Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Honestly.. I didn't like Summer
Withouy Zooey, I would have hated her

Nicky
Old 06-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think I'm one of the few people who actually liked Summer.

We saw everything from Tom's POV, so I'm guessing that we only saw what he wanted to see. It was made clear in the montage when his sister told him to really look back at those moments. Both were at fault, he idealized her and she loved the attention and probably didn't make it clear enough for him to understand that she didn't want a serious relationship.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, I know, she said that at the beginning.. but Tom is Tom

Nicky
Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
Looks good! Love your review of the movie, ITA with what you said. The music in the movie. Loved every song they chose.

But yeah, this is not a romantic comedy, I've seen a lot of people who were disappointed that Summer and Tom didn't end up together, that it should have been a positive movie. But it was in fact a positive movie, the movie ended on a positive note. And tbh I wouldn't want Tom to end up with somebody who didn't love him the way he did love Summer.
Aww, thanks!

Yeah, I saw it with a friend and she hated it for the same reason.

I feel that Hollywood has pretty much brainwashed the moviegoers with this romantic notion of "happily ever after" that when it's challenged, people automatically close off and react negatively. It's sad because revolutionary writers and filmmakers get shutdown because of it, when in fact it should be welcomed as a refreshing change to the mundane happy endings.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sometimes a happy ending just doesn't fit. I prefer a sad ending over a forced happy ending. I think the way the movie handled the story of Tom and Summer was very realistic. And I'm really glad they didn't end up together because she didn't feel the same way about him and he would end up even more broken hearted later on.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 AM
Master Fan

Quote:

Sometimes a happy ending just doesn't fit. I prefer a sad ending over a forced happy ending. I think the way the movie handled the story of Tom and Summer was very realistic. And I'm really glad they didn't end up together because she didn't feel the same way about him and he would end up even more broken hearted later on.
Exactly.

That's why I liked it a lot when I first saw it, because it was realistic and didn't resort to any of the usual Hollywood brouhaha. And I thought Joe and Zooey were both brave to do this movie because it went against stereotypical "chick flicks".
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the happy ending depends on the history .. Of course in this movie could not be there because we saw how it started and how it ended, but in some stories if the two are deeply and truly in love for each other and encounter many obstacles that prevent them from being together, well in that case I do love to have a happy ending... But only if the story is believable and real...
Well, in the end, it's all about the script, maybe

Nicky
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Master Fan

I agree too, Nicky, just that I hate seeing happy endings all the freaking time. It's OK if, like you said, it's done in good taste. But I don't like forced happily ever afters. It's just... unsatisfying.

50/50 is also another example. People were expecting Joe and Anna's characters to kiss but they didn't and I thought that was the smart thing to do in a movie like that - leave it to the viewers' imaginations.

Never getting tired of this:

Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think that nowadays the majority of romantic comedies have quite weak scripts. I hardly ever like a romantic comedy these days. But if you ask me about movies like Sleepless in Seattle...those happy endings were perfect.

Quote:
50/50 is also another example. People were expecting Joe and Anna's characters to kiss but they didn't and I thought that was the smart thing to do in a movie like that - leave it to the viewers' imaginations.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think that nowadays the majority of romantic comedies have quite weak scripts. I hardly ever like a romantic comedy these days. But if you ask me about movies like Sleepless in Seattle...those happy endings were perfect.

Exactly. Oh God, SiS! I loved that movie too!

I know! I haven't even seen a romantic comedy this year! Weird.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

I watched What's Your Number? but it wasn't your typical romantic comedy.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Master Fan

I also liked the realistic ending of this relationship and movie. What I didn't like that much was the whole Autumn thing at the end. I would've preferred if he wouldn't had changed his mind to go back to her to ask her out. Or if there was no Autumn at all. That ruined the realistic approach of the movie for me a tiny bit. But I'm used to it by now and I guess it's at least a bit more positive end note.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleonor (View Post)
I also liked the realistic ending of this relationship and movie. What I didn't like that much was the whole Autumn thing at the end. I would've preferred if he wouldn't had changed his mind to go back to her to ask her out. Or if there was no Autumn at all. That ruined the realistic approach of the movie for me a tiny bit. But I'm used to it by now and I guess it's at least a bit more positive end note.
When I watched this with my brother I always thought the ending was cheesy and a little silly, but my brother really like how it ended with "autumn" so its free to interpretation. I do not like rom coms and I am glad this was the opposite of a rom com, showing the reality of "romances." I felt really bad for Tom but I totally see it from Summer's POV too watching her side of the story.

"Growing old will suck, but as long as I have you, I will feel invincible."
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Master Fan

Cheesy and silly, that's like exactly what I thought when I saw it the first time in the cinema. But like I said, I'm used to it now. I like how this is kind of a romcom without actually being a romcom. If you get what I'm trying to say.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

I liked the open ending and I was glad that it ended on a hopeful note for Tom. He deserved happiness.