Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Moderator Manager

Isobel Crawley/Penelope Wilton #1: She'd always like to have a bit of authority.

Welcome to the 1st
Isobel Crawley | Penelope Wilton
Appreciation Thread

Supporters:

1. L i N d $ @ y
2. Guinevereღ
3. sofiab
4. eleonor
5. Goldenrose
6. EndlessღLove
Isobel Crawley

Isobel Crawley (nee Turnbull) (played by Penelope Wilton) is Matthew's widowed mother. Originally from Manchester, she is the daughter of a doctor (her husband Reginald Crawley studied under her father) and her brother is also a doctor. Isobel was a nurse during the Boer War and initially helps Dr Clarkson at the village hospital, much to his chagrin (as she constantly undermines his decisions). Upon moving to Downton she and Matthew live in a relatively modest dwelling with a butler, Molesley, and a cook, Mrs Bird. Isobel embodies a different set of values to those of the Crawleys. When she and Matthew first arrive at Downton she tells him that while she will not alter her lifestyle, and neither will she succumb to their stereotypes and expectations. Her more modern and liberal values put her at odds with Violet for most of the first series.

In the second series, Isobel takes up a position of authority at Downton when, at her suggestion, it is turned into a convalescent home for injured soldiers. At first expecting to be in charge of the day-to-day operations, she engages in a rather petty power struggle with Cora, much to the amusement of their children, and eventually leaves Downton for France to work with the Red Cross. She later returns when she discovers that Matthew was badly injured in the war, and stays at Downton for the remainder of the war. Although initially opposed to Matthew's relationship with Lady Mary after the death of his fiancée Lavinia, she helps to persuade him to propose to her again, which he does, and Lady Mary accepts. Towards the end of the second series she leaves to work for a war refugee organisation, encouraged by Cora (for her own reasons).

In the third series, Isobel helps prostitutes and other down-on-their-luck women change their way of life. She equally gives a hand to Ethel by employing her as a cook, to the consternation of her current cook Mrs. Bird. Although she had a contentious working relationship with Dr. Clarkson in Series one and two, while helping out at his village hospital, she and Clarkson suddenly form a friendly relationship. Dr. Clarkson is ready to propose marriage, but Isobel tells him she is happy to have his friendship.
Penelope Wilton

Penelope Alice Wilton, OBE (born 3 June 1946) is an English actress of stage, film, and TV. She starred opposite Richard Briers in the BBC situation comedy Ever Decreasing Circles. She has also appeared in Doctor Who and the period drama Downton Abbey. She has twice won the Critics' Circle Theatre Award. Wilton has been married to two distinguished actors, Daniel Massey and Ian Holm. Until her success as Downton Abbey's Isobel Crawley, she was best known to American audiences for her portrayal of South African anti-apartheid activist Wendy Woods in the 1987 film Cry Freedom.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 09-28-2013 at 05:17 AM
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Elite Fan

She's so funny
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

She's fantastic. DA has some strong and resourceful women, Isobel is one of them. Her scenes with Violet are always a highlight for me.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Please add me to the list

I love Lady Isobel especially her scenes with Matthew and Violet for very different reasons
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I haven't seen all episodes yet - but when does Isobel become a Lady?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Actually now that you mention it I don't think she does get called Lady they just call her Cousin Isobel. We should change the title
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Moderator Manager

Yeah, you girls are right. She wasn't called Lady Isobel - mostly Mrs. Crawley as she doesn't have the stature like the rest.

I love her for wanting to help out with the hospital and she got interested with it because of her late husband. She has been a big part of those who helped the wounded soldiers during the war.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

She has been a big help and convinced the Crawley's to open their home to the injured soldiers who were recovering
Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Add me

Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Moderator Manager

Added you.

That's really one of Isobel's great contribution to the war - helping out the wounded soldiers.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Master Fan

Add me please?

Isobel is kind, nice and altogether just awesome. She's the honorary Hufflepuff of Downton. And her interaction with Violet is funny.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

She is so caring and kind and wants to help as much as she can with the hospital and then at Downton with the injured soldiers

Welcome Laura
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Moderator Manager

Welcome Laura and yes, I agree that she's the Hufflepuff of Downton.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

I like the sound of that The hufflepuff of Downton

I love that pic the dress look lovely
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Moderator Manager

I've also been teary-eyed a few times because of her. Especially when she was crying when they found out that Matthew can walk again and she was saying to him "My darling boy...my darling boy..." and she went up to kiss him.