That Accent

Specs
Name Yael Stone
Age 30
Accomplishments Stars as Lorna Morello on Orange Is the New Black (Season 3 streaming Friday on Netflix)
Base New York

Adweek: What's the first information you consume in the morning?
Stone: I actually had a resolution this year that I was going to reach for my phone less, and I haven't done that. [Laughs] The first thing I do is check for news from home. I'm Australian, so my family is awake when I'm asleep, and I tend to get some lovely, sweet messages from them. When my dad's in a sentimental mood, he'll go through and scan old photos and send them to me.

Tell us about your social media habits.
I'm on Twitter and Instagram. I really resisted [social media] at first, but I was convinced by somebody who works for Netflix that it was an important way to be able to interact with people who love the show. And when I thought about it, I realized, "Well, without the people who watch the show, there is no show." It is a really nice way to be able to connect with people.

Everyone in the OITNB cast seems really supportive of one another on social media, too.
Actually, you saying that just reminded me that I have to post the Essence and the Rolling Stone covers [which recently featured fellow actresses from the show], both of which are just so ridiculously hot that I can't really even believe it. But it's true, all of us are so supportive of each other. I love everyone's presence online. Like Dascha [Polanco], for example, has such a great way of being herself [on social media]. Her hashtags are so funny. I'm just like, "How the **** did she come up with that?" [Laughs]

Who do you follow, other than your cast mates?
The Fat Jew always makes me laugh a lot. There are some pretty incredible yoga folks that I follow, as well, because it fills me with joy to see people twist themselves into amazing pretzels. Yancy Scot Schwartz, who is actually a friend of mine from New York, is amazing. He kind of combines yoga, skating and philosophy. And he also has a big interest in aliens. Yeah, he's pretty awesome.

What's your favorite app?
Do podcast apps count? I love podcasts! The first one that I like to listen to, which I guess is sort of unusual, is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. He's this awesome guy who doesn't like to be described as a historian—but let's be honest, he's a historian—and he talks you through major events and narrates them in this incredibly impassioned way. I just find it totally and utterly compelling. The podcast I look forward to the most every week is Dan Savage's Lovecast. My other favorite is On the Media. Of course there's also This American Life, and I like their newest one, Death, Sex & Money.

What do you watch on TV?
I have to be honest with you, my husband and I don't have a TV. We just stream things. At the moment, I'm on a Sopranos thing. I was a bit late to that, and we've spent the last few months catching up. It's just so good. I also love House of Cards. In my guilty moments, I will stream Ren & Stimpy. Oh, and I really like Louie. I came to that a little late, too, so I would watch episodes back to back and ultimately felt like I totally knew Louis C.K., even though I absolutely don't. When I was at the Emmys, he kind of wandered past, and I was like, "Oh, there's my really good friend Louis C.K." [Laughs.] He's not my friend! I don't know him at all!

What's your stance on binge-watching?
I like to spread episodes out. I get a little weird; I get brain fried. Even if I want to watch more than, say, two episodes, I know to resist it because, ultimately, I can never remember what the heck happened. There is often a lengthy negotiation between me and my husband about whether we're going to watch another episode. He's often on the side of watching one more, and I am often arguing against it.

Your character Lorna on OITNB has such a great accent. Were there any shows or movies you used as inspiration for that?
There was definitely some wandering around the Internet but no shows that really jump to mind. But now that I'm watching The Sopranos, hearing Adriana constantly talking to her boyfriend "Christopher," it's crazy. I had never watched the show, and yet I pretty much have the same sound as her.

What's on your reading list?
I'm reading this beautiful book called Some Day by Shemi Zarhin. My friend who sent it to me described it as kind of a "Six Feet Under feel," and I think that's really accurate. The first section of the book is set in Israel in the 1960s, and my parents were actually living in Israel at that time. So, reading the book feels like going back in time with them.
Q&A With Orange Is the New Black's Yael Stone | Adweek
Old 06-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great article I could hear Morello's voice in my head!

Spoiler:
Old 06-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the link. Her real accent is the cutest.
a meaningful, sane existence
Old 06-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really like her accent

Some things never change Tania!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Poor guy!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope he can live now happily!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope she moves on!!!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think she will
Old 06-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ugh it's getting out of hands.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane (View Post)
Add me please. She is just so adorable. That accent.
I never thought the accent would be so hawt
Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Her accent is very endearing, I thought it'd get old but it doesn't. still cute.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's cause she's so nice to
Old 06-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Australians united!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:12 PM
Addicted Fan

She's australian?!?! I'm baffled!! Her accent on the show looks so real. How is this possible? There are really some amazing actors out there.

Morello is so cute, even if a nutcase. I love her.