Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old Dog New Tricks [5x19] episode discussion thread

Old Dog New Tricks [5x19] Episode Discussion

airdate: May 6th, 2014

EPISODE DESCRIPTION
Rachel hires Santana as her publicist and creates a charity for rescue animals in an effort to fix her damaged reputation. Elsewhere, Kurt stars as the title character in a production of "Peter Pan." Series star Chris Colfer wrote the episode.

PROMOS
Promo

RULES
+Respect each others opinions.
+Please do not quote a previous post with the intent to argue or insult.
+No bashing of producers, writers, directors, actors, fanbases etc. is allowed.
+Have fun!

I'd like to remind everyone to take a good look at the rules before posting in this thread, it's very important
for everyone to respect each others opinions, everyone should feel free to express how they feel about
the episode as long as it's done in a respectful manner.There is no need for unnecessary bashing and it will
not be tolerated.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Elite Fan

thanks Emma
| icon | Martyna |
Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Total Fan

Chris Colfer@chriscolfer9m
I must have ruined 100 takes laughing at Tim Conway. His comedic genius is legendary! #OldDogNewTricks http://instagram.com/p/nq9EIaNdXu/

Chris Colfer ‏@chriscolfer · 1h
June Squibb, Tim Conway, and Billy Dee Williams...the best cast of Peter Pan in history! #OldDogNewTricks http://instagram.com/p/nqyX5xtdYn/

Lea Michele ‏@msleamichele · 8m
So excited for tonight's episode of #Glee #OldDogNewTricks written by the amazingly talented @chriscolfer! Tune in tonight at 8pm on FOX!
Chris Colfer ‏@chriscolfer · 5m
Poor @msleamichele was dragged through the mud in tonight's episode! Literally...by dogs! #OldDogNewTricks
Lea Michele ‏@msleamichele · 3m
@chriscolfer only because I love you and would do anything for you! And it was hilarious! So proud of you! #OldDogNewTricks

Last edited by MarieSD; 05-06-2014 at 03:24 PM
Old 05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

Peter Pan and old people look perfect together
| icon | Martyna |
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Total Fan

I really liked this episode. It was light on the drama and heavy on the entertaining.

It was nice to see Rachel out of that theater. Trying to clean her reputation with a dog business brought some humor and gave her time to reflect.

When Mercedes entered her apartment and saw the mess she really laid into Sam. They sounded like an old married couple.
Their discussion was very real and honest. It was nice to hear Sam remind us of how he took care of his family. Mercedes was understabding and I'm glad they found the dog a good home. They have some major career decisions to make in 5.20.

We saw very little of Klaine, but the little we saw, was without any major drama, thank goodness.

This was definitely a Kurt episode, and rightly so. It had humor, poignancy, and told a touching little story. However, I sensed there was more story Chris wanted to tell, so for that reason I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Part II to this episode next year.

Last edited by MarieSD; 05-06-2014 at 07:47 PM
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's good to hear I will watch this as soon as I can
Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Elite Fan

I started watchinf this ep right after I woke up, but I fell asleep during

and I had a dream abput my grandpa, so I guess that's a complement for Chris I don't know

but then I watched it again while eating breakfast and I liked it

Rachel was kinda anoying during the ep and Kurt was so right, for once it was about him
I just wish he would get a real big chance like Rachel or Blaine
| icon | Martyna |
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Total Fan

Fun Facts:

Last edited by MarieSD; 05-07-2014 at 05:55 PM
Old 05-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

"Old dogs, new tricks" ... written by Chris Colfer

Thank god this is just us, otherwise people would jump on me for saying this... that episode didn't impress me much.

It's wasn't bad, just to be clear, not at all! And it was about time that Kurt got something to do and there was some really nice and funny stuff in it. I loved the scene with Marty, Kurt and the chair, I really laughed about that.

But look... in the end it's just another filler. Nothing changed for Kurt. He played Peter Pan and got friends with old people - whom we'll probably never see again. Hallelujah. So either he decides to start taking care of old people and make sure they have fun or it was just a moment of fun for him. Which he deserved to have, of course. But... so what?

I loved it that he finally called Rachel out about their friendship. I didn't like it that he called her in the end. Sure he was in the "audience", but why the heck did he call her? No, just no!

I'm also not sure if I would've needed the sidestory about Maggie and her daugher.

Peter Pan and flying around was well done and I can imagine that Chris had a lot of fun doing that.

Rachel and Santana... well... no. That's not enough for me. I don't think Rachel really got anything out of it. She might have had her moment, but as soon as someone is going to sugar her little butt again, she's her old self.

I liked Samcedes. Especially Sam... but that's nothing new right?
McCounaghey was sweet and pretty boys with puppies...

I really liked it that Sam finally stood up for himself and told Mercedes that he's not a baby she has to take care of, just because he's the smartest boy on earth. Yes, Baby! And that she told him that they're simply not in the position to take care of the dog was also very mature and good. And the dog, the dog was like... OMG!

Seriously

The Songs... hm... not mine...

So, it was okay, the writing wasn't bad at all, really not. But I was hoping for Chris to be able to push Kurt somewhere, you know? I don't know if he wasn't allowed to, since I don't know what the writers do have in mind for Kurt in Season 6, but... this way it was just another filler.

{ ... i am the one you fell in love with. who promises you to do it right.
... who won’t lie to you anymore. i’ll make you as happy as you deserve to be ... }

Steffi
Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 AM
Elite Fan

I think it's just that Chris sees the world in a very specific way.
Ha made Kurt make people who don't have much joy in their lifes happy.
We want a huge career for Kurt but Chris probably doesn't think it's a key to happiness.
He doean't like the spotlight and never looks for it himself,
it's just I that Kurt used to crave spotlight alot so it's kinda weird
| icon | Martyna |
Old 05-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't want or need a huge career for Kurt, absolutely not.
But it would be nice if he finally would get something - like a way to follow. I mean, what does he want?

{ ... i am the one you fell in love with. who promises you to do it right.
... who won’t lie to you anymore. i’ll make you as happy as you deserve to be ... }

Steffi
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Total Fan

I agree, it didn't add much to the overall series so it just filled in some gaps. I assumed Chris wasn't involved in the creation of the episodes before and after his, so he wrote a filler. The more I think about it, if the episode was separated into three segments - Rachel, Kurt, Sam/Mercedes - each of those could have been placed in almost any of the NY episodes, with a bit of tweaking.

Kurt's nursing home segment was about Kurt and had little connection to the others, until the end.
Rachel's image make over with the dogs had little connection to the others, until the end.
Sam and Mercedes could have gotten a dog from a shelter and their segment could have continued just fine without the others.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

I finally saw the episode and I loved it

Chris did an amazing job with the writing I am glad Kurt got more scenes he hasn't really had focus for a while!

I loved him as Peter Pan and Blaine being there for him as he wouldn't want to be anywhere else

I loved Blaine helping out Rachel too