Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Passionate Fan

I like that title!

Good read. I particularly agree with this:
Quote:
this book and these two movies are what give meaning to the whole series,” said Lawrence
Mockingjay ended up being my favorite book out of the three. I'm happy they split the movie into two parts. And it gives us more Jennifer
Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkj13 (View Post)
I like that title!

Good read. I particularly agree with this:

Mockingjay ended up being my favorite book out of the three. I'm happy they split the movie into two parts. And it gives us more Jennifer
I heard so many say they didn't like the last book. But yes more Jennifer!

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2014, 01:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkj13 (View Post)
I'm very pleased that you say that. I've seen too many people state that Mockingjay is the weakest of the series as though it's just a given.

The reason's sited are often facile as well. It's too dark, even bleak (it's a war story for heaven's sake). There's no games (). Too many of our favourite characters die, or act such that they become unlikable or make us uneasy about liking them (crucial to making it a truthful depiction of war).

For me though Mockingjay is where the series turns into something truly special. Up until then it had been an engaging adventure story, with a strong central character, and a clear underlying metaphor. It was well written, tightly plotted, and gripping. Mockingjay though elevated it to another level.

It is in the third book that The Hunger Games really unpacks its themes, and properly delves into the consequences of violence, the costs and moralities of war, and the scars of victory. It does something too which made me want to applaud, which was to illustrate the truth about rebellions. In most stories of this nature the rebels are painted as bold, and brave. Decent souls who want only to create a better existence for all. In reality rebellions attract a vast range of people, and at their upper echelons are as capable of corruption, power-mongering, and self serving action as any other organised group. That Collin's book recognizes that is a welcome surprise. If nothing else, it's unique.

Mockingjay also feels largely like it's own animal. It's a sequel which doesn't seek to simply re-frame elements of it predecessor (which Catching Fire does for the most part) it has a story to tell which is uniquely it's own and it has little time to cater to those who would demand that it simply give us another games to engage with. It does that to a certain extent, the siege on the Capitol is essentially the hunger Games of the third book (Finnick even says as much), but the story is now much broader and it's themes far more complex than a simple critique of TV violence and media culture.

Mockingjay doesn't pull it's punches, and it treats it's audience with respect and intelligence. It's not interested in happy endings, it's interested in truthful endings. The Hunger Games isn't a fairytale, it's a deep and complex science fiction allegory, and it deserves to sit proudly beside the best in that genre, and it is Mockingjay that puts it there.
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Last edited by TPF1138; 11-01-2014 at 05:53 AM
Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Jennifer Lawrence

Interesting to see how this ends. Seeing how I have not read the books.

As I stated. A lot of people from what I've read online are split about the last book.

I've also finished 15 full length original scripts. here is a blog for them.
http://kipsscripts.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think Im gonna read MJ before the movie

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-LawForever (View Post)
A lot of people from what I've read online are split about the last book.
I maintain that that's because it (and I'm trying to be careful here, 'cause I know you haven't read it) Mockingjay doesn't give them the story or the conclusion that they want. It's tougher than that. There's no rousing march to victory, no rag tag band of heroes fighting against all the odds, there's no real catharsis. There's just bloody mayhem and war.

There are other reasons that I won't get into for fear of spoiling you, but what it comes down to is expectation vs reality. Some people wanted one thing, but the story wanted another.

Admittedly, the first couple of chapters are a bit clunky as Susanne ramps back up into the story, but once she gets there it really works and she starts rocking prose like this:

Quote:
I'm not flailing now, as my muscles are rigid with the tension of holding myself together. The pain over my heart returns, and from it I imagine tiny fissures spreading out into my body. Through my torso, down my arms and legs, over my face, leaving it crisscrossed with cracks. One good jolt of a bunker missile and I could shatter into strange, razor-sharp shards.

Mockingjay is my favourite book of the series. It just is.
Or the man who's half a boy.
~ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 11-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF1138 (View Post)
I'm very pleased that you say that. I've seen too many people state that Mockingjay is the weakest of the series as though it's just a given.

The reason's sited are often facile as well. It's too dark, even bleak (it's a war story for heaven's sake). There's no games (). Too many of our favourite characters die, or act such that they become unlikable or make us uneasy about liking them (crucial to making it a truthful depiction of war).

For me though Mockingjay is where the series turns into something truly special. Up until then it had been an engaging adventure story, with a strong central character, and a clear underlying metaphor. It was well written, tightly plotted, and gripping. Mockingjay though elevated it to another level.

It is in the third book that The Hunger Games really unpacks its themes, and properly delves into the consequences of violence, the costs and moralities of war, and the scars of victory. It does something too which made me want to applaud, which was to illustrate the truth about rebellions. In most stories of this nature the rebels are painted as bold, and brave. Decent souls who want only to create a better existence for all. In reality rebellions attract a vast range of people, and at their upper echelons are as capable of corruption, power-mongering, and self serving action as any other organised group. That Collin's book recognizes that is a welcome surprise. If nothing else, it's unique.
That right there is what I love about it. There's a lot of grey in life and situations, particularly war and it's consequences. Mockingjay explores that with the characters and the situations they're in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchLaw_Girl (View Post)
I think Im gonna read MJ before the movie
I'm in the middle of re-reading it now.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchLaw_Girl (View Post)
This one

easy

“She’s gone through a lot, and she’s very alone,” director Francis Lawrence
Thanks Hannah
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Closed Thread   Post New Thread