Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Thomas Barrow/Rob James-Collier #2: "I'm not the same as you, but I'm not foul."

Welcome to the 2nd
Thomas Barrow | Rob James-Collier
Appreciation Thread

Supporters:

01. skje
02. Guinevereღ
03. L i N d $ @ y
04. julyhsm
05. P&B4ever
06. confessor meggy
07. eleonor
08. hlgreenie
09. Goldenrose
10. marmuzetka
11. ElizaSparrow
12. Two-Core-Aura
13. AmericanDirrty
14. calls me home
15. baelfire24
16. Enora
17. quaist
Thomas Barrow

Thomas Barrow (played by Rob James-Collier) is underbutler at Downton Abbey, having started his employment there as first footman. Thomas tells O'Brien that his father was a clockmaker. He constantly hatches schemes with O'Brien, intending to have Bates removed from service at Downton. When Bates catches him stealing some of the Abbey's wine, Thomas attempts to frame him for the theft. Bates, however, manages to prove his innocence.

Thomas is also homosexual. In series one, he tries to blackmail his former lover, the Duke of Crowborough. Later, when Kemal Pamuk visits Downton, Thomas is rebuffed when he attempts to kiss the Ottoman diplomat. Pamuk later uses this incident to blackmail Thomas, threatening to inform Lord Grantham about his past unless Thomas agreed to guide Pamuk to the room of Lady Mary Crawley later that same evening.

In series two, the First World War breaks out and Thomas signs up to the Royal Army Medical Corps in an effort to avoid frontline action. However, he ends up on the battlefield anyway. Thomas purposefully puts his hand in the line of fire in order to gain a blighty wound and be sent home. Upon his return to Britain, he gets permission to work at Downton in a military capacity when the residence is made into a hospital for injured officers.

When the war ends, Thomas tries to make a profit by taking advantage of the nationwide rationing by selling goods on the black market. This scheme fails, however, when he is sold worthless goods and is rendered penniless. He returns to Downton as first footman although he, as always, plans to move up to a higher position in the house staff. During Bates' murder trial, Thomas applies for Bates' old job, but is rejected by Lord Grantham. He steals the Crawley family dog, Isis, whom he hopes to "find" to falsely curry Lord Grantham's favour. However, when he goes to reclaim the dog, he discovers her missing, and in his panic trying to find her in the woods, he trips on several fallen branches and falls in the dirt, getting muddied and his clothes torn. On returning home, relieved to find that Isis is safe, he learns from Grantham that some children had found and returned the dog, seemingly ruining Thomas' plan. However, his physical dishevelment deceives Grantham into thinking that Thomas has more integrity and concern for the family than Grantham had realised, and Grantham later tells Carson that he is willing to give Thomas a try as valet. In the third series, on O´Brians instigations, he is aroused by the handsome new footman Jimmy and at some point walks into him, trying to kiss the sleeping Jimmy. As he is caught out by Alfred who walks in on this scene, he comes close to being sacked and even arrested by the police for indecent behaviour but is rescued by Lord Grantham who feels sorry for him and also needs his superb cricket skills for the upcoming match between the house and the village. Thomas excels in the match and a new job is created for him as he is made under-butler, much to Mr Bates´ consternation.

Thomas was originally meant to be written out of the show at the end of the first series once he had had his "comeuppance". However, after James-Collier had filmed the first two episodes of the show the producers contacted his agent and asked if he'd liked to be optioned for the second and third series.
Rob James-Collier

Robert James-Collier (born 23 September 1976) is a British actor and model. He is known for his roles as Liam Connor in Coronation Street and as Thomas Barrow on Downton Abbey.

Having no experience as an actor, James-Collier auditioned for the series Down To Earth. Stars Ricky Tomlinson and Denise Welch were convinced by his talent, and he got the part of the womanising pub landlord. In 2006 he appeared in New Street Law and played a small part as Stud in Shameless series 3, episode 5 under the name of Rob Collier.

In 2006 he joined Coronation Street as one of the brothers buying a share of the local underwear factory. He left the show in October 2008. In an interview in early 2008, James-Collier announced he was leaving the soap but was planning to come back in the future. However, in June 2008, it was reported that the character of Liam was set to be 'brutally' killed off in the soap as part of a murder-mystery plotline where three well known residents would fall under suspicion for the crime. One of these would be Tony Gordon played by Gray O'Brien, who was in a relationship with Carla Connor played by Alison King in the show.

Since leaving Coronation Street, James-Collier has had a leading role in Downton Abbey and has appeared in the West End stage version of Calendar Girls.

Previous threads: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 09-28-2013 at 05:04 AM
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 AM
New Fan

Will Thomas be a better person?

I hope in season 4 that Thomas does SOMETHING that has redeeming social value. So far he has done so many evil things. And since he is different, some attribute his character flaws to his nature, which would perpetuate a sterotype. SO, I predict that JF will give Thomas some positive story lines.

If his evilness is too valuable to undo, then JF HAS to bring in another gay character and make that person kind or SOMETHING. Remember Duke Crowborough going 'exploring?' Another gay character with poor social skills. JF has some 'splainin'* to do!

* from Ricky Ricardo's Cuban influenced English on the 1950s-19602 'I Love Lucy' show.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

I always really liked Thomas ,perhaps because he had something of a bad boy
in the last episode 3 series, as he was beaten because he wanted to help James (I don't remember if that was the name of the boy) it was a lovely scene!

I hope that in season 4 will be more scenes with his participation, and again we will be blessed with an interesting plot with his participation
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Moderator Manager

^ I like your UN btw.

Thomas has certainly redeemd himself in S3. We saw a lot of evil things from him in S1/S2 but S3 has really given him a great SL, even taking that punch from Jimmy which I found surprising. Yes he likes him but Jimmy didn't ask for it and it's rather big of him to do that to him. And he looked to be enjoying himself at the cricket match too so that was a nice thing to see.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

What do you mean? (I'm not sure ,I understand what's going on )*
I'm sorry, but I don't know English so well, sometimes don't fully understand what you write- grammatically. I'm sorry for the mistakes
In 3 series his behavior definitely changed. For the better, of course.
I would like to ,in the future, more attention was paid to him.* if you have any idea when he will be 4 series?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Moderator Manager

I meant I like your username. It's a conjoined one between Harry/Draco right?

I'm also hoping that we'll get a really good storyline for him in S4. I did think S3 was set-up good for him. There's the Jimmy thing and he's under butler. And it is now known that he's gay. I mean everyone knew but it's all out in the open now.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yes, exactly
some are fantastically written, and I have a soft spot for them I had no idea that someone can guess what's going on with that name.
I like that, for example, Mr. Granthan, Robert, if I remember correctly when he heard about it did not throw Thomas out the door.I hope in the next season to develop his story.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Moderator Manager

As a HP fan, I'd know.

I was surprised with Robert's reaction. Granted he knew but I was expecting the same reaction as Carson. I'm not complaining though, I still want Thomas around.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

Me too. it's definitely one of my favorite characters
Robert acted like it was normal for him, Thomas is lucky that Robert is so understanding!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarry (View Post)
Me too. it's definitely one of my favorite characters
Robert acted like it was normal for him, Thomas is lucky that Robert is so understanding!
But on the same time he made it very clear that he did not want Thomas as his valet because he was gay, though he did eventually come around (but was delighted to get Bates back and very happy to send Thomas on his way in favour of Bates).

Though they do this often with Robert...they have him state something and then learn more beyond his original opinion.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Master Fan

I think you meant he (as in Julian Fellowes). Because, he had almost done all the writing for Downton Abbey, actually, he has done all the writing since 1x07.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Moderator Manager

I've often wondered had this been another family if it would've been different for Thomas...

Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Moderator Manager

I'm not ready but I'm looking forward to it.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

That doesn't surprise me.
Spoiler:

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Moderator Manager

Spoiler: