Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Master Fan

Reign 4.14 "A Bride, A Box, A Body" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
A Bride, A Box, A Body
Season 4 Episode 14

Air Date CW: Friday, June 2nd at 9/8c

MARY SETS OUT FOR REVENGE AND JUSTICE – Mary (Adelaide Kane) pursues her quest for justice as she launches a counter attack on her conspirators. Elizabeth (Rachel Skarsten) suffers a major setback that turns her world upside down.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by kerbear28; 06-08-2017 at 02:50 PM
NotDoneAbusingYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Master Fan

A little S4 recap before the last three episodes.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Thanks for opening the thread, Amanda. And for the vid. It's amazing. Such a great recap of Season 4.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:51 AM
Master Fan

That episode was a giant pile of poop. Worst episode all season. I'm just angry about everything.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:25 AM
New Fan

I can't believe we had to wait 2 weeks for that nonsense 😡 I did enjoy the Henri character development I was hoping they would show his alleged cross dressing/ sleeping with men at some point. He is becoming an interesting character and I wish we had more time with him.

The rest of it was just terrible. I think Narcisse has finally lost me. Wasn't it just last week that he decided to let go of his Lola grief and be loved by Catherine?! He's just the worst! Why so much England?? I understand that they were setting up Narcisses revenge story but I hated seeing so much time spent on a story that really hasn't grabbed me.

Megan, as always did magnificently with the material she was given.
Opheliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

They built up at the end of episode 13 that she was fighting for her castle back, how Bothwell had gathered loads of clans... there was barely an 'army' behind Mary and the next shot she had it back? Then the next scene MONTHS had passed? What the hell?

The only good bit in this episode was Narcisse torturing Nox I don't like that he killed Gideon though.

NGL either, Gideon dying broke my heart. I wouldn't have wanted to leave him there either.

I'm getting whiplash from Claude and her husband. One moment he says he's had enough and that it's over. They dance and he says he still likes her and wants to be close to her? Argh. It is so frustrating.

Mary's mind changes like most women change their clothes.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

Love the video Amanda!

I liked the episode personally.

Spoiler:
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

The jumo at the beginning was awkward and they gearef us up for a fight then didnt show anything. That was stupid.

Catherine was poorly used as a side character that had nothing to do but stand there and look pretty.

Narcisse disgusts me. He got rid if a character I hate and tortured another character I hate and still somehow came off looking like tve worst person ever. Gideon didn't deserve to go out like that. He should have died a hero or at least if he were going to be murdered that Duke should have been the one to do it. And showing Mary Knox's package was unecessary. Eeew. Telling her wasn't good enough? Yuck dude. And leaving him alive was probably a bab idea. Now he's gonna want revenge too. WTF.

Darnley being crazy was a disappointment as well.

And Mary's stupidity is showing...telling Bothwell she wants to be with him then saying she wants to fix things with Darnley. Hasn't she learned toying with a man's emotions never ends well...cough Conde cough....

And Narcisse us ready to move on in one episode and then he's back to spouting his love dor Lola? I'm so iver Catcisse now. That was the nail in the coffin.

Only a few good little details:

Catherine ensuring Narcisse would not let his plotting track back to Mary [which I actually think it will end up doing sadly]

Luc telling Claude 'give your mother my love'

And Historically accurate Henri
Old 06-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Gideon! Elizabeth and Gideon were such perfection!

What did you do Stephane! Can I ever forgive him?

How did Darnley go insane?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Master Fan

This episode left me scratching my head and I'm afraid whatever happens from now on is bound to be disappointing. Like, if was so meh to me that Darnley turning out mad was the best thing about it as far as I'm concerned, probably because the actor proved so good.

- Narcisse acknowledged that Elizabeth had no choice but to kill Lola before he even went back to France. They even became sort of buddies, in what I consider to be the most intriguing relationship Elizabeth's ever had on the show (very cool that it was also platonic). He then came back home and mourned his wife for about three episodes and all but forgot about her until last week. That's both a rewrite and a plot hole, and I can't see how this can be fixed in two episodes. I don't want him anywhere near Catherine anymore, and that's coming from a shipper of the first hour.

- Reign isn't Game of Thrones, so the John Knox twist is ridiculous apart from being disgusting.

- The fact that Gideon had to die so that Narcisse could have his vendetta confirms that Gideon has been nothing but a plot device the whole time. He was paired up with whichever queen was more convenient and then he died for whichever one was more convenient. I'm no fan of Gideon and I never missed a chance to say it, but that doesn't make his death right nor necessary to me. Whatever the flaws in the writing, he was a good man and Narcisse killed him because he suddenly changed his mind about his wife's execution one episode ago. Is this suppose to carry any emotional weight? Were there any stakes for anyone? This vengeance plot was abrupt and poorly constructed. Ultimately, it only makes Narcisse look lunatic.

- Practically no Catherine. You just don't make an episode with practically no Catherine.

- Henry has been around for half a season but his passion for cross dressing is only addressed now. I mean it's sure better late than never but he's been so underdeveloped so far it would have been nice to know something more about him a little earlier.

- Still not sold on the Mary/Bothwell romance and still unsure if that's intentional or it's supposed to look like some epic love story. She loves him. Why? She's known him for about five minutes. Their supposed sexual tension doesn't convince me. I feel no forbidden love vibe. Nothing. I'm lowkey hoping he turns out to be unhealthily obsessed with her because otherwise the character just bores me.

- Elizabeth is now essentially Mary 2.0 so thanks for ruining one of my favourite historical women, show.

- How was Mary thinking to get rid of her marriage and be with Bothwell, exactly?

- The Claude/Luc drama is getting old.

IDK, so far I expect to roll my eyes at most things set to happen in the final episodes, especially considering who's returning.

I hope I haven't ruined anyone's mood.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I thought for a moment Henri was secretly gay. But he just likes to crossdress?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Master Fan

Alice-

Narcisse never forgot Lola. Just because it wasn't mentioned constantly means nothing. He was still pining over her and mourning her loss, tbat has always been blatantly clear.

I was fine with what he did to Knox until he felt the need to share witj Mary. So unecessary.

I don't think he ever changed his mind, as he said he was just waiting. But I agrer about Gideon being a plot device.

Agree about Catherine

Henry has nit been around for half the season. Hes only been here for 4 episodes. 3 really, since that firat one he was in was only one scene at the end.

Agree about Mary/Bothwell

Elizabeth was already ruined a long time ago IMO

There is only one way to get rid of your husband and be with someone else.

Agree about Claude/Luc

Who is returning?

My mood was already ruined by the episode
Old 06-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

I'm still letting it all sink in. There were certainly things that annoyed me about the episode, but...overall I didn't hate it.

MARY

I agree that the opening build up for a "battle" for Mary to take back the castle was pretty stupid and disappointing. On the other hand, it was kind of great seeing Mary in her tartan ready to fight. It was also awesome to see Ruthven get his - and to see Mary get a little justice for Rizzio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkalice (View Post)
Still not sold on the Mary/Bothwell romance and still unsure if that's intentional or it's supposed to look like some epic love story. She loves him. Why? She's known him for about five minutes. Their supposed sexual tension doesn't convince me. I feel no forbidden love vibe. Nothing. I'm lowkey hoping he turns out to be unhealthily obsessed with her because otherwise the character just bores me.
Agreed. I'm just not feeling it. Part of me wants to ship it (or at least I feel like I should ship it), but I just don't... I have to force myself not to roll my eyes when they are on screen. If Bothwell was just unhealthily obsessed with her, that would be a lot more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
And Mary's stupidity is showing...telling Bothwell she wants to be with him then saying she wants to fix things with Darnley. Hasn't she learned toying with a man's emotions never ends well...cough Conde cough....
Exactly! OH, Mary. Part of me understands why Narcisse's atrocities would make her want to end the cycle of bitterness and violence. But exactly how was she planning on being with Bothwell "no matter what" without getting rid of Darnley... permanently. Her "confession" to Bothwell was classic Mary - reckless and just dumb.

DARNLEY

I don't know how I feel about the fact that he's crazy now. He killed all of those privy council members after listening to a hallucination of Keira. YIKES. It's really disappointing because I love his character. I guess it explains how they justify getting rid of him, though... If he was rumored to have syphilis historically, it makes sense.

NARCISSE

Ugh... I don't even know what to say. I'm willing to accept that he is still mourning Lola's loss and hungry for revenge - in spite of the fact that just last episode it appeared he was trying to let go of his grief and be loved by Catherine. To me, his love for Lola doesn't necessarily mean he can't love Catherine, too. So, it doesn't ruin Catcisse for me in that sense. It's his disgusting behavior that ruins them. He came off looking AWFUL and Catherine deserves better. It's so frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
And showing Mary Knox's package was unecessary. Eeew. Telling her wasn't good enough? Yuck dude. And leaving him alive was probably a bab idea. Now he's gonna want revenge too. WTF.
Ick. AGREE. I'll admit that it was REALLY satisfying to see Knox being tortured and castrated. But did Narcisse really have to show Mary Knox's package??? So gross. Was he expecting Mary to thank him and give him a pat on the back? And it makes me really nervous that Knox was allowed to live. He's definitely going to want revenge.

Narcisse poisoning Gideon was really shocking. So I guess Narcisse didn't really mean it when he admitted that Elizabeth had no choice but to execute Lola? WHY did he still feel the need to include her in his revenge plot. He killed a good, innocent man, and it was completely unnecessary. Plot device or not... Gideon deserved better.

CATHERINE

She was SO ridiculously underused in this episode. But at least we got to see her looking GORGEOUS in a sweet nightgown with her beautiful hair down.

I loved that Catherine ensured that Narcisse would not let his plotting track back to Mary. Sadly, I'm still afraid it will.

CHARLES

Ok, so Charles rejecting all of his potential Spanish brides after looking at their paintings was pretty amusing. But Luc inadvertently inspiring him to announce that he is going to marry Nicole, "the love of his life." Oh, Lord.

HENRI

I appreciate that they introduced the cross-dressing aspect of his historical character. It did make him even more intriguing. I actually liked Nicole for being so supportive of him. Do you think he really meant it when he told her he loved her?

CLAUDE

I agree with everything that's been said. I'm getting whiplash from the Claude and Luc drama, and it's getting old. One minute Luc is dancing with her and telling her likes being close to her... the next he is asking Charles to help him get an annulment. UGH. You could have a loving, happy marriage. JUST GET IT TOGETHER ALREADY!!!

ELIZABETH

I'm genuinely heartbroken about Gideon. Poor Liz!! I know a lot of people didn't like them together romantically, but I thought they were lovely. Their binding ceremony in the chapel was beautiful. Seeing Elizabeth struggling to leave Gideon's side... I couldn't help but flashback to when Mary didn't want to let go of Francis in that clearing. I hate that all three of our queens have experienced so much loss and pain. Do you all think that Elizabeth will find out that Narcisse is responsible for Gideon's death and seek her own revenge? Will she link it to Mary and go to war?

Last edited by kerbear28; 06-02-2017 at 09:44 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Master Fan

Now I am not only afraid of what consequences Narcisses actions will cause, but what other plots and olans he may have up his sleeve. He said "everyone will pay" who else might that include? Does he yet have another victim? I will forever have that scene in my head in season 2 where Antoine said "they won't see you coming" and he replied "not this time"

ETA:
Haha

Addie agrees.

Last edited by NotDoneAbusingYou; 06-03-2017 at 02:59 AM
NotDoneAbusingYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Narcisse never forgot Lola. Just because it wasn't mentioned constantly means nothing. He was still pining over her and mourning her loss, tbat has always been blatantly clear.
Not to me, tbh. But even if he was pining over her and I didn't see it, it still doesn't make sense for him to suddenly be so obsessed with avenging her.

Quote:
Henry has nit been around for half the season. Hes only been here for 4 episodes.
That was an exaggeration, still if you count 4 episodes and the hiatus that makes more than a month with the character without us knowing an aspect of him that appears to matter to him and is also kind of iconic in historical terms.

Quote:
Elizabeth was already ruined a long time ago IMO
True, but the affair with Gideon and the *wedding* were the nail in the coffin. She officially is another Mary, except the other one has more friends and is more beloved. Way to ruin any message about the two approaches to queenship the show used to have.

Quote:
Who is returning?
Spoiler:

Quote:
I thought for a moment Henri was secretly gay. But he just likes to crossdress?
I thought that too, but God forbid they introduce a gay character, only bi women because that's sexy you know? *eye roll* but to their credit, no gay affair is documented for irl Henry. Not that rl matters to Reign.

Quote:
I have to force myself not to roll my eyes when they are on screen. If Bothwell was just unhealthily obsessed with her, that would be a lot more interesting.
It would also make more sense than Hey I just met you and this is crazy but I'll kill your husband so call me maybe, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Plot device or not... Gideon deserved better.
Definitely.

Quote:
If he was rumored to have syphilis historically, it makes sense.
It could take many years for syphilis to make a man mad though, I think he was deranged or at least debauched and just overall an embarassment for Mary, but they could easily have blamed syphilis for all that.

Quote:
Do you all think that Elizabeth will find out that Narcisse is responsible for Gideon's death and seek her own revenge? Will she link it to Mary and go to war?
That's a possibility, I can't and won't expect the servant girl to get away with all this and the worst part is that Elizabeth had known she should have killed her all along. Gideon allowed her to live and look what he got in return.