Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2014, 06:23 PM
New Fan

Wow, it's been months since I've posted! I'm popping in to say that I have a headcanon in which Mary is visiting the Branksome estate (for whatever reason) and it's beautiful and classy -- and she has this moment in which she realizes: "Oh my, I could see myself as lady of this house" a la Lizzy Bennet re: Pemberly in 'Pride and Prejudice'.

To keep with the Jane Austen storyline (Lizzy/Darcy is the ultimate OTP, after all), perhaps Evelyn returns early from his travels and crosses paths with Mary whilst on the property. She's terribly embarrassed, but of course she's pleased to see him. Evelyn asks here, "Do you approve?" and she earnestly responds, "I do, very much." *flail*
Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitis (View Post)
Wow, it's been months since I've posted! I'm popping in to say that I have a headcanon in which Mary is visiting the Branksome estate (for whatever reason) and it's beautiful and classy -- and she has this moment in which she realizes: "Oh my, I could see myself as lady of this house" a la Lizzy Bennet re: Pemberly in 'Pride and Prejudice'.

To keep with the Jane Austen storyline (Lizzy/Darcy is the ultimate OTP, after all), perhaps Evelyn returns early from his travels and crosses paths with Mary whilst on the property. She's terribly embarrassed, but of course she's pleased to see him. Evelyn asks here, "Do you approve?" and she earnestly responds, "I do, very much." *flail*
Hey, missed seeing you post here! welcome back!

I love love love this idea--may I have your permission to write a little drabble about it?

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
Hey, missed seeing you post here! welcome back!

I love love love this idea--may I have your permission to write a little drabble about it?
pleeeease write this -- i can't wait to read it!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
pleeeease write this -- i can't wait to read it!
I'll get to work on it! I have a few others in the pipeline as well

Here's one I finally got around to posting--how Mary and Evelyn very well might have met. With a healthy helping of Rodgers and Hammerstein's inspiration: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10819743/1/Ten-Minutes-Ago

Old 11-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Moderator Manager

I love that Digital Spy likes them.

Quote:
Welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
Here's one I finally got around to posting--how Mary and Evelyn very well might have met. With a healthy helping of Rodgers and Hammerstein's inspiration: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10819743/1/Ten-Minutes-Ago
Thanks for sharing this.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Dedicated Fan

I actually do have a headcanon that Evelyn's house looks like Chatsworth ( the house they used for Pemberly. It's quite beautiful.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Moderator Manager

What does it look like? I'd have to take a peek at my copy to see.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
What does it look like? I'd have to take a peek at my copy to see.
This is Chatsworth

I don't know much about British nobility or whether they were most likely to have their main estate located in the land to which they are titled.
Also trying to look for locations that are possibly more realistic like in the Branksome area. Couldn't find anything specifically in Branksome yet but this is a nice estate somewhere in Dorset known as Kingston Lacy House
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Part-Time Fan

This is from a 2005 post in which Julian Fellowes discusses a movie he directed

Quote:
But Separate Lies is also about loyalty; and loyalty, beyond sex appeal or romance or even humour, is, I am pretty sure, the key element in marriage. Initially, James Manning (the superb Tom Wilkinson) is loyal to all sorts of received theories and rigid moral concepts but, by the end, he is loyal only to love which, I suspect, is what we seek when it comes to marriage.
- Secrets and wives - Telegraph

Excuse me but this screams EVELYN!!!

Also, many of us have a theory that Julian models Evelyn Napier after himself considering Julian's mother-in-law likes to call him Evelyn, and Evelyn in Downton comes from the same county that Fellowes lives in. To add to that I remember Julian saying how he felt rather un-confident and self conscious before he married his wife. We all know Evelyn might be these things considering his shyness. I found a quote in which Fellowes discusses his wife and mother as such
Quote:
"Now there are men who are made nervous by strong women, but I am made nervous by weak women: I don't know what they want of me- the sort of clinging vine type...My wife is very strong and very good-looking...There is something about very strong, intelligent, good-looking, rather bossy women that makes me feel safe. So I suppose form that comes a certain admiration for that type."
To me this screams Evelyn and Mary.

Last edited by tvlover92; 11-13-2014 at 03:07 AM
Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlover92 (View Post)
I've visited it, and the house and grounds are truly beautiful, I know they used that to represent Pemberley in the movie version of Pride and Prejudice, with the gorgeous Matthew MacFadyen as Mr Darcy, and Keira Knightley as Elizabeth.

I liked it, but for me the tv version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle was the best
Old 11-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlover92 (View Post)
This is from a 2005 post in which Julian Fellowes discusses a movie he directed

- Secrets and wives - Telegraph

Excuse me but this screams EVELYN!!!

Also, many of us have a theory that Julian models Evelyn Napier after himself considering Julian's mother-in-law likes to call him Evelyn, and Evelyn in Downton comes from the same county that Fellowes lives in. To add to that I remember Julian saying how he felt rather un-confident and self conscious before he married his wife. We all know Evelyn might be these things considering his shyness. I found a quote in which Fellowes discusses his wife and mother as such To me this screams Evelyn and Mary.
That is so sweet and it totally is them!

I'm pretty sure I read too his mother-in-law calls him Evelyn . Makes me think of Evelyn and Cora.

I like that other house too! It's definitely on my bucket list to visit Chatsworth.

Another cool connection is Julian's favorite writer is Trollope and Evelyn is fond of him too.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for those pictures, they both look beautiful actually. I do love that Chatsworth has that water in-front.

And thanks for posting that quote tvlover92! I agree that it's so them!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think it's really cool how much of himself he put into Evelyn as a character, the more I read about Fellowes.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Moderator Manager

Blushing Cora approves of this ship!

x

Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 AM
Dedicated Fan

I was rewatching the first season and I just love Mary's "Who wants an old sea monster when they can have Perseus?"