Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Elite Fan

Our little show is turning into a proper adult now omg
Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Gleanings from YA's 17th year

During the past year, I haven't found much new online stuff to contribute to an 18th anniversary thread for our soon-to-be-fully-legal show:

There's a YA publicity photo, online here, of Mark Famiglietti (Scout Calhoun), not previously seen by me, in the Beta Theta Pi fraternity sweatshirt used in both the unaired pilot shot in Georgia in autumn 1999 and in episode 3 when Scout accepts his role as Bella's brother. This piece of costuming seems to have been transported from Georgia to Maryland and store over the winter to make a non-verbal symbolic allusion based on the etymology of "fraternity."

There'a 16 May 2000 publicity photo, online here, of Rodney Scott (Will Krudski). The actors in this show were so young that they were still growing and look even younger in May 2002 or autumn 1999 than they did in July 2000, when episode 8 was filmed.

There's a bit of Rodney Scott footage, online here, from a 23 May 2000 TV blurb for the final episode of season 3 of Dawson's Creek.

There's also a new Young Americans fanfic out at AO3, online here, a version of the story in which Jake does not turn into a girl when kissed, it seems -- although it's hard to tell, since the author follows the unpleasant new fad of using "they" as a gender-neutral third-person-singular pronoun. However, the title of the fanfic is traditional: "Veritas est virtus."
Old 06-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that! I've seen that Mark pic before, and his expression in the photo always makes me crack up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
There's also a new Young Americans fanfic out at AO3, online here, a version of the story in which Jake does not turn into a girl when kissed, it seems -- although it's hard to tell, since the author follows the unpleasant new fad of using "they" as a gender-neutral third-person-singular pronoun.
Oh, I opened this in a tab the other week and then completely forgot about it, thanks for the reminder! From reading the tags, the whole point of the story seems to be that Jake isn't a boy or a girl, but nonbinary, so maybe that's what got you confused.