Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Moderator Support Team

thanks for posting that
Old 02-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Sarah Rafferty, Gabriel Macht & creator Aaron Korsh will be headlining #Suits UCLA college tour 2/6/2014 look out!
x
Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Question: I love TV and I really like the USA Network shows. Particularly Burn Notice (when it was still airing) and Suits is my current favorite. I was wondering: Why do you think a show like Suits doesn't get the pop-culture attention that a show like Mad Men does? They both have great characters and devoted fan bases. Does Suits lack a special gimmick like Mad Men has, since it takes place in the 1960s? — Steve

Matt Roush:
Mad Men gets so much attention not just because of its flashy period setting and how it allows us to look at its characters from the perspective of time — something it shares with Showtime's Masters of Sex, which I feel eclipsed Mad Men last year — but beyond the surface glamour, there's a seriousness of purpose, a novelistic depth that places it alongside other groundbreaking dramas like The Sopranos (where Matthew Weiner cut his teeth). It's way more than a gimmick. Mad Men is a modern classic, winning four consecutive Best Drama Emmys, and while some would argue there's a snob factor to its cultural cachet, the show has earned its place in the pop-culture firmament — although last season, the self-importance got a bit thick even for me. By USA Network's standards, Suits is doing quite well in the buzz marketplace and is nowadays appreciated for being more than a "fake lawyer" high-concept legal drama. There's no shame in being a high-gloss first-rate entertainment, but Suits doesn't seem to be aiming all that much higher — nor perhaps should it. Any show with a procedural element (legal, police, etc.) has an uphill climb being seen by the industry as other than formula, and even though Suits succeeds better than most and has become more gripping and enjoyable by the season, it's never going to be as distinctive and influential as a true original like Mad Men.
Ask Matt: Mindy, S.H.I.E.L.D., Blacklist, Intelligence, Super Bowl Ads - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com
Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Moderator Support Team

thanks for posting the interview
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Loyal Fan

OMG I love that answer about Mad Men. Suits isn't even half as good, and I say this as a fan.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Absolute Fan

I like(d) Madmen and yes, being in the 60s it does bring a certain "je-ne-sais-quoi" to that show, it's charming. But I can't even put in the same category as Suits.
Suits is much more "lighter" (even funnier sometimes!) and you can watch an episode and find it fun even if you haven't seen the episodes before.
My bf cheated on me with Netflix and watched 3 episodes of Mad men without me. I was completely lost and...lost interest. You have (well I!) to be very focus when you watch Mad Men.
Even the drama in Suits is fun!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Moderator Support Team

just realized we needed a new thread

NEW THREAD: http://www.fanforum.com/f401/news-ra.../#post74253900