Moderator of ...
Reign

Reign 4.4 "Playing with Fire" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
Playing with Fire
Season 4 Episode 4

Air Date CW: Friday, March 3 at 9/8c

MARY MUST DECIDE IF SHE CAN TRUST LORD DARNLEY
When Lord Darnley surprises Mary with a visit in Scotland, Mary sees a glimmer of a union that could be more than just political. Elizabeth fights to gain allies in her favor and Catherine must work to get Claude back on track by finding her a new husband.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-23-2017 at 07:58 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Master Fan

Spoiler:

I haven't watched yet...so I don't know hiw accurate this is.

ETA:

Spoiler:

Last edited by NotDoneAbusingYou; 03-03-2017 at 03:12 AM
NotDoneAbusingYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:52 AM
Master Fan

For such a packed episode it wasn't too exciting because a lot was given away.

THERE ARE SPOILERS FROM HERE SO STOP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THEM:

Spoiler:

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-03-2017 at 05:42 AM Reason: Adding Spoiler Tags
drunkalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Alice, I put your post under spoiler tags, just to be safe.

I may know pretty much everything that happens in this episode, but I am BEYOND excited to watch it tonight!

Spoiler:

I will have to officially react to everything after I watch it live tonight. Enjoy the episode, my lovelies.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

Loooved it!!! I have a comment for everything so I'll refrain till it airs tonight but a few thoughts:

Spoiler:
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Spoiler:
Old 03-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

I want to comment so much but I will wait until I can do it without using spoilers
De Medici Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Master Fan

Live cast tweet still happening thanks to Torrance Coombs.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Ok, if I hadn't been spoiled like crazy, this episode would have destroyed me.

France
- Leeza trying to send Claude to the nunnery. Interesting that she is so jealous of Claude's relationship Catherine. She simply has to go.
- Luc seems genuinely kind and charming! I love how he "rescued" Claude from Leeza and her awful comments, and wisked her off for their first dance as husband and wife. I'm praying this isn't all an act and that he really wants to protect Claude and make her happy. that he's nothing like his father.
- Reign gave us another lovely wedding. Claude's dress was stunning (and so perfect for her!), and the music was really beautiful.
- Catcisse dancing!!!! Enough said.
- Charles, WHAT THE HELL?!!!! I know you're sick and in pain, but how DARE you lay your hands on your own mother!!! Pushing Catherine de Medici against a wall? May God have mercy on your soul.
- LEITH IS ALIVE!!!!!! There were times I doubted we would see his face again, but deep down, I JUST KNEW IT. These writers are incredibly cruel, bringing him back only to tear him away from Claude again. He was too late. Really curious how this is all going to end... and how much of Leith we are actually going to see the rest of the season. For now, I'm just thrilled my baby is ALIVE.
- Ugh, Narcisse. I was hoping he was changing for the better, but seeing him throw poor Leith in prison... He seems as selfish as ever. Why Stephane? WHY?! At least he didn't kill Leith right away.

Scotland
- The scene where Greer and Mary try to throw blueberries into each other's mouths. So CUTE.
- I agree with everything that's been said about the scene of Mary running with her dog in the fields. It is PURE LOVE. Visually stunning.
- I wanted to hate Darnley. I really did. But he's such a lovable rougue! He's really handsome, and I did feel the spark of chemistry between him and Mary. (It's different enough from Frary's chemistry for me to be ok with that. ) I loved their first meeting and the golfing. At least Darnley was honest about his ambitions. OF COURSE he would start a fire just to get attention and be the hero. Oy. This is going to be fun.
- Love that at least Greer mentioned Francis' name to Mary. It's so heartbreaking that Mary has to marry for politics this time. Greer knows her friend so well. She knows it won't be enough for Mary.
- YES, James should be shirtless in every episode. That should be a rule
- Is James playing Lady Knox, or is it the other way around? If it was all part of a plan and she meant for him to find those documents... YIKES.
- I definitely saw Greer's marital problems coming. I can't deny it, though... I really want James/Greer to happen. I loved their moments in this episode. I just feel terrible for poor Castleroy. I can't stand the thought of Greer having ANOTHER affair while she is still married to him. But, apparently he's not the same man she married.

England
- Gideon did seem a bit disrepectful to Elizabeth, but I understand his resentment. He can't blame Lizzy for what is happening to his daughter, though. Poor Agatha.
- I was really proud of Elizabeth - hunting and winning over the Catholic nobles. She was awesome. I was glad she didn't go with the "kill them all" option.

HEY GUYS... Please vote in the Mary Survivor that's topped and in the Frary Song Survivor in the Frary thread. New rounds are up.

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-04-2017 at 10:47 AM
Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Part-Time Fan

The cast live tweeting seriously is the best. They are all so much fun and it's always awesome to see them all hanging out, having fun, and interacting with the fans.

I keep saying it but I'm really enjoying all three courts. This was my favorite episode so far.

French Court-
-

I wonder how this whole situation with Catherine's "Mutant Spanish daughter" is going to play out . She seems so hell bent on punishing her entire family for Catherine's poor treatment of her. It continually irks me how Catherine is always made to me this evil mother, and while she admits her faults as a parent, at the end of the day all this woman has ever done is fight like mad to save her family from a world that is continuously trying to end them.

I can't wait to see how this situation evolves...clearly something has to give with Leeza dictating to everyone.

The Royal Wedding -- I so LOVE Reign weddings. They are always so fun and pretty with awesome music and this one didn't disappoint. Claude's dress was gorgeous, she really was a beautiful bride I want to like Luc...but we all know how this show works and there's no way he's as nice as he seems. I'm curious if Catherine and Mary will have yet another thing in common by the end of the series -- each killing one of Narcisse's sons?

Which brings me to Narcisse. JUST when I start to love him again...and how awesome was that dance with Catherine at the wedding? He has revert back to his roots of being a complete bastard. Clearly, Lola's death had no effect. Poor poor Leith. I figured once Claude got married Leith would magically appear (since again no couple can be happy on this show.) I wouldn't be surprised if there are other deals made behind Catherine's back with Leeza knowing Narcisse.

I'm not even sure what to say about Charles, he's on the permanent crazy train. He's just going to get worse at worse. It was horrible seeing him hurt his mother like that. So terrible, very glad Catherine was ok.

Scotland

Favorite scene was the montage of Mary running carefree through the fields with her dog.

Quote:
- I wanted to hate Darnley. I really did. But he's such a lovable rougue! He's really handsome, and I did feel the spark of chemistry between him and Mary. (It's different enough from Frary's chemistry for me to be ok with that. ) I loved their first meeting and the golfing. At least Darnley was honest about his ambitions. OF COURSE he would start a fire just to get attention and be the hero. Oy. This is going to be fun.
I was really looking forward to Mary and Darnley meeting...he's a character that we know historically is so so evil and I really was curious what Reign would do with him. Will was right, this is going to be so much different than Frary which is great. I liked all of their scenes, they have a fun sort of sexy chemistry that is different than we've seen previously.

The golf game was fun! I liked that they put that in there since historically Mary was a really good golfer.

I liked how they were both checking each other out, both clearly attracted to the other...but then Mary's hope of actual love came crashing down as soon as he mentioned "the crown matrimonial." I think this is going to be a huge point of contention with these two which is only going to be made worse when he finds out what is mother did with ending his relationship with Keira. Where Frary was an epic love story, I definitely see Mary/Darnley as a combustive love/hate.

Poor Greer, I figured we probably wouldn't see Castleroy again but I really hope we get to see this adorable baby girl of hers soon. Love babies!

James is so hot...hopefully it's in his contract that he has to spend at least half the season shirtless. I hope his relationship with Greer evolves depending on what happens with Castleroy, the Mrs. Knox thing isn't going to end well.

England
I was surprised that Elizabeth was so heartless when it came to Agatha's illness at first but I loved that in the end when she realized the severity of it, she changed her tune. Gideon and Elizabeth have such a great...friendship? I think might be the word now. It's interesting how she know he loves Mary but still trusts him above all.

Her hunting outfit was killer! Loved her showing up those arrogant nobles.

Last edited by Scottish_Queen; 03-04-2017 at 09:48 AM
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Queen (View Post)
It continually irks me how Catherine is always made to me this evil mother, and while she admits her faults as a parent, at the end of the day all this woman has ever done is fight like mad to save her family from a world that is continuously trying to end them.
Ugh, this really irks me, too. It makes me think of her line in the promo - "I have birthed monsters." Thank GOD she at least seems to have Claude's support right now.

Quote:
I want to like Luc...but we all know how this show works and there's no way he's as nice as he seems. I'm curious if Catherine and Mary will have yet another thing in common by the end of the series -- each killing one of Narcisse's sons?
I know... it's Reign. No one is exactly as they appear. I shouldn't trust Luc, but I want to. I can't help but hope that if/when he finds out what his father did to Leith, he will want to make things right. I'm dreaming. At least we got that touching moment between Catherine and Claude, with Catherine vowing to get rid of Luc if he laid a hand on her. Maybe she will have to make good on that promise....

Quote:
I liked how they were both checking each other out, both clearly attracted to the other...but then Mary's hope of actual love came crashing down as soon as he mentioned "the crown matrimonial." I think this is going to be a huge point of contention with these two which is only going to be made worse when he finds out what is mother did with ending his relationship with Keira. Where Frary was an epic love story, I definitely see Mary/Darnley as a combustive love/hate.
The attraction is certainly there. Mary really wants to believe there can be something real between them. I hated seeing her hopes dashed like that. Ugh, the crown matrimonial. That will definitely be an issue. Darnley accepted her terms for now, but he was not satisfied. I don't even want to think about what will happen when he and/or Mary find out what Lady Lennox did to separate him from Keira. Mary will be caught in the middle of that, for sure. Their love story is definitely different from Frary's, and I think that is a good thing.

I really hope we get to see Greer's baby, Rose, too!

Quote:
I was surprised that Elizabeth was so heartless when it came to Agatha's illness at first but I loved that in the end when she realized the severity of it, she changed her tune. Gideon and Elizabeth have such a great...friendship? I think might be the word now. It's interesting how she know he loves Mary but still trusts him above all.
It was nice to see Elizabeth's attitude change when she realized the severity of Agatha's illness. She really wanted to help in the end. I really hope the girl is going to be alright.

Gideon and Elizabeth certainly have an interesting dynamic. I like that she has someone she trusts that much. I guess you can call Gideon her friend. It makes me wonder... are we going to see any romance for Lizzy this season at all? It doesn't seem like Dudley is returning...

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-04-2017 at 01:27 PM
Old 03-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Master Fan

That is all
Old 03-04-2017, 02:09 PM
New Fan

who do you guys think mary's loyal watchman is. My money and hope is James. Just his way of telling her to watch out with darnley in a way that does not have her think he is only against the marriage due to him being catholic.
yosefcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
who do you guys think mary's loyal watchman is. My money and hope is James. Just his way of telling her to watch out with darnley in a way that does not have her think he is only against the marriage due to him being catholic.
James did seem to notice, but I don't know, wouldn't he tell Mary in person? I think it might be Bash, being heard before he inevitably reappears.

Spoiler:

Anyways, James is historically supposed to turn against Mary about that very marriage, so he's definitely a possibility.

Quote:
I wanted to hate Darnley. I really did. But he's such a lovable rougue! He's really handsome, and I did feel the spark of chemistry between him and Mary.
I know. He has this air of sass about him and is just plain charming and brutally honest. I'm afraid it's going to escalate but let's just enjoy him for now.

Quote:
Gideon and Elizabeth have such a great...friendship? I think might be the word now.
I guess so, yes. It's sort of unlikely but it's growing slow and steady. I hope they do become friends not just because they need each other but also because it's the only scenario where I can appreciate his being so rude.

Quote:
It makes me wonder... are we going to see any romance for Lizzy this season at all? It doesn't seem like Dudley is returning...
I'd love to see Dudley again but I don't see it happening the narrative seems to be relying on Elizabeth winning the political game by sacrificing her personal happiness.

Quote:
I can't stand the thought of Greer having ANOTHER affair while she is still married to him.
They might as well have killed him off tbh.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosefcoleman (View Post)
Rizzio.