Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

He's never referenced him directly, but there are a few easter eggs that point to his existence in the MCU. In FFH, Peter has luggage that has the initials BFP which stands for Benjamin Franklin Parker. While no middle name has ever been given to him in the comics, it's known that he was modeled after Benjamin Franklin. And while What If isn't strictly canon, Peter does name Uncle Ben as someone he's lost. Of course the biggest thing that counts against his existence is that Peter has no reaction to the loss of the other Peter's Uncle Ben, not even a 'my Ben died before I was born' and she is not buried next to a Ben Parker at the cemetery unless he has no headstone.

But there's this from the writers during press for the first movie:

Quote:
Where was Uncle Ben?

Some fans have wondered if the Homecoming version of Peter Parker ever had an Uncle Ben, the influential father figure we’ve seen die in both previous Spider-Man film franchises. Wonder no more: There definitely was an Uncle Ben. The line in Homecoming about Aunt May and “all that she’s gone through” is a subtle reference to her late husband.

Goldstein and Daley toyed with including a more overt Ben moment. “We did talk about there being a scene where [May] references him directly,” Daley says. “It was when [Peter] was getting ready for homecoming and the wardrobe she was giving Peter was all Uncle Ben’s clothes. It was a nice moment, but we also knew that it veered away from his arc. If you’re going to talk about someone’s death, you don’t want it to be a throwaway.”

Last edited by miranstarr; 12-23-2021 at 07:00 PM
Old 12-23-2021, 06:47 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah plus he never show grief when it comes to Ben plus I don't think in this one, May was married.. I mean, it seems that she was dating in here and there or having fling w/o actually settle down which she never wanted to do that.. She's free-spirted..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 12-23-2021, 10:34 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saska (View Post)
*** More Spoilers Below***

I didn't want to quote the entire thing you wrote, but again I agree mostly. The only thing I really differ on is, as much as I love the relationships Peter had with Ned and MJ, I don't want them to remember everything. The bleeding heart in me definitely does want that, but the fan of incredible movies doesn't. Tom's Peter Parker had life pretty easy. A great relationship with Aunt May who knew his secret, a perfectly loyal best friend who knew his secret, an amazing girlfriend who new his secret, and a billionaire (Tony/Happy) who knew his secret and funded him with infinite tech. That's all great for a Hallmark Superhero movie, but that isn't Spiderman. I liked the different take on his origin in the MCU, but it always had to get darker. Spiderman is always a tragic story, and Tom's Peter was lacking that. Now the stage is set for the real Spiderman to go forward. Freelancing for the Daily Bugle as a little known kid, taking pictures of the mysterious Spiderman. I don't think he's done with MJ or Ned by any means, but whatever he develops with them going forward will need to involve him juggling his secret identity, because now he has seen how much negatitivity and danger knowing his secret brings them. I hate how dark and tragic the story has gone in some ways, because I am a sucker for happy endings and stories about love, but I also needed it to go this way so we can have so much more Tom Holland as Peter Parker.
As for Uncle Ben, I'm glad the writers confirmed it. It always seemed it was very subtly mentioned and I felt the most obvious was Peter telling Tony his aunt has been thought a lot already too. Since TH was the third rebooted Spiderman, they obviously skipped Uncle Ben getting shot since we saw it twice already lol. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure we would of gotten another scene of that.

Good points in your post, I didn't really think about it that way or Peter having it easy as Spiderman. I guess with it ending this way was a hard reset way to make Peter grow up fast. I guess it also had to be easy for him cause unlike the other two Spiderman movies we still saw him knee deep in high school and still being a kid, but now he's an adult and on his own. We did see how hard it was juggling being a responsible adult and Spiderman in Spiderman 2 and 3, so maybe it's time for TH's Spiderman to go through that. I did watch a spoiler review where the person said they hope Michelle and Ned don't remember and Peter keeps that sacrifice. A part of me can understand some feeling that way since we are now entering the college trilogy I assume but it's just hard for me to let his relationships with MJ and Ned go! I would be fine with them having relationships again but they don't immediately find out he's Spiderman. As long as their in the movies I think I'll be okay, but Michelle is Peter's soulmate and I see them finding their way back to each other.

On a side note, even though everyone knew they were in it it felt SO DAMN GOOD to see Tobey and Andrew again! This made me want a Spiderman movie with all three of them again. I didn't know I needed three Spidermen in my life until now, please bring them back! All The Avengers films, now all the Spidermen together. I never thought I would see things like this in my life, so thank you MCU and Feige! I can die a happy woman now lol.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

That whole sequence at the Statue of Liberty I was like yesssssssssssss!!!!!! And that moment when Spider-Man 3 saved MJ and looked like he was about to cry, my heart broke for him because he couldn't save Gwen. I realllllly need Andrew to get a third movie that has real Marvel participation, not any of this 'in participation with Marvel' crap that means 'Sony is in control and will mess it up again with a bad script and even worse VFX' because holy moly was Electro bad in TASM 2.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:36 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Even though it was so obvious it would happen, I was so happy to see Andrew's Spiderman save Michelle. One of the film's best moments.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

It's so funny cause I need to admit I haven't seen any of the original spidermans I just wasn't as interested. Tom version seemed way more interesting to me cause he is so cute.

But this movie showed them in is such a great like i adore Andrews PP he is adorable he wants big brothers. He loves the other two and when he saved MJ with tears in his eyes , I just wanted to hug him..

I love that yes there was a uncle Ben it is good to know
Old 12-25-2021, 07:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

We need new thread!

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 12-25-2021, 11:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

https://www.fanforum.com/f392/spider...eady-63258557/