Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Crane being home didn't make sense either. Shouldn't he have had surgery at least?
Old 10-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
Strange how some of us love it more than ever and some hate it?

I don't think it's all that strange - people are drawn in by different things in shows.

For me personally, it was the Headless Horseman, the show being a twisted adaptation of Sleepy Hollow, and being so heavily supernatural and atmospheric that were my initial main draws.

I quickly fell for the characters - Abbie, Jenny, Ichabod (originally, I have a rocky relationship with that character, now ), and Irving. And of course, I loved Headless from moment one.

For me this "reset" did nothing to fix the show - as of now, three episodes in, I think it's just further broken it. With it seemingly becoming so procedural, losing the atmosphere and tone, in combination with what I feel is a lack of world building/plotting/storytelling.... Even though I still have love for some of the characters....those things damage the show for me.

I'm a fantasy/horror/supernatural/sci-fi genre girl. Grew up on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy had the characters. The character relationships. It also had the mythos. The storytelling. The execution of those stories. It wasn't perfect, but I would be lying if I didn't say I wish the Sleepy writers had done for this show what the Buffy team did for that one.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by violasghost (View Post)
Majorly phoning it in and we know she is capable of stellar so what gives? And then to top it off, in-between Crane being at deaths door, she goes to meet her superior for drinks? Talk about stone cold.
I thought that scene with Daniel was very oddly placed and further drew attention to Abbie's lack of a reaction to Crane's [rather bad] injury.

The thing is, I could get behind the idea of Abbie being distant, secretly being more upset with his up and leaving than she let on. Making her reactions a mix of her deeply caring yet being distant enough emotionally that she can't quite work up to what her original reaction (circa Sin Eater) would've been. If I thought the writers would really go there. Allow that to happen. Develop it and deal with it. Let them air that conflict. I mean, conflict in these types of shows are often what help make them go round, and you can get true character development out of said conflict - true character growth and relationship growth. If you write it correctly.

But I don't believe for a second the writers would really go there as is (my guess is they would be afraid of showing too much conflict with the Witnesses), so I was just left shaking my head at how off Nicole seemed to be/play it.

I mean, unless it wasn't supposed to be that serious of a wound. But they needed to stage it differently/tell Mison to play it differently if that was the case.

~Kat

Last edited by TheCheshireKitten; 10-17-2015 at 03:51 PM
Old 10-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was a good episode, not too sure how i feel about Pandora yet though. Haven't liked her so far.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Elite Fan

Does it occur to anyone that the reason Abbie was COLD as its been put. is because she is trying to emotionally distance herself from those around her. She has some seriously deep seeded abandonment issues and Crane being gone for 9 months probably exacerbated them. No word, no nothing. Just gone.

I mean, you have her father who up and left when they were six, not a word, nothing, and then Abbie does some poking around and finds him alive and well (I'm assuming he's not homeless at this point) And he probably never gave Abbie or Jenny a second thought this whole time. Yeah, that does a heart good.

Then her mother goes to the funny farm abandoning them in the system. (yes she was plagued by all manner of demons, but she still left them, even though it was to protect them)

Corbin dies, leaving her (Not by choice.)

Ichabod is taken by the Mason's, and then makes the choice to drink poison, nearly leaving Abbie again.

Ichabod leaving again after killing his wife. (yes, he needed to pull some things together cause... well... he killed his wife. Understandable)

I'm sure there were many more instances where Abbie has been abandoned, these are just the ones we've been shown. When people keep leaving, the natural response is to clamp down on emotions so tightly so you can't feel them strongly, so, in theory, you can't get hurt. Maybe this is what Abbie is doing to protect herself from the pain, the disappointment of being left.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChakotaysLover (View Post)
Does it occur to anyone that the reason Abbie was COLD as its been put. is because she is trying to emotionally distance herself from those around her.
I sincerely hope they explain Abbie's reasoning for her behavior towards Crane this season. I think a little bit would go a long way at this point.

I just worry that some of this is more personal due to the crazy drama behind the scenes last season. Hopefully not.

BTW, I think the history chick who is hitting on Crane is evil.

Also, I loved the parallel they made between Jack the Ripper and the loser/nerdy office guy. Although this is a hot button issue today with terrorists and mass shooters fitting into the archetype of the geeky loner loser, I respected SH for having the guts to go there and tell this story. Maybe more awareness will help.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Exhausted from work and haven't had time to post, but managed these two (copied and pasted from PTV).

I am finding the interactions between Crane and Abbie really interesting this season. Crane seems so much more relaxed and comfortable. I mean, he still has that formality and stiffness from his time and upbringing, but around Abbie, he just seems so mellow and relaxed and content. Abbie, however, is not. She seems more reserved and she is obviously conflicted over Crane and his return. She had nine months doing her thing for herself and her future. Now Crane comes back, evil returns and she's back to square one. BUT what did Pandora say at the end of the episode - she fears losing Crane, fears fighting alone and BEING alone. That shot of Beharie's face at the end, where you knew that she is totally conflicted about Crane, about them, about the Witness obligations, about this person who she feels to close and connected to. It's not even shipping, it's just very interesting and a new dynamic that I see.

I read elsewhere someone else's theory that everytime Ichabbie had a "moment", a flower would bloom on Pandora's tree. Because I am a sucker, I rewatched the Pandora parts of the first three episodes to confirm that.

Nope. But what I did discover...okay, we all know the tree's "nourishment" is fear. It's a Fear Tree. So any time a demon that Pandora released was able to pull fear out of these people, her tree (or a blossom) grew.

At the end of Blood and Fear, when Crane said "I am more grateful that we found each...one again." Okay, it could be initally misintrepreted as shipping (as I did). But I don't think it is.

He says that, then the show cuts to Abbie, and she looks - I don't know, like she had a disturbing revelation or something. That look I think was this: It was fear that Crane was back in her life. Because him being back in her life means that the demons will come back, the fighting as Witnesses comes back, the disruption of her life comes back. Fear that she can never "live the life she dreamed of". Right after that, we have the shot of the Pensieve*, with Abbie's face swimming in the water. Then Pandora smiles, and a rose bloom opens.

Abbie is fearful. She's fearful of the implications that Crane's return brings to her. The tree needs fear. That fear in Abbie made the rose bloom. Does that make sense?

* People over at PTV were dubbing the small little water filled pond of Pandora's that showed her victims/targets as a Pensieve. Pretty appropriate, since last episode they had "Dementors" sucking secrets from it's victims. Apparently Cliff Campbell and co are a HP fans.

~ I like my Schadenfreude with a dash of smug and a side of snark ~

Last edited by HalcyonDays; 10-17-2015 at 09:02 PM
Old 10-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

ChakotaysLover

I concur. I don't think Abbie is cold in this episode. I think she is pensive and rightly so. In addition, now-she is an FBI agent. This is her dream job, something she has always wanted and Crane shows up out of the blue after Nine Months to remind her she is First and Foremost a Witness. I think she was and still is trying to distance herself from all of this and I think she is conflicted. So much is happening and fast. Finding her Dad, Crane back, Danny back in her life. And, in SH the demonic is back in full force. She has a lot to deal with and Abbie tries very hard to hide her emotions/feelings. I am sure she is fearful and probably afraid she may lose Jenny and even Joe at some point. I think because of some of Crane's (some of which I understand) past actions--Abbie doesn't completely trust Crane, and is holding her emotions/true feelings toward him very close to her chest. IMO, everything Abbie has been holding inside (particularly her feelings for Crane and, his feelings for her will come to a head this season) I personally can't wait and I am excited again re: SH and look forward to it each week. I like the thought of Abbie having a love interest (Danny) and Jenny (Joe) and even Ichabod (???) as long as the end game is Ichabbie. I also like Shannyn as Pandora. She is so wicked and possesses this human quality (yes, like Henry had) which shows how truly evil she is. I don't mind this at all--she is not related to Crane and we don't have to deal with the CFD. Still figuring out how I feel about Besty--I like the actress Nikki Reed , just not sure yet how I feel about Betsy's place on the show. I add my concern as others have regarding Fox not promoting SH as we feel they should. I really hope this changes and that our ratings go up. I'm hopeful. Perhaps after the Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover we will see a consistent change in our ratings going higher. I hope so--like most of us--I love being a Sleepy Head, IMO, we have the best fanbase on TV.

Last edited by msgeemd; 10-17-2015 at 11:24 PM
Old 10-18-2015, 05:58 AM
Master Fan

we are NEVER going to go back to the epicness that was the season 1
I enjoy the new season,
I am sure Ichabbie will be canon this season
Old 10-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays (View Post)

At the end of Blood and Fear, when Crane said "I am more grateful that we found each...one again." Okay, it could be initally misintrepreted as shipping (as I did). But I don't think it is.

He says that, then the show cuts to Abbie, and she looks - I don't know, like she had a disturbing revelation or something. That look I think was this: It was fear that Crane was back in her life. Because him being back in her life means that the demons will come back, the fighting as Witnesses comes back, the disruption of her life comes back. Fear that she can never "live the life she dreamed of". Right after that, we have the shot of the Pensieve*, with Abbie's face swimming in the water. Then Pandora smiles, and a rose bloom opens.
I've been debating internally over what the rose bloom meant at the end of the episode and you summed up one of my theories perfectly. The first few episodes have really given us a glimpse into what Abbie wanted her life to be and how the entrance of Crane and the discovery of them both being Witnesses, threw everything upside down.

I know there were some people who said she looked emotionless during her scenes with Crane but I thought otherwise. I thought she initially was riddled with fear when he was stabbed and pulled herself together to remain calm even though she wasn't. And the end look after Crane confessed that he was happy they found each other again.... her face was great. She looked pained. Even sorrowful.

I don't think she has truly forgiven him for leaving her. She doesn't like that she can't live the life she always imagined for herself because she is a Witness. And I think she fights off the feelings she has for Crane because she doesn't want to depend on him or care so much about him.

Another poster put that this episode was the first time that they truly saw that Abbie's feelings have grown deeper. I concur. She fights them, but I saw something in that last scene that let me know they are there.
There is nothing that can take the pain away. But eventually, you will find a way to live with it. There will be nightmares. And everyday when you wake up, it will be the first thing you think about. Until one day, it’s the second. ~ Raymond β€œRed" Reddington, The Blacklist
Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Stranger Things

Abbie and Ichabod | Blood and Fear
our-destinies-entwined

BRICS
πŸ™πŸ•―οΈ
πŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ πŸ•ŠοΈ#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 10-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...