Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote Thread #3 - “You’re already inspirational. Just remember to share it.”

#3 Quote Thread

credit

Future titles

- Because "make sure you know what I’m saying before you try to tear me down." - Hedwig
- I talk a lot when I’m not singing.
- It takes a lifetime to make an overnight success.
- It’s a wild world, Hollywood. I’m lucky to be a part of it, but it’s crazy
- I’m almost not really in charge of… [his path and his future]
- Love is all about timing and circumstance
- If I'm associated with Blaine my whole life then hey cool, lucky me
-

{ ... i am the one you fell in love with. who promises you to do it right.
... who won’t lie to you anymore. i’ll make you as happy as you deserve to be ... }

Steffi

Last edited by soulmatejunkee; 07-24-2015 at 02:39 PM
Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT
Old 07-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Total Fan

Perfect OP!
Old 07-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

It is beautiful
Old 07-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Total Fan

Darren Criss: How to Design a Superior Online Retail Brand in a Saturated Market

PSFK interviews the Glee star about how The Motley men's grooming site successfully caters to experiential consumers
Simone Spilka - 7 july 2015

In the world of men’s grooming, product options are infinite with the online market saturated with artisan beard oil, trendy razors and subscription-based services. Recent years have proved that consumers (read: modern and hip) are seeking out their essential accessories from cool lifestyle brands that they trust rather than from the local CVS. Riding this trend is The Motley, an online retailer for high-quality men’s grooming products that emphasizes customer experience, superior products and quality content.

The Motley, founded by brother and sister Matthew and Madison Ruggieri, attracted Glee star Darren Criss as an investor and partner almost five years ago. PSFK speaks with the artist for an exclusive interview about brand development for online retail, why he’s not into subscription-based services and how to cater to experimental customers.

PSFK: You have an avid involvement in product testing, lab visits and press. Can you tell me about your interest and involvement in the day-to-day business and branding side?

Darren Criss: It’s a great experience to go out to our lab which is just outside of LA and bridge that divide between the products on the shelf and the local factory where they are being created in real time. It’s so interesting to see and participate in the behind-the-scenes part of how Motley products are made and the specificity to which these technicians are able to incorporate our feedback from product testing rounds. Consumers can easily see the attention to detail that we pay to the design and branding of our products, but that attention to detail goes beyond the label and packaging.

By virtue of the people I meet and the things that I’m exposed to in my other life, I’m able to help build our company. I’m almost like a diplomat, creating opportunities for connection. Whether it’s working with Jesse Tyler Ferguson to collaborate with his Tie the Knot charity or connecting us to the folks at Todd Snyder City Gym, who became our first wholesale account, I’m slowly but surely working with my partners and the co-founders of the company, Matt and Madison Ruggieri, to get us to the next level.

PSFK: In what ways is The Motley leading men’s grooming and skincare? What distinguishes you from other grooming companies?

DC: First off, when The Motley launched there was very little in the way of other men’s grooming-specific retailers. The Motley is different because we’re not your warehouse website. Our small, curated selection really separates us from other services.

Men love having options but hate having to choose. I think we make it so that finding awesome products isn’t overwhelming. Going to a chain store and looking down an aisle at 100 different products can make you go cross-eyed. Sometimes less is more, and that’s part of our appeal.

PSFK: Why are product knowledge and prompt customer service central to the business model? Why is this specifically important for online retailers?

DC: We’re focused on product knowledge because we think educating men about their skin and the products available to them is key. They’re more likely to buy a product that they understand the benefits of, and it’s our job to help them learn what works well for their needs.

The demographic of guys who are interested in grooming are naturally inquisitive, and that’s the kind of person we want on the site. That’s why we make so much information available on the site through articles, consumer reviews or via live chat.

Prompt customer service is essential to providing a good experience for our customers because it’s what gives them confidence to make a purchase online. If a customer feels like ordering is going to be hassle-free, there’s no reason not to shop online. It’s all about making the customer feel at ease and excited about the experience.

PSFK: Can you speak to the sustainability of the products sold on The Motley? Are there any products in particular that deserve a spotlight for sustainability or design?

DC: We can speak to the sustainability of our own products: Port Products, Buckler’s and our colognes and candles. I’m really proud of the fact that the Buckler’s line is all natural and uses organic ingredients. All of the design is done in house by our team and we use glass and PET plastic for our packaging.This is huge for me. I was born and raised in San Francisco where composting and recycling were actual things that I partook in on a day-to-day basis. I’ve always been proactive about recycling and sustainability – I’m the kind of guy who’d carry around an empty bottle all day before throwing it away – so using glass and PET plastic is just an extension of that ethos.

PSFK: The Motley just celebrated its fifth birthday. How has the market shifted in that time, especially with the rise of subscription-based services?

DC: When The Motley started five years ago, there was no dialogue whatsoever happening around men’s grooming. Now all of the beauty brands are turning their attention to men. We’ve been here five years, and we’re in this for the long haul. We didn’t just suddenly say, “Hey, men’s products are popular, let’s find something for that market.”

Subscription-based services in general have definitely boomed, but we are of the mindset that most men don’t want to sample different grooming products every month. You should always be open to elevating the experience of your products, but once I find something that works, I’m not going to switch it up just for the sake of being different. We’ve found that our man prefers to quickly find a routine that works well for them and stick to it. It makes them extremely loyal and reliable customers.

PSFK: What makes The Motley “superior grooming” to just “grooming.” Is it price point or other variables?

DC: Our selection of products is carefully curated by our team. Again, we’re not a warehouse site. We only carry products that we believe work well, have great ingredients and that our customer base is looking for. It’s not about price point but quality. And we offer a full quality experience.

Modern consumers are experiential consumers. We’d pay more money for a memorable trip in a hot air balloon that’s piloted by a guy with a handlebar mustache and suspenders, who’ll tell you stories in a Spanish accent, than for a fur coat or a fancy car.

Look at Airbnb or Uber: they have a built-in rating system to help quantify the value of the experience. That’s why we put so much effort into every aspect of shopping on our site.

People who are hip to The Motley are interested in that superior experience. It starts with the process of using the site and being able to ask questions, and the aesthetic of the products themselves, how they’re packaged and how they arrive to your doorstep with a personalized touch. The fact that the products themselves are superior is just another layer. Sure, it’s “just grooming,” but it doesn’t have to be. And we don’t take grooming lightly.

The Motley is about where the routine stops and the experience begins, and we give you more than just a grooming routine, we give you a grooming experience.

PSFK: Is brick-and-mortar on the horizon?

DC: No plans in the near future. We’re focusing on constantly enhancing the online experience for now.

PSFK Purple Pioneers is a new series that will showcase creators who harness their status as a vehicle for social action, delving into the motivation and impact behind their impassioned side projects.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Boy can talk

... who won’t lie to you anymore. i’ll make you as happy as you deserve to be ... }

Steffi
Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Total Fan

Yeah It's actually interesting.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

All his answers are so detailed
Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Because he can not stand to be misunderstood

Steffi
Old 07-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

No he cannot and I totally get that
Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

"Hopefully somebody sees me in Hedwig and says, ‘Hey! Why don’t you do this project!’ […] I love, love, love writing. I’m not saying I’m particularly good at it, but I do love doing it. So for better or for worse, I think in my free time after Hedwig I would really like to go back to it, whether it’s cleaning up old stuff or creating new stuff. At the end of the day I am a mercenary. Variety is the spice of life, so I like changing things up and being able to shift and flex as many different muscles as much as possible because it just makes everything else stronger."

Nah, nope, that's unacceptable. I need him to have plans.
What am I supposed to do with my life when his Hedwig run is over?
Come ooooon!

"I was in Los Angeles for the first time as an adult, by myself, and I was in a mall and it was really sunny and I couldn’t see because I have really sensitive eyes. And I went to a kiosk and the first sunglasses I saw, I was like, ‘Oh sweet pink! Those are fun!’ So I got those, and I just wore those around and they just took on a life of their own."

This is cute
And funny and yes the pink sunglassed are his thing.

"I see the U.N outside every night! People are like, ‘Darren! Darren! Please take a photo. I came over from New Zealand!’ And I’m like, ‘Wow! That’s so cool!’ And then the next person is from like Mars, and I go, ‘Oh my god!’"

Steffi
Old 07-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Total Fan

Those are great quotes! Are they from an interview?
Old 07-10-2015, 02:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah the Interview with the photoshoot

Here you go

Steffi
Old 07-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Total Fan

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

That is so awesome love all those quotes

Thanks for the link