Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Elite Fan

"Repairs" /1.09 Episode Discussion

"Repairs" / 1.09 - Episode Discussion

Airing 8:00/7:00c, Tuesday, November 26, on ABC

Episode Description
Coulson and his team are haunted by a mysterious force that threatens to destroy them all, and only a secret from May's past can save them, on “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 26 (8:00-9:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Guest starring are Robert Baker as Tobias, Laura Seay as Hannah, Christopher Gehrman as Taylor and Josh Clark as Roger.
"Repairs” was written by Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon and directed by Billy Gierhart.

Sneak Peek #1 [Opening Scene]
Sneak Peek #2

Promo

If you love someone you gotta make a sound
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the thread.

Looking forward to this!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Elite Fan

It looks like another good one
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Moderator Manager

TFTNT!

I hope to see this asap but unfortunately I'll see it late. Enjoy the new ep everyone!

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Elite Fan

Toniiiight.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Elite Fan

Apologies for the double post, buuuut it's been 24 hours.

So, a good episode. Not as strong as "FZZT" or "The Hub", but still good. The "ghost" stuff was really well done, and props to the effects guys.

At first, the comedy in the Fitzsimmons pranks was a little awkward, but that scene where Fitz scared everyone, including himself, with his own prank was hilarious.

I am so glad the writers managed to avoid the usual tropes the come with a surprise hookup amongst teammates. They're consenting adults, and it didn't affect their job.

Coulson and his rare watch. </3

I liked the tidbit that we got on May, but I sincerely hope they delve into it more in the future. Preferably using a flashback technique. I'm wondering who she had to "let go" too.

Her scene with Skye at the end was quite good. Hopefully that's the last we'll see of Skye's attitude towards and about her, because it bugged me a little in the episode.

The post-credits scene was excellent too.

ETA: I also liked that, for the first time probably, we got a really good sense The Bus and the various places on it. And we got to see a few new areas too.

Last edited by gingerly; 11-27-2013 at 01:10 PM
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Elite Fan

Finally saw it, I really enjoyed this episode.

Everything concerning May I loved, the backstory, the prank at the end, even the Ward thing at the beginning. Great stuff.

Skye really being a part of this one was great to see, and the overall teamwork from everyone.
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Okay, so Ward and Melinda Nay are totally doing it, and on a regular basis. I guess that answers the question of whether they ever get off the plane. Ward's reaction to Skye's remark about May needing to get laid was hilarious...and I'm wondering now if Skye knows (she doesn't seem to miss much) and she just dropped that line to see how Ward would react. And I know conventional wisdom has Skye and Ward as a pairing, but I don't think they are, and the closer you look at the way the writers have written Skye's responses to Ward, the clearer it becomes that she really doesn't think of him that way. Even the flirting in the hotel in The Well didn't seem that serious--it was more buddy-buddy flirting than let's-jump-in-bed flirting.

I appreciate the effort to delve into May's past, but the stories were so convoluted the effect was a bit off. Though Coulson's account was the most compelling, it was hard to mesh the reality and the exaggerations.

Also a very nice Coulson/Skye scene. It's nice to see Skye grow, and to hear what Coulson has seen in her from the beginning. I think Coulson envisions Skye becoming a Very Big Deal within SHIELD. And, here's an interesting possibility: Coulson sincerely wants to uncover Skye's past, and tell her as much of it as he can (though he's constrained by his sense of duty, or something, from telling her everything). Meanwhile, he can't access the file that reveals what happened to him after he "died"--but Skye, with the right access point, can apparently hack anything in her sleep...five minutes in the Hub and she was rummaging through all sorts of stuff. So we might eventually see Coulson offering Skye a deal--all he can find out about the secrets of her past, in exchange for her help in uncovering the secrets of his.

After all, Director Fury said that Skye was a risk...but he didn't specify to whom.

The other interesting relationship was Skye and Melinda May. It's totally understandable where Skye is coming from at the beginning of the episode: she's never seen May as anything but aloof, cold, heartless, and their interactions through the first half of the episode didn't change that. And May has always looked down on Skye in a way, probably just because she's a civilian. But then May got to hear Skye work with Hannah, and she's a good enough agent to be impressed by that. And Skye got to see May get Tobias to let Hannah go, in a scene apparently reminiscent of the mission that "broke" her. Skye's conversation with Coulson clearly shows that she understands May better now, and it seems that May understands Skye, too. We may have just seen the beginning of what turns out to be a very solid relationship.

By the way: "You're sending in Warm and Fuzzy?" Love it.

Quote:
ETA: I also liked that, for the first time probably, we got a really good sense The Bus and the various places on it. And we got to see a few new areas too.
Probably not accidental. This is Joss Whedon's baby, after all, and for Firefly he had the entire ship built as one giant set so the audience could really grasp the spatial relationships between the main areas. He's very cognizant of that kind of thing.

Last edited by Wild Pikachu; 11-28-2013 at 02:09 PM
Old 11-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Loyal Fan

Do any of you know whether the comic book features any of these characters and what their relationships are?
The other Marvel adaptations vary in that regard and it might be noice for crossover viewers to see the alternate realities.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Moderator Manager

I thought the episode was okay but not really my favorite.

I'm a big scaredy-cat and I felt like this was the show's Halloween ep. I love all the funny bits with FitzSimmons in this ep. Fitz is so adorable.

I like that they finally told us some backstory with May c/o Coulson (to Skye) but we still don't know what happened entirely which frustrates me. I want to know what happened in that operation that made May what she is now. I also like that moment between Hannah & Skye at the holding room and May hearing everything. Does anyone think May is Skye's mom?

And in regards to Ward/May, I think this is not the romantic kind of thing. The fact that they've been doing this before and has a mode of operation to how they will hide it means that it's just that: it's all sex and nothing more and no one has to find out. But I don't think it'll end anytime soon because it's a matter of convenience for both.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Elite Fan

May being Skye's mom crossed my mind, have we ever been told how old either one of them is?

The Fitzsimmons stuff was great.
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 12-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Pikachu (View Post)
Okay, so Ward and Melinda Nay are totally doing it, and on a regular basis. I guess that answers the question of whether they ever get off the plane. Ward's reaction to Skye's remark about May needing to get laid was hilarious...and I'm wondering now if Skye knows (she doesn't seem to miss much) and she just dropped that line to see how Ward would react. And I know conventional wisdom has Skye and Ward as a pairing, but I don't think they are, and the closer you look at the way the writers have written Skye's responses to Ward, the clearer it becomes that she really doesn't think of him that way. Even the flirting in the hotel in The Well didn't seem that serious--it was more buddy-buddy flirting than let's-jump-in-bed flirting.
Skye/Ward aren't a thing...yet but it's obvious that she likes him. So even if Skye finds out, she can't be jealous because technically they're not together in that sense. I don't think Skye knows and I think they'll be setting up to disappoint shippers which is common in a Whedon universe.

Quote:
Also a very nice Coulson/Skye scene. It's nice to see Skye grow, and to hear what Coulson has seen in her from the beginning. I think Coulson envisions Skye becoming a Very Big Deal within SHIELD. And, here's an interesting possibility: Coulson sincerely wants to uncover Skye's past, and tell her as much of it as he can (though he's constrained by his sense of duty, or something, from telling her everything). Meanwhile, he can't access the file that reveals what happened to him after he "died"--but Skye, with the right access point, can apparently hack anything in her sleep...five minutes in the Hub and she was rummaging through all sorts of stuff. So we might eventually see Coulson offering Skye a deal--all he can find out about the secrets of her past, in exchange for her help in uncovering the secrets of his.
I would like for that to happen but Coulson needs to feel that he can trust Skye (a no-level non-agent) with this secret. For now it's only May who knows what he's doing. Hopefully he can help her first with her parents and honestly, I don't really want to know what happened to him yet because it's going to be bad.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Elite Fan

I think Skye cares about Ward, definitely, I'm just not sure about ~romantic feelings quite yet.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

From Repairs

May: We have a mission.
Ward: Any specifics?
May: No.
Ward: Well, we should follow the same plan as before: take separate routes back, stagger our timing, so no one suspects—
[The door closes; May is gone.]

---

Skye: Wait, a telekinetic? I thought they didn't exist.
Coulson: We've never verified one. That's why we're going to Batesville: to conduct an Index Asset Evaluation and Intake.
Skye: Does that mean we talk to her and see if she has powers?
Coulson: Basically.
Skye: Well, that needs a better name. Less IRS, more...better. Something like the Welcome Wagon.
Coulson: I want you to pay close attention on this one, Skye. It's an opportunity to learn how to deal with someone with new-found abilities.
Skye: It's not like I've never done this before. I found Mike Peterson before you did.
Coulson: Remember how that went? This is a chance to see how it's done when it's done right.
Skye: How many people like this have you encountered?
Coulson: A handful. There's not that many people on the Index.
Skye: They must wig out when they see the SHIELD trucks roll up.
Coulson: Each case is different. Some people are in complete denial that there's anything unusual about them. It's a delicate process, and from all reports, this sounds like a particularly sensitive situation.

---

Simmons: Sir, the Department of Energy's declared the particle acceleration lab too dangerous to enter.
Fitz: But the good news is, we still think we can retrieve the disaster event data from the instruments.
Simmons: We'll determine the cause and see if there's any correlation between telekinesis spontaneously forming, and a particle accelerator exploding.
Coulson: Well, it does use giant magnets to fire billions of subatomic particles into their anti-particles at the speed of light to create miniature Big Bangs, so...seems like a good place to start.
[FitzSimmons look surprised.]
Coulson: I read.

---

Skye: I'll try not to mention Big Bangs when we talk to Hutchins about the explosion.
Coulson: You'll stay in the car. This is a delicate situation, we don't know what kind of danger this woman poses, so I'll make initial contact with Agents Ward and May.
May: Wheels up in five. Better strap in.
Skye: It's a delicate situation so you're bringing along Warm and Fuzzy?

---

Simmons: We don't believe that people have telekinetic powers, do we?
Fitz: Well, May was forced to sedate her. The woman made a police car move...with her mind.
Simmons: There's no principle that would support—
Fitz: —telekinesis. Not yet. But we did believe for a bit. Remember? Freshman year, when Sally Weber made the books fall off the table in Neurobiology?
Simmons: Ah, well, that was a particularly cruel prank.
Fitz: You screamed like a girl.
Simmons: I am a girl!
Fitz: You know, that's the one drawback of graduating three years early, we never got to pull any freshman pranks on anyone else.
Simmons: Hmm...Fitz...Skye never went to the Academy. She's a freshman.
Fitz: A wide-eyed little freshman.
Simmons: And, being pranked is an integral part of becoming a SHIELD agent.
Fitz: Well, mandatory, really.
Simmons: Why not give her the full SHIELD Academy experience?
Fitz: It would be unjust to deny her such a thing.

---

May: How is she?
Coulson: The dendrotoxin's wearing off. She'll be awake soon, scared, in a strange room. Our next interaction with her is crucial to gaining her trust. Which is why I want you there.
May: Are you sure that's a good idea?
Coulson: If Miss Hutchins is gonna believe anything we say, she needs to know we're not hiding things from her. Which means you, explaining the situation.
Ward: What if that doesn't calm her down? What if that makes her more agitated?
May: Then he definitely wants me in there.
Coulson: Pretty much.
Ward: I'll observe from out here.
Coulson: And I'll lose the tie. If she is telekinetic, I don't want a noose around my neck.

---

Simmons: Well, that's...odd. My God...Fitz, look at this...what are we seeing here? It's as if the explosion tore open some sort of window to—
Tobias: To Hell!

---

Ward: Did the girl do this to us, sir?
Coulson: We believe Miss Hutchins is the victim here. Our theories about her powers have been disproved.
Ward: By who?
Simmons: I saw a ghost. I know how it sounds, but a man attacked me and then he disappeared.
May: Did you get a good look at him?
Simmons: He dematerialized!
Coulson: May, run your systems checks. Is the Cage still shielded?
May: Most of the power's dedicated to it.
Coulson: This man or whatever he is has been tormenting Miss Hutchins. The Cage might be the one thing protecting her now. We'll inform her.
Skye: Sir, can it be me? To talk to Hannah? Her life has been turned upside-down and we stuck her in a nightmare box. She thinks she's being punished. Can I please be the one to deliver the good news?
Ward: That a non-corporeal madman is hunting her?
Skye: Again, I think it'd be better coming from anyone else, really.
Coulson: All right.

---

Simmons: Thank God, where have you been?!
Fitz: I have been locked in a closet freaking out, thanks to you two geniuses.
Simmons: That wasn't us.
Fitz: Well then, who was it?
Ward: We found Fitz.
May: Good, we'll need him. Looks like the main problem is in Avionics Bay Two. He took out all our systems.
Fitz: Who's she talking about?
Ward: Shh.
May: Grab your equipment and get in there. I'm going to power down flight controls to conserve energy, and then go defend the Cage door. In case this ghost comes knocking.
Fitz: Did she just say ghost?

---

[Tobias knocks out the emergency transceiver.]
Coulson: 1990s technology at its best.

---

Skye: Hannah?
Hannah: Who's there?
Skye: My name is Skye, we haven't met yet.
Hannah: We crashed, didn't we? Are you all hurt? I'm so sorry—
Skye: No! No, no, no, we're okay. Whatever's happening, it's not your fault. We were wrong. But you need to stay in that room so that you're safe. Something...bad is out here.
Hannah: Demons.
Skye: I don't know what it is.
Hannah: Do you believe in God?
Skye: Honestly? Not really.
Hannah: Well, I do. And I know that he's punishing me. And I deserve it.
Skye: No. No you don't. No one does. I...had a few nuns around me growing up and they would talk like that, scaring kids with stories of God's wrath. It made me not want to believe.
[May listens from around the corner.]
Skye: The only words that stuck with me were something Sister McKenna said, from the Bible, I think. She said, "God is love." It's simple and a little sappy but...that's the version I like. God is love. The thing that holds us together. And if that's true, I don't think He would punish you for making a mistake. I think He'd forgive a mistake.
Hannah: I want to believe that. I do.
[May approaches the door.]
May: I'll stand guard now. Coulson needs help with the emergency transceiver.
Skye: I'd rather stay here, for a while, at—
May: It needs to get done, not discussed. That's an order.
Skye: [to Hannah] I'll be nearby if you need me, okay? [to May] Try not to hurt her any more than you already have, Agent May.

---

Simmons: He thinks it's Hell, but I think it's an alien world. Fitz, it was stunning!
Fitz: Well, there were reports from London after the spaceship landed, of multiple portals opening. Thor passing between worlds.
Ward: You think that's what they were researching at that lab?
Simmons: Trying to create another portal, yes.
Fitz: Failing, until a malfunction produced a burst of energy.
Simmons: This "ghost" is a man trapped between our universe and another. Perhaps that's how all ghosts are. It's a simple explanation, really.
Ward: "Simple" would be a relative term, in this case.

---

Skye: Seems like a hardware issue, not firmware. I should be with Hannah, anyway. No wonder she keeps screaming in there—you keep sending in the Cavalry, you're bound to get a reaction like that.
Coulson: Don't call her that.
Skye: Why not? No normal person can shoot a hundred Bahrainians—
Coulson: That's not how it went down.
Skye: Whatever, twenty. I just, I don't understand—
Coulson: She didn't have a gun. None of us did. And it wasn't a rescue, or assault, whatever they say at the Academy these days. We were the Welcome Wagon. And it went south.
Skye: How many—?
Coulson: Plenty. A civilian girl and a few of our guys were stuck inside a building being held by the followers of this gifted individual. Or worshipers...we never found out.
Skye: May did.
Coulson: She...took it upon herself to get them out. Said she could fix the problem. So...she went in. Crossed off the enemy force. Didn't say how.
Skye: Did she lose anyone in there?
Coulson: Herself. May used to be different. She was always quiet, she just... She was warm. Fearless in a different way, getting in trouble. Pulling pranks. Thought rules were meant to be broken. Sound familiar? But when she walked out of that building...it was like that part of her was gone. I tried to comfort her, but she wouldn't tell me what went down in there.
Skye: What did you say?
Coulson: I said the words I thought she needed to hear.
Skye: That's why you want her on the plane. To see if that person is still in there somewhere.

---

[May leads Hannah into the woods.]
Hannah: What are you going to do?!
May: Fix the problem.

---

Coulson: We gotta find a way out of here.
Skye: Any of this crap still work?

---

May: I don't mean to scare you, I just need to use you as bait.
Hannah: Well, that's comforting.
May: To draw him out. Away from my people.
Hannah: Then what will you do?
May: Whatever I have to.

---

[Coulson's vintage watch-communicator is set to blow the door lock.]
Coulson: They only made twenty, I think.

---

Fitz: So we believe that this man is responsible for the blast.
Coulson: Skye said she thinks he's the worker who filed all the reports.
Skye: Tobias Ford. It looks like him.
Simmons: It makes no sense for a man to complain about safety issues whilst causing them! Another theory is—
Ward: Theories don't matter. Only facts. And the fact is, a bullet will take you out of whatever world you're in. Any idea which direction May could have taken her?
Simmons: We'll deploy the golden retrievers, they're in here.
[Simmons opens the closet door, and the rigged-up gas mask and mop pop out. Everyone screams.]
Simmons: Fitz! This is no time for childish nonsense like this!
Fitz: Pranking was your idea. And obviously, I rigged this little beauty before I knew there was a dimension-jumping psychopath in the mix.
Skye: Wait, childish. This guy is childish!
Coulson: What are you getting at?

---

Skye: He wanted her to notice him. Why would he file a complaint to her office when there was nothing wrong and then cause an actual safety issue himself?
Simmons: To get her fired?
Skye: To get her attention. To spend time with him. Think about it, he scared the guy who was harassing her at the gas station, he tried to hit you with a cop car.
Coulson: When we took her into custody.
Ward: Yeah, he's not trying to hurt her.
Coulson: He's trying to protect her.
Skye: He likes her.

---

May: Tell him I won't hurt you.
Hannah: Tobias, wait! She's a friend!
Tobias: Hannah—
Hannah: You have to stop. Please.
May: Listen—we believe you're trapped between two worlds. This world, and—
Tobias: —and Hell. I'm being dragged to Hell for what I did.
Hannah: What did you do?
Tobias: Just loosened a few bolts, and then you'd visit. It was the best part of my day. I'm sorry, I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt.
Hannah: Oh, no...Tobias...how could you?
Tobias: I killed them. I know. And even worse, everyone started blaming you, I tried, I tried to stop them—
Hannah: But you hurt more people!
Tobias: I was trying to protect you from them. Trying to atone for my sin. Hannah, please, maybe if you forgive me, I won't go to Hell.
Hannah: Only God can forgive you.
May: And he won't. You can't undo what's been done. That will be with you, forever. But trying to hold onto this life, clinging to the person you thought you could be—that's Hell. And you're dragging her down with you.
[The golden retrievers arrive.]
May: You have to let go. Before my people come and make you do it. If you care about her, and I know you do...let—her—go.
[Coulson, Ward and Skye arrive.]
May: Let the girl go, Tobias. Let the girl go.
[Tobias vanishes.]

---

Coulson: What did you say to him?
May: The same words you said to me in Bahrain.

---

[Coulson is mourning his wrecked watch-communicator.]
Skye: Can Fitz repair it?
Coulson: Naw, this one's a lost cause.
Skye: But May isn't. If anyone can bring her around, it's you. You know what makes people tick—pun intended.
Coulson: So do you. You see the good in them. You were a friend to Hannah, can't wait to get inside May's head, and you figured out Tobias without even trying.
Skye: Guess I'm full of surprises.
Coulson: But this isn't one of them. I wanted you paying close attention to the Index Asset Evaluation and Intake process because someday, you'll be really good at it. Even the best.
Skye: Thanks, A.C.
Coulson: Maybe you'll get to rename it.
Skye: Good, because that name is super stupid.
Coulson: I know.

---

[Skye enters the cockpit.]
Skye: Mind if I keep you company?
[May doesn't say anything; she just continues working the controls.]
Skye: Cool.
[Skye climbs into the co-pilot's chair.]

Last edited by Wild Pikachu; 12-02-2013 at 10:54 PM
Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for posting some quotes!