Moderator of ...
Reign

Reign 4.13 "Coup de Grace" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
Coup de Grace
Season 4 Episode 13

Air Date CW: Friday, May 19th at 9/8c

IT'S HUSBAND AGAINST WIFE AS DARNLEY WORKS TO RUIN MARY -
Darnley teams up with John Knox to strip Mary of her throne, which will leave a close friend of Mary's dead. Elizabeth must banish Gideon from court at the request of her future husband, while Charles takes a bold stance against his brother Henri.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

Hot Catcisse scene was disappointing. What we saw on the promo was pretty much it. Ugg. Something seemed lacking in the conversation beforehand. It was played more for henri and Nicole to see rather than for the monent itself.

Henry and Nicole getting together is gonna be bad for Catherine's control over Charles, but at least Narcisse seems to be on her side now so that's a plus...or at least for now. There wasn't enough lead up to it to tell if his feelings were genuine.

I just knew Darnley didn't want to hurt Mary. Those prior threats were empty as I suspected. He only wanted respect and nothing more. He hust went to far and made a lot of dumb mistakes out of anger. Poor dude actually seriously thought she was cheating on him for a minute.

Poor Rizzio. That was brutal. But kudos to them for not sugarcoating it.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Overall, I really loved this episode!

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
Hot Catcisse scene was disappointing. What we saw on the promo was pretty much it. Ugg. Something seemed lacking in the conversation beforehand. It was played more for henri and Nicole to see rather than for the monent itself.
I get why you were disappointed, and on some level, I agree with you. I wish we had seen more than just what was in the promo. But all of that didn't prevent me from enjoying the moment. The chemistry is off the charts, and it made me so HAPPY to see that Narcisse really is on Catherine's side. I do believe that, and I want to believe his feelings are genuine and that being with Nicole has helped him appreciate how AMAZING Catherine is. They really are "equally matched."

Catcisse making fun of Nicole's gifts and love notes to Narcisse was kind of mean... but I didn't feel sorry for the girl for one second. Oy, she annoys me so much. Her being with Henri now is definitely going to cause problems and make it more difficult to control Charles. YIKES. Charles commanding that Henri will NOT have what belongs to him, and Henri's smile as he walked away. So much drama coming.

Scotland

Quote:
I just knew Darnley didn't want to hurt Mary. Those prior threats were empty as I suspected. He only wanted respect and nothing more. He hust went to far and made a lot of dumb mistakes out of anger. Poor dude actually seriously thought she was cheating on him for a minute.
YES! I knew it, too. Darnley was totally freaked out at the thought of Mary (and their child) being killed or harmed. Deep down, he really does care for her, and his threats were completely empty. He couldn't even ruin Mary by denying that he was the father of their child when he had the opportunity. All he ever wanted was respect - to be her equal.

Poor guy did believe that Mary was having an affair with Bothwell for a moment. You could tell he was hurt and jealous when he talked about how "passionate" she was and remembered when she had taken him in the hallway before they were married. He never wanted his insecurity to lead to Rizzio's murder. I know he was protecting himself as well, but I was proud of him for doing the right thing and helping Mary escape the castle.

POOR RIZZIO. I could see it coming from a mile away, but it was still painful to watch. Like Mary said, a queen doesn't have many friends, so it is heartbreaking to see her lose one.

Bothwell/Mary is still not exciting me as much as I would like, but they are great. He is always on her side.

Mary's speech at the end to her loyal supporters was awesome.

England

Not too much to say here. It was amusing to see the "Virgin Queen" writing smut about how much she desires her lover. I know I am pretty much alone here in supporting Elizabeth/Gideon. I feel sad that Liz is being forced to let him go. I don't trust the Archduke at all. I still want to know who Jane was writing to!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

This episode was a doozy.

Darnley, Darnley, Darnley. His biggest problem is that he's just not that smart. He's easily manipulated and cannot see the big picture whatever the circumstance and he doesn't have the backbone to stand up to anyone. I blame him for a lot of horribleness in this episode but I do love all the layers to his personality and I can see where his small mind is coming from even when he's being awful.

I was very happy he was quite oppossed to actually hurting or killing Mary and HIS child. Unlike Knox who is just THE WORST EVER. "There is no such thing as an innocent child." Serious WTH, I just need this guy to die the worst death ever and it really sucks because it didn't happen historically but I hope they somehow make it happen on Reign.

Rizzio's murder was dreadful, as horrible as it was to watch, I'm glad they did it justice since it was probably even worse than that historically. This might be the most historically accurate episode ever? (not that I ever care about the historical inaccuracies ) It was such a sad and brutal scene. Mary's screams and Rizzio's fear. Just awful. But kuddos to the actors and the wonderful director because it was all acted out perfectly.

Loved the Mary/Darnley scenes that followed. Finally some real emotions and hard truths and I'm glad that he defected to Mary's side (at least for the moment) and helped her escape. He seemed genuinely sorry and actually worried about her for once. Will is spot on when describing him as complex.

Curious how this is all going to play out since now that Darnley has betrayed Mary in front of everyone ...there's really no coming back from that. Obviously we know what happened historically but I'm 'looking forward' to seeing Reign's version.

France...

Agree about the Narcisse/Catherine scenes, it stinks that it was so brief and that it was done with Henry and Nicole watching. Henri's reaction though was so funny. Who wouldn't be traumatized after watching their mother do that

Nicole is another one who I don't have any sympathy for. She's manipulating Charles and basically blackmailing Narcisse into 'loving' her, why is she so shocked that his feelings aren't genuine? I mean really..

England...I hate to admit it but I fwd'd those scenes. I'll go back and watch it all soon

Last edited by Scottish_Queen; 05-20-2017 at 01:27 PM
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Master Fan

OMG yes! Henri's reaction was amazing. "I'll never get those sounds out of my head" dying.

Also, dor some reason, I just didn't buy Catcisse, especially deom Catherine's side. He had just turned on her, why would she just go jump his bones and it is sooooooo out of character for Catherine ti just be okay that he's sleeping with everyone. It's noy lime she knew he'd jumped back on her side or anything. It was weird and rushed and it almost felt like a throw away scene. Of course I wont deny the hotness, but it was definitely missing something.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

awesome episode!

Finally some Catcisse

Gideon and Narcisse are both remarkable tacticians!

Darnley isn't as bad as I thought, he was horrified by how they've turned on Rizzio.

Henri calling Charles a 'boy king' when he's younger
Old 05-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Hey Lindsay and Rita!

Lindsay, I have to tell you that I always enjoy reading your thoughtful and detailed analysis after an episode. Brilliant. Sorry for all of the quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Queen (View Post)
Darnley, Darnley, Darnley. His biggest problem is that he's just not that smart. He's easily manipulated and cannot see the big picture whatever the circumstance and he doesn't have the backbone to stand up to anyone. I blame him for a lot of horribleness in this episode but I do love all the layers to his personality and I can see where his small mind is coming from even when he's being awful.

I was very happy he was quite oppossed to actually hurting or killing Mary and HIS child. Unlike Knox who is just THE WORST EVER. "There is no such thing as an innocent child." Serious WTH, I just need this guy to die the worst death ever and it really sucks because it didn't happen historically but I hope they somehow make it happen on Reign.
I don't necessarily think that Darnley is not smart. I actually think he can be rather clever and astute. It's just that he let his anger and hurt pride get the best of him. Like you said, he allowed himself to be manipulated and he made a couple very bad, short-sighted decisions that he couldn't come back from. Obviously, he shares a lot of responsibility for everything that happened in this episode. But John Knox, the Scottish nobles, and even Mary made decisions that led everyone to this point. I wish Darnley had tried harder to stand up to the nobles, but I don't know if that would have done any good after things had gone this far. You can call him a coward, but I understand why Darnley feared for his own life. I don't blame him for not wanting to die.

OH MY GOSH, I completely agree about John Knox! That man needs to die a horrible death - or at least spend the rest of his life in misery. I hope Reign can make that happen somehow.

Quote:
Rizzio's murder was dreadful, as horrible as it was to watch, I'm glad they did it justice since it was probably even worse than that historically. This might be the most historically accurate episode ever? (not that I ever care about the historical inaccuracies ) It was such a sad and brutal scene. Mary's screams and Rizzio's fear. Just awful. But kuddos to the actors and the wonderful director because it was all acted out perfectly.
Exactly. That scene was so incredibly well-done. Bravo to everyone involved. As horrible and heartbreaking as it was to watch, it did the event justice. Historically accurate, and extremely moving.

Quote:
Loved the Mary/Darnley scenes that followed. Finally some real emotions and hard truths and I'm glad that he defected to Mary's side (at least for the moment) and helped her escape. He seemed genuinely sorry and actually worried about her for once. Will is spot on when describing him as complex.
See this is why I can't completely hate the guy. He really did seem genuinely remorseful and, in the end, he did the right thing and tried his best to protect her. You have to love complex characters like that.

Quote:
Curious how this is all going to play out since now that Darnley has betrayed Mary in front of everyone ...there's really no coming back from that. Obviously we know what happened historically but I'm 'looking forward' to seeing Reign's version.
I'm "looking forward" to seeing how Reign shows it all playing out, too. It will definitely be interesting to see how Darnley's "accidental" death comes about and who is responsible.

Quote:
Nicole is another one who I don't have any sympathy for. She's manipulating Charles and basically blackmailing Narcisse into 'loving' her, why is she so shocked that his feelings aren't genuine? I mean really..
Same. I have zero sympathy.

Quote:
OMG yes! Henri's reaction was amazing. "I'll never get those sounds out of my head" dying.
YES!!! I totally forgot to mention that before! Henri's reaction was PRICELESS. Of course the poor boy is traumatized after hearing his mother in that situation.

Quote:
Also, dor some reason, I just didn't buy Catcisse, especially deom Catherine's side. He had just turned on her, why would she just go jump his bones and it is sooooooo out of character for Catherine ti just be okay that he's sleeping with everyone. It's noy lime she knew he'd jumped back on her side or anything. It was weird and rushed and it almost felt like a throw away scene. Of course I wont deny the hotness, but it was definitely missing something.
Those are good points. It did feel a bit rushed. But, to me it made sense - especially if they are both convincing themselves that it is just about the sex (and not about real trust or feelings). I'm anxious to see how things develop from here. Will they try to keep things "casual"? Will one of them demand more?

Last edited by kerbear28; 05-21-2017 at 08:30 AM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Lindsay, I have to tell you that I always enjoy reading your thoughtful and detailed analysis after an episode. Brilliant. Sorry for all of the quoting.
Thanks, that's really sweet. I always enjoy reading yours as well. I only wish I had known about this board when the show first started. I can't believe there's only 3 episodes left, I wish we had more time to discuss and speculate

Quote:
I wish Darnley had tried harder to stand up to the nobles, but I don't know if that would have done any good after things had gone this far. You can call him a coward, but I understand why Darnley feared for his own life. I don't blame him for not wanting to die.
I don't blame him for wanting to save his own life either, and I do think if he had gone with Mary to meet Bothwell...good things would not have happened to him so he was right to run, even if leaving your pregnant wife in the middle of the woods at night alone was not the best look

Quote:
See this is why I can't completely hate the guy. He really did seem genuinely remorseful and, in the end, he did the right thing and tried his best to protect her. You have to love complex characters like that.
I don't hate him either despite a lot of the evil things he's done to Mary. He's a fascinating character with many layers. I love characters like this because I can at least understand their motivations even when I hate the actions. One day he's snarling in Mary's face threating to kill her while pregnant and the next he's saving her from the coup he orchestrated. Makes my head spin a bit but I love that deep down under all the power hungry angry layers, there's just a guy in there who wants to be loved.

Quote:
I'm "looking forward" to seeing how Reign shows it all playing out, too. It will definitely be interesting to see how Darnley's "accidental" death comes about and who is responsible.
I think he's going to go out in a blaze of something lol. I can't help but remember James's threat to Darnley earlier on in the season "If you betray my sister I will kill you." Sooo, I think Darnley will do one last desperate thing (maybe kidnap the baby?) and this sends James and Bothwell after him and they end up taking him out. We will find out in 3 episodes (sooo depressing)
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Quote:
I only wish I had known about this board when the show first started. I can't believe there's only 3 episodes left, I wish we had more time to discuss and speculate
I wish you had been with us here from the beginning.

Quote:
I don't blame him for wanting to save his own life either, and I do think if he had gone with Mary to meet Bothwell...good things would not have happened to him so he was right to run, even if leaving your pregnant wife in the middle of the woods at night alone was not the best look
Right, that was certainly not the most chivalrous act that's ever been portrayed on this show.

Quote:
I don't hate him either despite a lot of the evil things he's done to Mary. He's a fascinating character with many layers. I love characters like this because I can at least understand their motivations even when I hate the actions. One day he's snarling in Mary's face threating to kill her while pregnant and the next he's saving her from the coup he orchestrated. Makes my head spin a bit but I love that deep down under all the power hungry angry layers, there's just a guy in there who wants to be loved.
Mary hit the nail on the head when she said that Darnley just wants to be adored.

Quote:
I think he's going to go out in a blaze of something lol. I can't help but remember James's threat to Darnley earlier on in the season "If you betray my sister I will kill you." Sooo, I think Darnley will do one last desperate thing (maybe kidnap the baby?) and this sends James and Bothwell after him and they end up taking him out. We will find out in 3 episodes (sooo depressing)
I could definitely see that happening. We'll know soon enough.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Master Fan

Ann was on Afterbuzz talking about the episode.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Cool! I had heard that Ann was going to be on AfterBuzz. I'll watch it, ASAP.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Now I'm back off holiday I finally caught up with the last 3 episodes. OMG. THE WAY THIS ONE ENDED I THOUGHT IT WAS A MID SEASON FINALE! It's not thank god. 3 left. I can't wait for the next episode it looks good.

I wasn't ready for Davids death. I've previously said that since he first came in that I was scared to see him die and it was a lot worse than I expected. It was so brutal, I cried.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

So glad you're back, Jade! I hope you had an amazing time in Spain.

I completely agree about the ending of this episode. It was so intense! And of course David's death hit me hard, too.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you
Old 10-18-2017, 06:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah Rizzo death was really sad and hard to watch I had to look away. I am glad Darnley did the right thing and helped her escape.
I didn't feel bad for Nicole but I did feel bad for Henry probably scared for life.
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread