Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for that!

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

The key to creativity? Start paying attention: Joseph Gordon-Levitt speaks at TED2019

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Inside the minds of creators. Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt has gotten more than his fair share of attention in his acting career (in which, oddly, he’s played two TED speakers: tightrope walker Philippe Petit and whistleblower Edward Snowden). But as life has morphed on social media, he’s found that there’s a more powerful force than getting attention: giving it. Paying attention is the real essence of creativity, he says — and we should do more of it. Legendary stage designer Es Devlin picks up on that theme of connection, taking us on a tour of the mind-blowing sets she’s created for Beyoncé, Adele, U2 and others; her work is aimed at fostering lasting connections and deep empathy in her audience. As she quotes E.M. Forster: “Only connect!”
He's right...

https://blog.ted.com/wonder-notes-fr...11-of-ted2019/
Quote:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, actor, filmmaker and founder of HITRECORD

Big idea: If your creativity is driven by a desire to get attention, you’re never going to be creatively fulfilled. What drives truly fulfilling creativity? Paying attention.
How? Social media platforms are fueled by getting attention, and more and more people are becoming experts at it — turning creativity from a joyous expression into a means to an end. But while Joseph Gordon-Levitt certainly knows what it feels like to get attention — he’s been in show business since he was 6, after all — he realized that the opposite feeling, paying attention, is the real essence of creativity. He describes the feeling of being locked in with another actor — thinking about and reacting only to what they’re doing, eliminating thoughts about himself. So get out there and collaborate, he says. Read more about Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s talk here.
Quote of the talk: “It’s like a pavlovian magic spell: ​rolling, speed, marker ​(clap)​, set and action​. Something happens to me, I can’t even help it. My attention narrows. And everything else in the world, anything else that might be bothering, or that might otherwise grab my attention, it all goes away.”

Nicky
Old 04-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for those!

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

https://www.businessinsider.com/jose...en-2019-4?IR=T

Quote:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt has a dilemma. His career as an actor and founder of the online community HitRecord requires him to garner loads of attention, something he hates.

"I'm pretty allergic to the way that actors' personal lives are often turned into fodder for entertainment," he told Business Insider. "I don't like people focusing on my personal life, my family, et cetera. That just makes me uncomfortable."

One of the worst offenders of his privacy, he said, is social media. On Thursday, Gordon-Levitt shared his distaste for Instagram and Twitter at the TED conference in Vancouver, Canada. Later, he told his fear of these platforms began a few years back, when he was studying up on the National Security Agency.

In 2016, Gordon-Levitt starred in a biographical thriller about Edward Snowden, the American whistleblower who leaked classified information showing that the NSA had been spying on everyday citizens.

To prepare for the role, Gordon-Levitt said he had to learn "quite a bit" about the US government's policy of mass surveillance, which some have seen as violating the Constitution.

"The more I looked into it, I was like, 'Oh man, what Google and Facebook are doing makes what the NSA is doing look like nothing,'" he told us. "That was actually a lot of what what started me down this line of thinking [about social media]."

In his TED talk, the actor described being "addicted" to Instagram, so much so that he began to compare his following to that of other actors. "I see that their number [of followers] is higher than mine and I feel terrible about myself," he said in his talk.

It's a problem he's continuing to sort through — and he believes most of us, including Snowden, face the same conundrum.

After the NSA's mass-surveillance program was revealed in 2013, people criticized Snowden's actions as self-serving. In a piece entitled "Edward Snowden Is No Hero," the writer Jeffrey Toobin said the leaking of classified information "speaks more to his ego than his conscience."

Gordon-Levitt described Snowden as a human being who's "not immune" to the basic desire for attention.

"I've spent some time with Ed and I really believe that he was acting in what he sincerely thought was the best interest of the country," the actor told us. "Now, does every soldier have some part of them that's seeking glory? Sure."

The actor is less willing to extend the same grace to tech companies, which have profited from collecting users' personal data.

"It's not the technology; it's the business model," he told Business Insider. "You don't have to monetize a worldwide social-media platform by spying on everybody, manipulating their perspective by only showing them one particular view of the world."

In fact, while Gordon-Levitt acknowledged in his TED talk that he's "a complete hypocrite" for getting hooked on social media, he also said that Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram are designed to prey on his insecurity.

"I've thought my whole life about why I am getting so much attention, and do I deserve that?" he said. "It seems that a lot of today's big social-media platforms have sort of taken advantage of this dynamic and used it to make a lot of money."

Nicky
Old 04-23-2019, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks! Interesting that he compared himself to other actors on social media, never thought he would be insecure about having fewer followers than other actors but this shows that we don't truly know the people we are fans of.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
Thanks! Interesting that he compared himself to other actors on social media, never thought he would be insecure about having fewer followers than other actors but this shows that we don't truly know the people we are fans of.
I thought the same. Plus there's a big difference on Instagram from actor to actor. I mean, some of them aren't even used by them personally, but it's their staff, and it shows, but if you're famous you still have a lot of followers. Example: Leonardo DiCaprio posts only about environment' things or rarely his movie to promote, and he's surely not the one posting, yet he has 30 milions of followers. Chris Hermsworth post almost daily, including instastories, and he's surely him the one posting, yet he still has only 28 milions of followers. Joe has 994 thousands.
I think though, that Joe still is "new" and many people don't know about his account, or maybe they want more "private" contents. Only if you're famous as DiCaprio or similar you can still have a big follow with no private contents.
Instagram is now like a window to show yourself, some actors are casted thanks to their followers.

Nicky
Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Moderator Support Team

Also, I think that it depend on celebrities on how they post when it comes to followers.. I mean, some don't care about important stuff unless for example, Chris H. always posting even tho in shirtless which that gain himself to have more followers.. And stuff like that..

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, it's about who's hot right now and the posting style. Jake Gyllenhaal joined IG recently and he had several hundred thousand followers after it was just announced he joined and he hadn't added anything yet.

But Joe is quite new to IG, so reaching almost 1M without having new movies coming out for the longest time, so no promo either, is a good achievement imo. I think IG might be a medium that's not for him? It's quite vain and all about catching the attention of somebody scrolling down their feed with visuals. I think it's way better suited for hitRECord, so I'm glad they decided to join.

BTW, a video of his TED talk will be available in August.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:24 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ Yes, exactly.. I totally agree.. Even tho I honestly don't understand why fans focus on their followers and the style they choose to post..

But it seems that Joe wasn't into IG bec it just mostly picture and the video, that was it.. Honestly, it seems that for himself as individual, it better for twitter, but for hitRECord, it would be IG..

Thanks for that..

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, his way of interacting with fans is better for Twitter.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hitrecord instagram is amazing, though

Nicky
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM
Moderator Support Team

^ Agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
Yeah, his way of interacting with fans is better for Twitter.
Exactly!

i'm trying,
but it won't stop!

Old 04-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, hitRECord is the perfect brand to promote on IG.