Moderator of ...
Reign

Reign 4.10 "A Better Man" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
A Better Man
Season 4 Episode 10

Air Date CW: Friday, April 28th at 9/8c

MARY PLOTS TO TAKE OVER ELIZABETH’S THRONE —
As Mary (Adelaide Kane) strategizes ways to take over the English throne, Elizabeth (Rachel Skarsten) struggles to find an appropriate suitor to marry. Meanwhile, James (Dan Jeannotte) gets caught up in a scheme orchestrated by John Knox (Jonathan Goad) and has to deal with the tragic aftermath. Celina Sinden, Megan Follows, Craig Parker, Ben Geurens, Rose Williams, Will Kemp and Spencer MacPherson star. Dawn Wilkinson directed the episode written by John J. Sakmar and Kerry Lenhart (#410). Original airdate 4/28/2017.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

Tftnt Keri. I was just about to make it but you beat me to it. You are on top of things tonight.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

My pleasure. I figured that I should at least get this done a little early because I won't be able to watch the episode live tomorrow night. I have a year-end banquet to go to at work. It will be nice, but I'm really going to miss posting with you guys. I promise I will watch it and catch up here ASAP.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Master Fan

I will probably be watching in about 2 hours.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Awesome. Let us know what you thought. Anything happen that you weren't expecting?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:10 AM
Master Fan

I guess I'll have to wait like everyone else...the episode was never posted.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 AM
Part-Time Fan

Way later than they normally post it but I was able to watch it. I really liked this episode...even though it's depressing.

Spoiler:
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Spoiler:
Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Master Fan

Pros:
Catherine in that dress at the end, OMG gorgeous.

Proud mama bear Catherine, adorable.

James kicking ass in that fight was awesome. And also him listening to the miusic at the beginning, hilarious.

Henri is gorgeous and I don't even care if he turns out to be awful.

Darnley's little fight with Hamilton was awesome.

Cons:
So I really hate this whole Nicole story line as I expected I would. It doesn't even make sense how she so easily manipulates him. Doesn't he find it odd that she is so suddenly so deep into politics? Don't like what they are doing with Catcisse either.

Also don't like that they sent James away and how stupid they made everyone look when they didn't even question if Emily Knox was telling the truth.

Liz and Gideon are making me vomit.

Mary keeps saying that she wants things to work with Darnley, but he is the only one actually trying to accomplish that. Starting to make Mary look like a jerk.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
Also don't like that they sent James away and how stupid they made everyone look when they didn't even question if Emily Knox was telling the truth.

This is exactly how I feel on these two points.
Point 1: Why he didn't even consider she was lying when she says "I hate you."
Point 2: This was a shame because the Elizabeth story was back on point only two episodes ago when she was looking toward the New World.

I also agree with the Catherine Epaulet dress. It gave her the idea of her doing battle which is exactly what she is doing.

I am not sure about this episode yet. Still thinking it through.

The best part of this episode: both Mary and Catherine are doing everything in their power to at least keep a hold of their power base but it is unraveling fast.

As said above: I just don't get what the reasoning behind Elizabeth and Gideon, which is why this episode was a mixed bag for me.
Bravebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
ME TOO. Ugh. I really just can't stand them together. There was entirely too much English court in this episode for me.

Quote:
So I really hate this whole Nicole story line as I expected I would. It doesn't even make sense how she so easily manipulates him. Doesn't he find it odd that she is so suddenly so deep into politics? Don't like what they are doing with Catcisse either.
I'm not a fan of the Nicole story either and I was confused as to what Narcisse really feels about her. He seemed really genuine when talking to her about Lola so I wasn't sure if he's just straight up playin her or if there's something else there. Either way, I'm not a fan of hers though I do love her dresses.

Quote:
Catherine in that dress at the end, OMG gorgeous.
Beyond stunning. Loved it SO MUCH.

As for the rest, I think Mary's coming around with Darnley. He was really great in this episode. When someone betrays you like Darnley did with Mary and then add in the drinking, it's hard to get past that and not a lot of time has passed. So I really liked that he's trying to be that better man and rising to her challenge and in the end when she relented and told him about the baby...I think she's finally trying too.

Darnley's reaction to finding out he's going to be a Dad was so adorable...and I loved how Mary was SO nervous to tell him. It would be nice if these two could get a few good moments before it really really goes bad.

Quote:
James underestimated Emily big time. I don't get why he trusted her either after he found out Knox knew of the affair. He's like Mary though...always wanting to believe the best in people and it usually bites them in the butt. I hate that he had to leave too but I figured it was coming. It happened historically (though Reign's version is way different and way better since this James isn't a disloyal selfish ass) they have to leave Mary vulnerable so her world now gets to systematically crash down around her. She lost the one guy who would always protect her no matter what. I think James will come back in the end to be regent and protector of Baby James while Mary sacrifices herself for peace (just my prediction.)

Bothwell might be loyal but now he'll be a romantic rival to Darnley whereas James wasn't since he was her brother. So that's just really going to make a big mess.

Quote:
Henri is gorgeous and I don't even care if he turns out to be awful.
This is me too. LOVE him already. Hope he's as devious as ever
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Finally got to watch the episode and I really liked it! Though I have to agree with Lindsay that parts were very depressing.

SCOTLAND

Darnley (and Mary/Darnley)
- Darnley listening to the music at the beginning was hilarious.
Quote:
Mary keeps saying that she wants things to work with Darnley, but he is the only one actually trying to accomplish that. Starting to make Mary look like a jerk.
- I kind of agree with this. She's challenging him to be the "better man," while shutting him out and making it clear that she doesn't trust him or believe that he can do it. There was some hope in the end, though.
- Love that Rizzio was put in charge of keeping Darnley occupied during Hamilton's visit. He continues to be amazing.
- Darnley's little meeting with Hamilton was awesome. I was so proud of Darnley when he resisted all of that provocation.
- I felt so bad for Darnley when he overheard James telling Mary to send for Bothwell because Darnley couldn't handle the situation and protect her.
- It was really cute when Mary finally told Darnley he was going to be a father. He was so excited! Love that he wants to be a good a husband and father, and that he promised to protect her. Like Lindsay said, though, I don't get the point of keeping it from him while not sleeping with him for a month after their marriage. Perhaps in that moment, Mary finally felt like she could trust him, and that he wouldn't use the fact that they conceived before their marriage against her. I want to believe that she really is coming around and is trying, too.

Greer and James
- "Be patient with me" and that kiss.
- I was so happy, so of course James had to be sent away. Thanks for that, Reign writers.
Quote:
Greer was not happy with Mary for sending James off "how many people will you sacrifice?" Something tells me that's how this show will end...Mary will in the end sacrifice herself.
- You may be right.

Mary and James
- It was so adorable when she told him about the baby.
- I really HATE that these two have to be separated. I love their bond so much. He's so protective of her. I NEED HIM TO COME BACK SOON! That hug at the end.
Quote:
- Exactly! It was so frustrating. I mean, the woman hates you James. Why are you trusting her word? Like Lindsay said, James underestimated her big time.
Quote:
Seriously, Mrs. Knox I feel SO beyond bad for. She double crossed James, nearly turned all the Protestants against Mary and is the reason James had to leave but still...Mary was major harsh in that punishment. I was scared of her So glad that I didn't live back then, women had it so bad.
- Yes, sending her back to the hell of her marriage was really the worst punishment Mary could give. How can you not feel sorry for Emily?

FRANCE
- Catherine was gorgeous as always, but that dress at the end... spectacular.

Charles
- Proud Mama Catherine. Charles finally WANTS to be king again, and he seemed so happy to have the love of the people and to know that his mother is proud of him. Made me sad to think that they were all just plotting to make him abdicate.

Nicole - Catcisse
- The Nicole storyline annoys me, too. I just don't understand why she is able to lead Charles so easily. And all of a sudden she's "in love" with Narcisse. She is way too ambitious.
- I hate that Narcisse actually had to go through with seducing Nicole (and desecrate Lola's memory in the process). Yuck. You could tell he was disgusted by the whole situation, too. He hated that he had to do it "for the good of France."
- Part of me still has hope for Catcisse, though... When Catherine asked him why he was holding back, I got the sense that it wasn't just because of his grief over Lola. I think he still has feelings for Catherine and wants to have something real with her again. Obviously, it hurts that she is pushing him on someone else (even if it is just politics).

Henri
- He is just so damn beautiful. I'm with Amanda... I don't even care if he is going to be terrible. That parallel with Henri on the throne and Darnley's coronation was ominous. No matter what he said, he was disappointed that Charles was not abdicating.

ENGLAND
- I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind Liz and Darnley. I actually like their chemistry. There is this bittersweet tension, knowing that he must help her find a suitable match from among her many suitors, while all they want is to be together. (The same painful situation she was in with Dudley). I like seeing Elizabeth happy, and not alone. I was surprised that he agreed to continue to be her lover (and possibly father her child ). Will he really be content to just be a part of her life... even if it is the most precious part? How can this end happily?
Old 04-29-2017, 12:02 PM
New Fan

Mary banishing james made me so sad but i think the show decided they had to have mary banish james to say that they kept big historical events in the show. In real life james rebelled against mary after marrying darnley and was banished before being unbanished the next year and was "reconciled" with his sister before being part of the group that forced her to abdicate. In the show the writers felt the need to banish but decided to do it in a way where they part on good terms. Still made me cry because just when the two siblings start getting along and trusting one in the other completely she has to banish him to keep her crown. Hope that they unbanish him soon and that he remains on good terms.
yosefcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:13 PM
New Fan

one problem I had with the banishing him was when mary went to hug him in public before he left. She just declared him a traitor in public in order to save her crown and then goes to hug him in public. Wont that cause the people to think that something is up and that she is onlyl banishing him as a cover up and not for commiting a crime which would then come back to bite her? I still loved the scene but that is a question i had.
yosefcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

^ That is a good point. Perhaps we just have to assume that the people would understand that Mary would still love her brother, in spite of what he has done.

Should we start a thread for Nick/Henri?????? I'm going over to my parents' house tonight for my birthday, but I would be happy to open a thread ASAP this week.