Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Shadow Kiss Book Discussion #1: Blossoming romance, tragedy and friendships. A cliffhanger that'll kill you..

It's springtime at St. Vladimir's Academy, and Rose Hathaway is this close to graduation. Since making her first Strigoi kills, Rose hasn't been feeling quite right. She's having dark thoughts, behaving erratically, and worst of all... might be seeing ghosts.

As Rose questions her sanity, new complications arise. Lissa has begun experimenting with her magic once more, their enemy Victor Dashkov might be set free, and Rose's forbidden relationship with Dimitri is starting to heat up again. But when a deadly threat no one saw coming changes their entire world, Rose must put her own life on the line - and choose between the two people she loves most
Old 11-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

The ending this killed me
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I know! Killed pretty much all of us, I think. I had no idea what was gonna happen after that.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Started my re-read. Remembering how I love this book. Mason's ghost appearing to Rose and Adrian banter as she is guarding him.
Even Adrian and his humor.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

You mean the Rose and Christian banter?
I have to get back to reading this one. I haven't had time to read it this week

i love you. ♡
Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Since I just read it I'm all for the re-read

The book was just stunning... The first chapter already. I felt really sorry for Rose. She had to feel and see all of that Lissa and Christian stuff while she wasn't allowed to be in love with Dimitri. But he always kind of knew that she was up to something because it was always her stumbling over her.

Oh yes, Christian and Rose. I loved them in the book... I still wish for them to fight next to each other because they are a fantastic team.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. It had to be hard for Rose seeing LC and unable to be with whom she loved. And then another stab was thinking she was going to go crazy with upon seeing Mason.
She should have mentioned something to someone, maybe they could have figured out what was going on, also maybe prevent what happened, the whole attack.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh yes... Seeing the ghosts. It was so scary and I felt so sorry for her because she was too afraid to tell anybody, even Dimitri. Yes, I'm not sure how anybody would react when you are telling them that you are seeing ghosts, especially the ghost of your former bf that died not long ago. She was so alone.

You know what else I didn't like? I couldn't believe that Lissa was so blind regarding Rose and Dimitri... Rose was her best friend and really, she didn't realize that her BBF was in love. And I didn't like that Rose kept so much from Lissa either. It really was hard on their friendship.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, even in this book it's bizarre that she never picked up on it. Even during Victor's trial she was like "I can't believe he said all those things about you and Dimitri." like it was the most ridiculous thing in the world.

It's this book where Rose is starting to get sick of putting the Moroi first and sick of being selfless. She wants things for herself. She wants to be happy like Lissa is, but is unable to do so.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

I finished the book. No matter how many times I read this book the pain doesn't fade. But re-reading it reminds me why you love this series.

I love everything at court. The Queen thinking Rose was trying to get her claws in Adrian was hilarious. Rose thought so too. Then there was the stuff going on with Mason and Rose seeing ghosts. Of course nobody believed her, but the reason why she could see them was because she was shadow-kissed, she was taken from death and brought to the living, so she has a connection with the other side (geez lets hope I don't sound too much like TVD )

Rose and Dimitri were just perfection. Their relationship has evolved to the point where they finally were able to express their feelings for one another without having feeling guilty about them. They decided to put what they want first for a change.
And then... THAT happened. Of course, right? Just when they find happiness it then get taken away from them.

But there is so much to love about this book. Adrian was quirky and flirting with Rose, helping Lissa with spirit. Christian feeling jealous of them and probably like a third wheel, and then that whole thing about Royals banding together to fight and stay in charge.

I didn't like (any of the times I have read this) Lissa's attitude at the end. Sure, she felt like she was losing her friend, but really -- Rose has done so much for Lissa for so long that it was well deserved she should put herself first for a change. Rose had more going on then Lissa did at that point. She should have been more understanding, and I hate that she tried to compel Rose not to leave. It felt very desperate, but I feel that Lissa needs to be on her own for a while as she hadn't been for as long as they can remember. She needs to learn to stand on her own feet and not to rely on Rose and their bond.

Okay this has turned into a novel, but you get my drift. I thought it was a fantastic book with a horrible, but I need to know more cliffhanger!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Aww, that was fast! Your re-read I mean Great to hear you're done.

I really agree with everything you said.

Rose asking Lissa if she could bring back Dimitri from the dead, begging her in the end and her denying it, even after she finally got that she loves Dimitri and he loves her. Come on, it's her best friend and after everything she's done for Lissa... I was really hurt, too. It's kind of a wonder that Lissa in the end figured out what Rose was up, too.

But yes, I don't get about Lissa's behavior at the end of the book! Telling her that she loved Dimitri more and not even asking if she could come with her. It didn't at all cross her mind and THAT made me furious! Rose would have done EVERYTHING for her in such a situation. But when she needed Lissa the most, she was on her own and she hasn't been there for her. It was unbelievable for me tbh.

What I didn't like either was Rose going to Adrian for money because she knew she'd get it and I could have hit him when he wanted her to give him a chance when she's back! Damn it, she was just about leaving to kill the man she LOVED! That was really low... But yeah, we know that later on Rose isn't kind of any better though...

But I loved Adrian with Lissa and him helping her with spirit. And we got to know Jill which I loved from the first moment on. She somehow seemed so similar to Rose.

And Lissa going completely crazy when she was tortured by Jesse and the others and practicing that kind if magic making the protection spells weak... That connection I didn't make somehow.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm a fast reader

Even though I'm sure she didn't intend to be, Lissa was pretty selfish there at the end. Rose has done so much for her -- sacrificed so much, and when she asks something, this one thing, it's as if what Rose wants doesn't matter.

I liked that Rose finally put what she wants first for once. She has spent her entire life protecting Lissa and doing what is best for her, but it's time for her to do something for herself, and so she should. She is still half human and has her own feelings.

Yeah, Rose shouldn't have gone to Adrian for the money, but I suppose she couldn't think of anyone else who would have the kind of money that she needed, even if she had to promise him something she never intended to keep at that point. I'm not even if she was sure she was coming back. if she would even survive to come back.

Adrian and Lissa do have a good friendship based off wanting to help one another because they understood how the other felt like nobody else did. I hoped to see more of this friendship because it kind of feels selfless.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's awesome I'm, too but I normally don't have a lot time to read.

I'm as well sure that Lissa didn't want to be that selfish. But she really was it and in that moment I was so mad at her. I guess somehow it has something to do with her not even realizing that Rose had such feelings for Dimitri. Maybe at this point she didn't understand how much he meant to her. I can imagine that it would have been really hard for her. But still, I recall sitting here, reading, and wondering why she never asked her if she could come with her.

I think Rose putting herself first was one of the most important things she has done and it had to come at some point. That's how her personality grow and she became the person she was in the end.

I'm wondering why Rose never asked Lissa for the money... Didn't she think her best friend would understand? Okay, we know her reaction but if she would have explained everything. Instead of being caught while leaving.

That was one of Adrians pretty good characteristics. He helped Lissa a lot with ghost, without ever expecting anything in return. He has a good heart, that's for sure.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. I wasn't impressed with her in that moment either. I'm sure she regretted it later, and couldn't change what happened.

I agree. Rose had to do what was best for her, and it did only strengthen her, and built her personality up even more. If she hadn't, things would have been a lot different. If Rose stayed and never went to Russia, she would never have found Dimitri and everything that happened from there.
Just one moment changes your whole life and direction sometimes.

Maybe Lissa doesn't have the kind of money Rose needed on hand? I have a feeling it's probably something that's in a trust fund. So Adrian was the likely person also not to ask too many questions about what she needed it for.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

She for sure did. Maybe Lissa was just to overwhelmed by the fact that Rose never had said anything about her feelings for Dimitri. She was about to process all of it still and then Rose leaves her. She maybe just was mad and sad at the same time because she got the feeling Rose didn't trust her while Rose could feel every single secret of hers.

Oh yes, I agree. She did grow so much by this experience (if you can call it that way). And she got to know those people who have loved Dimitri as much as she had, people who accepted who she was to him no matter how old she was, without judging her and him for their actions. His family was so lovely, it hurt to know that he wasn't there...

That's possible, yes At some point I think it was even mentioned. They were able to live by Lissa's money when they ran from the academy but it never mentioned or I never got the impression they were spending tons of money.