Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Hey, everyone! Over at Sebastian's board, we're planning a CA: TFA rewatch for Saturday, time TBD. If anyone's interested in rewatching with us, please come over and let us know when is a good time!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for inviting us to the rewatch, Jackie! I'm not sure about my plans for tomorrow yet, but if you guys decide on a time and I'm home by then I'll try to participate for sure.

Quote:
Ranking All 31 Marvel Comic Book Movies - From Worst To Best

5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

As the final Phase 1 movie before The Avengers, the cinematic introduction of the team’s leader had to be handled carefully. Captain America certainly isn’t the most interesting character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the premise had the potential to come off as a slice of overly-jingoistic Americana. Thankfully, The First Avenger delivered an entertainingly old-school adventure disguised as a superhero origin story.

The all-American values of the titular hero could easily come off as two-dimensional and bland but Chris Evans brings a warm, easy-going charm to the character and is ably supported by a scenery-chewing Hugo Weaving and a feisty Hayley Atwell. The standout supporting cast also features small but important roles for Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, Dominic Cooper and Sebastian Stan. With the story taking place during World War II, The First Avenger instantly differentiated itself from the rest of Marvel’s cinematic offerings and offered something fresh to audiences, both in the narrative and the action scenes. Director Joe Johnston gives the movie a distinctly retro feel, despite some anachronistic technologies, offering something akin to a pulp serial armed with a blockbuster budget.

The First Avenger earned just over 50% of its worldwide grosses from overseas markets, a low number for a high-profile summer tentpole, although the stars-and-stripes nature of the character made the movie a potentially tough sell to international audiences. Still, it opened to a solid $65m domestically and finished with a $370.6m total. The positive reception to this movie plus the continued success of the MCU and a solid marketing campaign will see the upcoming sequel wind up a lot higher.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for posting that, Mee. Though, I don't quite agree with Cap not being the interesting character.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

That was Fran that posted it. I was still at work.

I'm not sure why people always call Cap boring and bland. He is anything but that to me.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oops. Sorry, Fran. I wasn't really paying attention and I'm going to blame it on the fact I've not been feeling very well this.

Cap is my favourite superhero, so I definitely don't think he's boring or bland.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Are you still feeling sick, Sarah?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've had a tummy bug since Sunday, but whatever the doctor gave has helped. So, I'm getting better, but I'm exhausted.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh yuck. Glad you're feeling better.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you.

Watching videos of Seb has, at least, cheered me up.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

And watching the movie will cure you of all ailments.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's very true. Just thinking about it is making me feel better.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 03-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sorry you had to deal with a virus, Sarah. And don't worry, I immediately think of Mee every time Cap comes up, too.

I think a lot of people label Cap less compelling compared to other superheroes because he has a much more "linear" origin story. He was always heroic, even when he had no powers. Tony, Thor, Natasha... they all are "reformed" bad boys and that trope allows you to see a before-and-after in their motivations that you don't get with Steve.
(I love Steve! Just trying to find a reason for the "vanilla" comments he sometimes get)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks. :hugs:

I just didn't pay attention to the person who posted it.

I can see that, but I think that's one of the reasons I love Steve so much, because he's so different to some of the superheroes that we have these days.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top