Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

REWATCH: 1.03 Red Tide

Episode 1.03 Red Tide

Patrick Jane and team plunge into the quintessential California world of surfing when a high school girl's body washes up on a state beach. Ditch water in her lungs suggests she was drowned elsewhere and her body was dumped in the ocean as a cover-up. Since the victim was last seen with her four surfer friends at a beach bonfire, soon to be the site of a condo development, Jane surmises the teens know more than they're willing to admit. And when the condo construction site security guard is found murdered and hidden in a block of cement, with evidence proving he died the same night as the victim, Jane sets a mentalist trap to get the four friends to turn on each other after they try framing someone, and reveal the shocking truth of their collective guilt. source

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thank you for the efforts.

The Lisbon in this episode is a bit different than the one we are accustomed to over the years.

She was on the verge of roughing up Cho for allowing Jane to hypnotize a girl to get to know the relationship between the victim and a suspect.

And she would later on lecture Van Pelt for trying to say something about her past of having an alcoholic Dad, when Van Pelt was merely doing it in a discreet way and out of compassion when they were seen leaving the house of the victim's father.

Maybe the character was still to take shape by then and Robin and the writers were still working on it.
Red Red Wine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This is the first opportunity (I think) that we get to see that there's a big kid inside of Patrick Jane. One that, in these early days, still struggles to come out from under the blanket of hurt and grief that he's burdened with, but one that is still very strong. I think it's a significant part of what makes the character of Jane more human - and not simply a one-dimensional man on a mission of revenge. It also gives us a glimpse of what he might have been like as a father - which adds a level of pathos to the character and the show. Getting such a vivid reminder of what the man has lost makes you feel for him that much more. I think it's part of what allows us to forgive him virtually anything in future episodes - including what amounts to murder.

~Heidi
Old 06-23-2015, 06:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

My guess is the fun-loving side of Jane might have a balancing effect in his personality and might be important for him to function as a human being considering the guilt and shame that is ridden in him.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Red Wine (View Post)
My guess is the fun-loving side of Jane might have a balancing effect in his personality and might be important for him to function as a human being considering the guilt and shame that is ridden in him.
do you think if he and lisbon have a daughter she will act like the bucket kid?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Dedicated Fan

Jane and Lisbon seem sensible people to me and I believe they would make good parents. Also there is a chance that the child would get the best of both worlds: brilliant and street-wise and also virtuous and courageous.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Master Fan

ah nice just curious
Old 07-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I always think of this one as The Mentalist meets Baywatch - just without the red suits.

~Heidi
Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Master Fan

Lol
Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I also wonder how long it must have taken Jane to build that awesome sand castle!

~Heidi
Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Master Fan

Me too can I ask do you think he was jealous of that dude who hit on lisbon in the episode the one who said if she was younger hed give her a shot?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

At that point, I don't think Jane was jealous, if only because he didn't feel he had a right to be jealous. But I do think he thought the guy was no way good enough for Lisbon. If the guy had tried to put the moves on her, Jane would have found some sneaky way to put a stop to it.

~Heidi
Old 07-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Master Fan

Just curious
Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Master Fan

Good point
Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

On the other hand, the one thing that I keep forgetting is that as of S1, Jane had been working with Lisbon for 5 years. So it's possible that he did have those feelings, knew he had them and was jealous. I still think he was at a point where he felt he had no right to those feelings - that his only focus in life had to be Red John. So he would never express his jealousy or his love or let it show. But that doesn't mean he wasn't feeling it.

~Heidi
Reply   Post New Thread